Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
However that wasn't exactly what you conveyed in the quoted statement, hence my misunderstanding. Either way it's not important & the main thing is it's only down to personal tastes. Even though I dislike the single tip & always have, I can appreciate that some might possibly like it if only because it is so unusual. One thing I did note is that you state you can order the twin pipe for the same price as factory at a later date & therefore you simply can't lose should you ever decide to do so. But it's highlighted yet another of those quirky pricing differences betwixt Porsche U.K & Porsche U.SA. In the U.K it's considerably cheaper to fit the twin pipe at build rather than later. From the factory it's only £380.00 ($513.40) & cheaper than in the U.S. However should decide to retrofit the item afterwards it's £520.00 ($702.55) which is quite a difference. :)
If I was in your shoes, and the cost to change the tip later was that much more than just ordering it with my build, I might have done that (I like the double tip look a little more than the single). But since I can get an OEM or aftermarket one for the same price or less, and the install is simple (so no cost), I decided to go stock now, knowing I can change it later if I get tired of the single tip look.

With my logic, that equates to getting two tips (single with build and double after) for the price of one (double with build).

·
Registered
476 Posts
i guess i am the odd man out. i have the dual tips and really like the look of the single but it wasn't available with the options i wanted for mine. to me the large single outlet looks more modern than the dual tips.

·
Super Moderator
1,783 Posts
i guess i am the odd man out. i have the dual tips and really like the look of the single but it wasn't available with the options i wanted for mine. to me the large single outlet looks more modern than the dual tips.
And that's completely fair. That said ... you can probably purchase an OEM rectangular single and retrofit it onto your car. I don't think the diameters of the outlet 'X' tubes differ between the base and the S, as well as the stock exhaust and the Sport exhaust ... ?

·
892 Posts
Had black tips installed by dealer after purchase, along with speedfilm and tinting.
Keep an eye on the tips, as in an earlier comment elsewhere I believe it was 'Viffermike' that stated that his have started pitting & might need replacing at some stage? The black tips on my own PSE are fine, but I've always wiped them with a very lightly oiled rag after cleaning. It's also what I've done on every other car & so far I've never had problems. Worth keeping a close eye on being as we've been warned though.

·
Super Moderator
1,783 Posts
Has anyone tried something like this?
I wouldn't unless you've already got a dual tip installed.

Take a look at this image of an OEM 981 dual-tip assembly:

Note that it is a welded assembly that connects to the exhaust via the horizontal crosspipe. The single-outlet version fits the same way and does not have the dual piping. Fitment is exactly the same on a 981 and a 718.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I have twin tips as I have a 718BS but didn’t know if these slide on on top of the pipe that’s there. I guess not.

I’ll just wait to either get Fabspeed/Porsche twin tips in black.

Rippey

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yup! I feel your pain. So much so that if you really want the rectangular tip, I will take one for the team and trade you. I will give you my brand new (car will be delivered in 2 weeks) rectangular tip, for your "used" dual tip setup. That's how selfless I am :D. All joking aside, I would be happy to trade, and mine will be brand new. It will essentially have 400 miles on them as I will pick the car up at PEC LA on March 23rd and drive it home to Phoenix.

·
Registered
476 Posts
thanks for the offers guys but i'm not really looking to cut/grind off the stock tips since i plan on changing out the exhaust this spring anyway. the stock setup will go into storage like all the other stock parts i remove from track vehicles so when i sell them i can swap it back and resell the used aftermarket parts.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts