Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the 718 base single exhaust tip be removed and retrofitted to the dual exhaust or is that something you have to do when ordering the car?

·
Super Moderator
1,783 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
single to dual

So don't be an arse-troll, and maybe some of us will.

(For everyone else: OEM 718 tip assemblies are interchangeable, to the point where even a couple of aftermarket exhaust makers offer tip assemblies for OEM application. Here's an example from Fabspeed.)[/QUOT
Wow, that's a big hit for something like that change with ZERO improvement in performance or sound.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Can the 718 base single exhaust tip be removed and retrofitted to the dual exhaust or is that something you have to do when ordering the car?
Yes, you can definitely buy and install the OEM dual tips or aftermarket tips designed specifically for the 718. You can look in your local area for a used set. Maybe you'll get lucky, I'm shopping for the same thing...

·
Registered
388 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
I went back and forth many times on whether I wanted to spend the extra $660 to get the twin sports tailpipes when ordering my base Cayman. I decided against it, figuring if I get tired of the look of the single exhaust tip I could easily install an aftermarket one for around the same cost.

BTW, I like the look of the Fabspeed tips in Carbon Fiber.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,783 Posts
I went back and forth many times on whether I wanted to spend the extra $660 to get the twin sports tailpipes when ordering my base Cayman. I decided against it, figuring if I get tired of the look of the single exhaust tip I could easily install an aftermarket one for around the same cost.

BTW, I like the look of the Fabspeed tips in Carbon Fiber.
As do I. That said, I'd require an aftermarket solution that was black (and carbon fiber doesn't count).

It's worth noting that my OEM black-chrome double tips are already pockmarked with tiny pits after about 5K miles/five months. The equivalents on my BMW 2 Series never showed any signs of major pitting in 18k miles/nearly three years. The pitting isn't visible unless you're up close, but it's not normal. Depending on how much worse it gets, I may make a warranty claim at the 10k service.

·
Super Moderator
1,200 Posts
For my money there are way too many cheap cars with twin tail pipes (or even twin pairs!) that I decided I liked the big single exhaust.

·
Registered
125 Posts
For my money there are way too many cheap cars with twin tail pipes (or even twin pairs!) that I decided I liked the big single exhaust.
I like you Greg. I felt the same way about leaving the default option of the single 'trumpet' exhaust.

Also the whole PSE louder, more aggressive sound was completely a turn off. If I could make the car quieter and keep the same performance I would.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Also the whole PSE louder, more aggressive sound was completely a turn off. If I could make the car quieter and keep the same performance I would.
I feel the same way. Maybe it's my age (55) but an overly loud exhaust note is a turn-off for me.

·
Registered
344 Posts
But the reality is that they are far outnumbered by cheap cars with single exhausts.

Perhaps, but the single 'trumpet' exhaust placed in the center is pretty classic Porsche styling not found in most any other car, cheap or otherwise.

·
892 Posts
Perhaps, but the single 'trumpet' exhaust placed in the center is pretty classic Porsche styling not found in most any other car, cheap or otherwise.
Is a single tip exhaust placed in the centre classic Porsche styling? The central placement has been often used but the fitment of merely the one tip far less so & has mainly been used to mark out the base model Boxster's & Caymans. Porsche identified the need to offer an alternative twin tip & that they could also charge a rather large premium for it. Despite that large premium it still sells well (judging by the number of base Boxster's & Cayman's running around the U.K fitted with one in any case) & yet they've never identified the need to offer a single tip to S customers wishing to change the other way. If you like the single tip exhaust that's fine but personally I do not. We all have different tastes & surely that's a good thing. But in much the same way as you dislike loud sports exhausts I've made sure all three of my Porsches were fitted with one & if my car were fitted with only the single tip exit it would definitely have to go, because it's horrible!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Is a single tip exhaust placed in the centre classic Porsche styling? The central placement has been often used but the fitment of merely the one tip far less so

That's my point.

Plus, if I had ordered the car with the dual tip, and paid $660 extra, they don't also give me the stock single tip. Whereas, by ordering the car with the stock single tip I can always change to a double tip later (for the same cost as adding it as an option with my order), which will change the look of the car while effectively getting the standard exhaust tip for free.

·
892 Posts
That's my point.
However that wasn't exactly what you conveyed in the quoted statement, hence my misunderstanding. Either way it's not important & the main thing is it's only down to personal tastes. Even though I dislike the single tip & always have, I can appreciate that some might possibly like it if only because it is so unusual. One thing I did note is that you state you can order the twin pipe for the same price as factory at a later date & therefore you simply can't lose should you ever decide to do so. But it's highlighted yet another of those quirky pricing differences betwixt Porsche U.K & Porsche U.SA. In the U.K it's considerably cheaper to fit the twin pipe at build rather than later. From the factory it's only £380.00 ($513.40) & cheaper than in the U.S. However should decide to retrofit the item afterwards it's £520.00 ($702.55) which is quite a difference. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,200 Posts
But the reality is that they are far outnumbered by cheap cars with single exhausts.
Yup, but for me there is a significant visual difference between a tiny single pipe and a big rectangular pipe.

The look I like least is the tiny single pipe that can readily be seen inside a big outer wrapping. A pretend exhaust.:eek:

·
Registered
388 Posts
I like you Greg. I felt the same way about leaving the default option of the single 'trumpet' exhaust.

Although I completely disagree with your statement, I like that Porsche has given us the choice of a standard exhaust and a louder Sports Exhaust. I definitely like the louder, more robust noise the Sport Exhaust makes, and I also like the dual tips vs the the large single tip. That being said, I didn't order either on my build. Mainly because of cost. I personally chose to get PASM, the wheels I wanted, the interior I wanted over the PSE or dual tips. The whole point of personalization is exactly that... I like that you get to choose the quieter exhaust and I would choose the opposite. As far as making in quieter; to me the sound, the steering wheel feel, the smell, all combine the sensation that belongs in any proper sports car.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts