Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

Registered
I was driving home the other day and went to overtake a car and suddenly realised my car had no power, the max boost I could get was 1 psi . I drove home and waited a hour so so and tried the car again and it was fine. Have only driven a couple of short journeys since and it has been ok. Was your problem progressive or did it just happen one day and it was stuck like that? Mine is also a base 718
I have exactly the same problem. It started a few weeks ago as I drive along the turbo suddenly stops responding to throttle and engine tries to get power by revving higher this continues all the journey . If I stop and restart the engine it has returned a few times it鈥檚 very irregular and unfortunately all dealers shut to get looked at 馃檮 I鈥檇 be interested to know if yours was fixed and how?

Registered
Are the dealer service departments also closed? Around here, the sales floor is closed, but service remains open

Registered
Yeah the entire countries dealerships are shut including service and I鈥檓 guessing it鈥檚 gonna be June before I get it looked at 馃槱馃槱馃う馃徎鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
Quick update, mine is currently back with dealer with the same boost pressure fault that I originally posted (amongst other issues) disconcerting given that it has had a turbo replacement already. First one lasted 10 months, this one 12 months. Car is 22 months old with 20k miles on it.

Premium Member
Quick update, mine is currently back with dealer with the same boost pressure fault that I originally posted (amongst other issues) disconcerting given that it has had a turbo replacement already. First one lasted 10 months, this one 12 months. Car is 22 months old with 20k miles on it.
This has to be another issue that is causing the failure. To me it sounds like an oiling issue, something somewhere is restricting the oil needed to keep things lubed and cool.

Registered
Discussion Starter #27
It did develop a misfire and EML right before it was recovered, you could hear the engine hunting and black smoke under throttle. Apparently Porsche have asked the dealer to run a compression test but haven't heard back yet. Its sad to say but this is the flakiest car I've ever owned!

Super Moderator
It did develop a misfire and EML right before it was recovered, you could hear the engine hunting and black smoke under throttle. Apparently Porsche have asked the dealer to run a compression test but haven't heard back yet. Its sad to say but this is the flakiest car I've ever owned!
That is indeed sad.馃槥
Back when I started to drive (1964!) all cars seemed to break down and need regular repairs and comprehensive maintenance. Things have improved markedly since those days and none of my past 4 cars have needed anything but minor maintenance or a quick fix for a "teething trouble".
I really hope they find and fix whatever's causing the problem.

Registered
I just had the turbo replaced on my 2019 Cayman Base, build date Jan 11, 2019, 13K miles. It's a DD all year. I had an intermittent but recurring Engine Control Fault/Driving Permitted. I didn't notice any performance problems, so I waited until they had a loaner available. I got Moby DIck, a big white Cayenne and sailed home for the 7 days to diagnose and source a new turbo. As previously reported here, the waste gate was stuck in one position. Sorry, didn't record any boost numbers. For some reason, the air conditioner works better now.

Registered
Re: Sticking wastegate actuator

718 2.0L with 5000 miles, 18 months old.
Also experienced the same issue. Juddery power delivery under hard acceleration and PSM warning light. The issue was diagnosed by local Porsche centre as seized wastegate actuator on the turbo. Repaired under warranty. The turbo was not replaced but the actuator was freed up and greased.

I've just joined the forum and already posted on this topic on a different discussion. Here are my thoughts on the issue:

Registered
My 2018 Cayman base with 24k miles also developed no boost. Took it to the dealer and they freed and lubed the wastegate actuator. That was 1 month ago. So far so good.

Registered
My 2018 Cayman base with 24k miles also developed no boost. Took it to the dealer and they freed and lubed the wastegate actuator. That was 1 month ago. So far so good.
Did you ever get an engine warning come up? Mine has been suffering on and off for months but has never showed any warnings of underboost.

Registered
Re: Sticking wastegate actuator

718 2.0L with 5000 miles, 18 months old.
Also experienced the same issue. Juddery power delivery under hard acceleration and PSM warning light. The issue was diagnosed by local Porsche centre as seized wastegate actuator on the turbo. Repaired under warranty. The turbo was not replaced but the actuator was freed up and greased.

I've just joined the forum and already posted on this topic on a different discussion. Here are my thoughts on the issue:
Had my base 718 since end of July 20. Got the yellow PSM warning light at the weekend but it went off at next restart. Phoned OPC to see if they could check car out and they came back with a failed actuator. Car has done 29k and 3 years old. Replacing whole turbo under warranty, Porsche need to take notice of how many of these units are failing. I dont want to be replacing the turbo
every year.

Registered
I contacted Porsche UK and their response was very disappointing. Here is a summary of their response:
  • Seizure of the wastgate actuator is not a known fault and there are no recalls on this model.
  • Porsche UK are unable to confirm the number of vehicles which have highlighted a concern with the turbo wastegate actuator.
  • I queried if the 2.0L was more susceptible to the issue. Porsche responded that they have no records to show this is the case.
  • There are a number of factors that could cause a part to deteriorate at a faster rate than expected. For this reason Porsche recommend that customers extend their warranty when the manufacturer鈥檚 warranty ends.

Registered
I contacted Porsche UK and their response was very disappointing. Here is a summary of their response:
  • Seizure of the wastgate actuator is not a known fault and there are no recalls on this model.
  • Porsche UK are unable to confirm the number of vehicles which have highlighted a concern with the turbo wastegate actuator.
  • I queried if the 2.0L was more susceptible to the issue. Porsche responded that they have no records to show this is the case.
  • There are a number of factors that could cause a part to deteriorate at a faster rate than expected. For this reason Porsche recommend that customers extend their warranty when the manufacturer鈥檚 warranty ends.
I saw your post GSC, not what we want to be hearing from Porsche. It cant be that hard for them to get a number on on the units that have failed or they
have replaced.

Registered
I saw your post GSC, not what we want to be hearing from Porsche. It cant be that hard for them to get a number on on the units that have failed or they
have replaced.
My turbo started failing in March but was intermittent, OPC Exeter changed the whole unit in September after having the car a number of times.

Registered
have replaced.
It is probably worth logging this with Porsche UK. At the moment they do not recognise the issue with the wastegate actuator as a known fault. The more cases that are reported the more likely they are to investigate.

Registered
That鈥檚 ridiculous. We need to extend the warranty ourselves, which is obviously not free, to cover an issue they are aware of but choose to do nothing about? That doesn鈥檛 even make sense. During the extended warranty period they will still say it鈥檚 a known issue and will refuse to fix it unless it鈥檚 a complete turbo failure. The turbo wastegate actuators clearly have problems. Porsche should step up and take care of their customers. To be honest, this sours my Porsche experience.

Registered
I鈥檓 not a fan of NTHSA. Regardless, perhaps we should report these failures to them...certainly couldn鈥檛 hurt.

Reactions: cbarra

Registered
Had the yellow PSM warning light several times before first service (24 months old & 8k) - lost power, stopped, switched off and warning light cleared. Asked Porsche Newcastle to have a look at it during the service, which they did and advised seized waste gate actuator (happened apparently because it is 'exposed'). Asked them if they have seen this problem before 'no, never!' They then just said drive more and it shouldn't happen again. Disappointed with their response after reading all the similar comments on here - seems like a design issue which will keep repeating itself - especially with reduced driving due to lockdown.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts