Porsche 718 Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Had the yellow PSM warning light several times before first service (24 months old & 8k) - lost power, stopped, switched off and warning light cleared. Asked Porsche Newcastle to have a look at it during the service, which they did and advised seized waste gate actuator (happened apparently because it is 'exposed'). Asked them if they have seen this problem before 'no, never!' They then just said drive more and it shouldn't happen again. Disappointed with their response after reading all the similar comments on here - seems like a design issue which will keep repeating itself - especially with reduced driving due to lockdown.
It is worth logging this with Porsche UK. Last week Porsche UK confirmed again that the issue with the wastegate actuator is not a known fault and does not warrant a recall. The more cases that are reported the more likely they are to investigate.

Is it the 2.0L engine?

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is the 2.0 L engine - I will be writing to them tomorrow. The more they are advised the better hopefully!

·
Super Moderator
1,530 Posts
Had the yellow PSM warning light several times before first service (24 months old & 8k) - lost power, stopped, switched off and warning light cleared. Asked Porsche Newcastle to have a look at it during the service, which they did and advised seized waste gate actuator (happened apparently because it is 'exposed'). Asked them if they have seen this problem before 'no, never!' They then just said drive more and it shouldn't happen again. Disappointed with their response after reading all the similar comments on here - seems like a design issue which will keep repeating itself - especially with reduced driving due to lockdown.
Ummm, PSM is Porsche Stability Management. Did you get the incorrect acronym or is your dealer hopeless?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am just stating what happened at the official local Porsche dealer when the fault was reported. The fault has not re-occurred.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So how did the dealer relate a PSM failure to the turbo?
I think you need a new mechanic.
When I encountered the issue the PSM warning light also came on, accompanied by a loss of power and juddering. The fault was diagnosed by Porsche Edinburgh as seized wastegate actuator on the turbo.

My understanding is that the wastegate regulates turbo boost and therefore, when the wastegate gets stuck the turbo boost is not regulated correctly. Presumably the PSM warning light then appears as a result of the issue with the engine speed.

·
Super Moderator
1,530 Posts
When I encountered the issue the PSM warning light also came on, accompanied by a loss of power and juddering. The fault was diagnosed by Porsche Edinburgh as seized wastegate actuator on the turbo.

My understanding is that the wastegate regulates turbo boost and therefore, when the wastegate gets stuck the turbo boost is not regulated correctly. Presumably the PSM warning light then appears as a result of the issue with the engine speed.
That all sounds quite bizarre to me, but I'm not an engineering whizz-old man 😁. Whatever, I hope it doesn't re-occur.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts