Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all in Porsche Land!
Recently I've made a switch from 2012 Audi TTS to 718 Boxster 2017 and very excited about my new car performance and all the technical wonders built in and has to offer and equally excited and looking forward to discussions and learning about this new brand on this Forum.
Unfortunately, my new Boxster will be indoor/garaged for the N Idaho winter and first and most importantly I'm interested to learn how to prepare for the approx. 4 to 5 months storage, ie. recommended battery maintenance, tire rotation, etc..
I would appreciate comments and recommendations on this matter.
Regards to all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I drove home my 2017, 718 Boxster on 10/10/2016. I'm so glad that made the switch from Audi TTS Roadster to 718, there are many plusses that I have already identified, among the many, the most important features are that the mid engine mount handles far better than the TTS all wheel drive and the steering is far better than on the Audi.
It was not a special order but a little searching/shopping around, I took the nearest, 1st available basic 718 with an approx. $12K useful options, GT silver with 19" wheels, etc.. It was a lucky find, all the options are what I wanted.
Pretty much figured out most functions but I have no clue how to fold the manual side mirrors to make driving in-out of garage easier. It is not referenced in the +/- 300 pages of Manual, so a help would be appreciated.
Also, if anyone could give me a contact for Porsche/Boxster Club in N. Idaho/N. E. Washington area, it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Congratulations ! Glad to hear you're enjoying it and glad to hear you made the right choice. As for the mirrors, have you tried pushing them inwards ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi
my proposal would be:

* go to your storage garage each week end
* spend 1 hour there, let start the engine and keep it running 15/20 minutes
* APPRECIATE the beauty of the car and listen the noises :)
* go back home and remember all the week te smell and the noises

More seriously, I would :
* maintain the battery on thanks to a new smart battery charger (such as CTEK model or an Optimate one). Don't disconnecr the battery, our 718 has a computer which is always running even when the car is parked and stopped. It needs power and it will discharge the battery during a long time .
* you can elevate the car on order to avoid the tire touching the ground. but best it to move the car ..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congratulations ! Glad to hear you're enjoying it and glad to hear you made the right choice. As for the mirrors, have you tried pushing them inwards ?
Justin, thx for your advise to turn the mirrors manually and yes, I've tried very gently but I'm afraid that I might cause some $$$ damage, rather go back to the dealer and try it in the showroom on their car, better yet let them to twist/turn their mirrors to demonstrate the right way to do it.
The Manual is very vague, saying to turn the mirror "diagonally" which is impossible due to the fact that the mounting bracket is installed parallel with the mirror housing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi
my proposal would be:

* go to your storage garage each week end
* spend 1 hour there, let start the engine and keep it running 15/20 minutes
* APPRECIATE the beauty of the car and listen the noises :)
* go back home and remember all the week te smell and the noises

More seriously, I would :
* maintain the battery on thanks to a new smart battery charger (such as CTEK model or an Optimate one). Don't disconnecr the battery, our 718 has a computer which is always running even when the car is parked and stopped. It needs power and it will discharge the battery during a long time .
* you can elevate the car on order to avoid the tire touching the ground. but best it to move the car ..

Pierre, Thanks for your "Winter Storage" maintenance advise, I'll follow your suggestions, point by point, specially the "smell and engine noise" observation.
In the mean time I bought a "Porsche" charger, (sadly, later discovered that it is nothing but a less $$, re-labeled CTEK charger) and after the last ride of the season, planning to hook it up and leave it on all winter to maintain battery charged condition.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Justin, thx for your advise to turn the mirrors manually and yes, I've tried very gently but I'm afraid that I might cause some $$$ damage, rather go back to the dealer and try it in the showroom on their car, better yet let them to twist/turn their mirrors to demonstrate the right way to do it.
The Manual is very vague, saying to turn the mirror "diagonally" which is impossible due to the fact that the mounting bracket is installed parallel with the mirror housing.
That's definitely a good idea to go to the showroom then !! Diagonally ?! What does that even mean lol

But in regards to winter storage, Make sure you do a real fine detail on it and give it a good waxing or paint sealant. Dress the tires nicely so they're conditioned well, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts