Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
2,381 Posts
bags packed, weekend planed.. I get in the car a get a low tire pressure warning from my passenger rear. I pulled this puppy from it.
1.5" from side wall... looks like a tow and new tire,... and YES I need a manicure View attachment 45016
I suppose the good news is you discovered the issue before the "road" trip got truely underway. That is one major spike.....

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
In my experience only major spikes ever go through tires.:(

So what was your solution? Did you get to do that trip? Did you drive off to a tire shop? Did you squirt that slimy stuff into the tire?

• Haha
Reactions: SGPhoto and Raven

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
2,381 Posts
@jimmuller is so inquisitive. Want's the whole story, not just the headlines. Love it! Our resident reporter asks the questions the rest of us want to but don't. Now, we're all awaiting the full report..
I dread the day I have to reach for the slimy stuff.....

·
Registered
2022 Boxster GTS 4.0
10 Posts
I feel you. Not quite the same, but not even 300 miles into my brand new boxster 4.0 GTS I get this:
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Road surface Tread

Fortunately at home and the roadside assistance worked well, but took better part of 6 hours to get it arranged for towing (here in Central TX)
Its a minefield out there--be careful

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
she's home now... luckily I have a wrangler too. so I bought a air compressor and plug kit. the cheap me is saying just plug it and dont worry about... ive use patches/plugs in the past with no issues. I realize the the 'speed rating' on the tire is out the window...that said I have not plans to hit the 304.773mph limit on the cup 2s ;). the logical me is saying just bite the bulletined replace the tire...im mixed. I mean what is the tread lifespan on there tires? 20-25K ... mine have only 2k on them... sucks to waste the $.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I feel you. Not quite the same, but not even 300 miles into my brand new boxster 4.0 GTS I get this:

Fortunately at home and the roadside assistance worked well, but took better part of 6 hours to get it arranged for towing (here in Central TX)
Its a minefield out there--be careful
that sucks... I remember years ago, I literally pulled out of the tire store with a new set of BFG M/T on my jeep, ran over a larger shard of glass,... cut right through the tires... I was about 5 miles on them. that sucked

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,995 Posts
If you are a spirited driver or take it to the track rarely, about 10K on the rears is normal, I believe. I didn't get much more out of my fronts. P-Zeroes.

·
Super Moderator
2,369 Posts
I've only had 3 flats tyres in just short of 60 years on the road—two in the Boxster! 😢

I replaced the 'newish' tyre because it wouldn't unbalance the wear patterns with the other three, and plugged the half-used tyre 'cause one new tyre would unbalance things and a plug is only more risky for half the tyre's life.

Do whatever makes sense to you, remembering that safety is not expensive compared to the cost of the car.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
... plugged the half-used tyre 'cause one new tyre would unbalance things and a plug is only more risky for half the tyre's life.
Indeed. They say you aren't supposed to replace a single tire if the opposite one is worn. The "risky for half the tyre's life" is a new twist of logic that I've never seen before. It makes a lot of sense, tires get risky as they get older. In any case, it means you'll be replacing it sooner than you would a new tire.

• Helpful
Reactions: Raven

·
Registered
33 Posts
i think a temporary plug from the outside of the tyre is fine, temporarily, but a proper tyre off vulcanised from the inside type plug is ok for the live of the tyre at broadly legal speeds and even the odd track day. If I was planning extended high speed travel then a new tyre would be my choice.

·
Registered
2018 BOXSTER BASE PDK. 2018 MACAN S
143 Posts
she's home now... luckily I have a wrangler too. so I bought a air compressor and plug kit. the cheap me is saying just plug it and dont worry about... ive use patches/plugs in the past with no issues. I realize the the 'speed rating' on the tire is out the window...that said I have not plans to hit the 304.773mph limit on the cup 2s ;). the logical me is saying just bite the bulletined replace the tire...im mixed. I mean what is the tread lifespan on there tires? 20-25K ... mine have only 2k on them... sucks to waste the $.
Have it patched off the rim

·
Premium Member
freeze Dec 5, 2021 BGTS 4.0, Adventurine Green, Agate Grey Leather, Carbon Fiber, 457, 630, 9VL, P40
73 Posts
Have it patched off the rim
When I got my new Boxster a few months ago, my dealership offered tire & wheel replacement ins. I got it, so I would be good, after navigating the process. And, I have on my to-do list to get a tire plug kit. But does anyone know if a plug would even work on our kine tires? Michelin Pilot 4S have such a deep tread. They're thick and I presume the steel belting is quite hefty. And there's not a lot of distance before the insertion tool would contact the rim on a 265/35 R20. I thought if it did work, I could at least get to the shop without using the Porsche goop or waiting for a tow. Any experience with this?

·
Registered
2018 BOXSTER BASE PDK. 2018 MACAN S
143 Posts
When I got my new Boxster a few months ago, my dealership offered tire & wheel replacement ins. I got it, so I would be good, after navigating the process. And, I have on my to-do list to get a tire plug kit. But does anyone know if a plug would even work on our kine tires? Michelin Pilot 4S have such a deep tread. They're thick and I presume the steel belting is quite hefty. And there's not a lot of distance before the insertion tool would contact the rim on a 265/35 R20. I thought if it did work, I could at least get to the shop without using the Porsche goop or waiting for a tow. Any experience with this?
If you have the warranty let them deal with it

I carry a plug kit in my car and a good compressor
I have been plugging my tires for a long time, no problem

1 - 20 of 38 Posts