Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 718 Cayman will be a year old in March.
Will have done about 5000 miles or so by then.
I have run the car in correctly per the manual, and not abused the car since.
I know the 718 comes with 2 year service intervals (or 20,000 miles)
I have always serviced my previous cars annually.
It seems odd not to at least have to do an oil and filter change and check of the air filter.
Have any U.K. members done an oil and filter change after a year?
I know it won’t be a cheap thing to do compared to other cars.
Would I be wasting my money?

·
Registered
776 Posts
It seems odd not to at least have to do an oil and filter change and check of the air filter.
I did mine at ~2000 miles per recommendation of my independent mechanic. His opinion was that if Porsche required a break in period, then a 2000 mile change was appropriate.
MOO!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume by lack of response to this thread.
That UK members are just sticking with or will stick with the recommended 2 year or 20,000 mile service intervals ???
I guess I can save myself some money.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
That UK members are just sticking with or will stick with the recommended 2 year or 20,000 mile service intervals ???
I clearly am not from the UK but my recommendation is to stick to the service intervals as outlined in the owners manual. I did change the oil on my 718 CS early and I am convinced after dissecting the oil filter that I wasted my time (not money they did the service for free because of their mistake). I have a sense being new to the Porsche world that the oil changing recommendations of some owners has reached almost a religious fervor and I think it relates to some owners obsessesive tendencies but that is just my opinion. I have always got incredibly high mileage out of my cars by adhering to the recommeded oil changing intervals or the maintenance minder.........so for the 3RS or any future Porsches/cars I will do the same.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi mate. Personally, I’ll just be sticking to the scheduled services. If you’re keeping the car for many years and it makes you feel better/more comfortable to do a hange then that’s totally cool mate. Personally, I feel that manufacturers wouldn’t miss a chance to charge us for additional service work, so if was even remotely required they make it mandatory for warranty.

All IMHO

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also enquired at Porsche Colchester when mine was a year old, i was told it wasn't necessary, car is going in next month to have it's first service at 8000 miles.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies.
I feel happier now about sticking to Porsche’s service recommendations.
I bet a lot of other U.K. owners have gone through the same dilemma.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I am one of those OCD members and change oil and filter at about 2,500 after I have broken the car in and incrementally (500 RPM increments) increased RPM use up to redline. That aside, my only 100 mils (2 cents) input is it depends what the 5,000 miles were in use. If it was a fair number of shorter runs where the oil did not get up to and run a bit at full temperature thereby not eliminating water that is very different than 5,000 miles of fully warmed up operations. I put about 7,500-8,000 miles a year on my Caymans. I am pretty consistent in getting the car up to full temperature but the runs are rarely highway with extended runs so I change about every 4,000-4,500 miles. I do live in south Florida so ambient is my friend in my routine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Porsche Nottingham advised me that 2 years/20k miles is the correct time for the first oil change so that’s what I will do.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Agreed, I also used to change my oils early but I really believe today’s top synthetic oils are way beyond previous oils
So normal service intervals should be fine - unless = Lots and lots of short never up to temperature journeys in which case yes, change early!

·
Registered
581 Posts
@Muppet - with my (limited number) Porsches I have historically always changed the oil after the "run in period" - 3000 to 5000 miles. A chance encounter recently on Eurotunnel has changed my opinion. A wholsesale oil salesman was adamant that I was chucking good money away. Modern synthetic oils protect a modern build engine for the first 20k miles no worries, I learned. He had been in the trade for over 30 years. He did call me an ideal, though deluded, customer..... Also, Porsche feel that the interval is adequate. Although the £400 or so it will cost isn't the end of the world, it doesn't grow on trees either.

On another note, I am anal about the fuel I put in the car. Shell VPower Nitro (99 RON) in the UK and 102 race fuel when I can get it on longer journeys abroad. Never supermarket "premium" juice. The additives in the premium brands (Shell, Esso, BP, Texaco etc.) is what makes these fuels more expensive than that pumped at the local Sainsbugs etc...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
@Muppet - with my (limited number) Porsches I have historically always changed the oil after the "run in period" - 3000 to 5000 miles. A chance encounter recently on Eurotunnel has changed my opinion. A wholsesale oil salesman was adamant that I was chucking good money away. Modern synthetic oils protect a modern build engine for the first 20k miles no worries, I learned. He had been in the trade for over 30 years. He did call me an ideal, though deluded, customer..... Also, Porsche feel that the interval is adequate. Although the £400 or so it will cost isn't the end of the world, it doesn't grow on trees either.

On another note, I am anal about the fuel I put in the car. Shell VPower Nitro (99 RON) in the UK and 102 race fuel when I can get it on longer journeys abroad. Never supermarket "premium" juice. The additives in the premium brands (Shell, Esso, BP, Texaco etc.) is what makes these fuels more expensive than that pumped at the local Sainsbugs etc...
Your post makes reassuring reading.
Living in the countryside I rarely make short journeys.
The thing that sways me about sticking to Porsche’s 2 year service intervals is that as “718” says if Porsche simply wanted to make money from their customers they would say you need to change the oil after the break in period and then get the car serviced annually. Their 2 year service plan may be more expensive than normal car servicing but it probably balances out over time as your not getting the car serviced annually.

Your “Other Note” is opening a can of worms.
I have only ever put in Sainsbury’s Super Unleaded Petrol in my 718.
Done 4600 miles so far.
The only issue I have noted is that once or twice I have had that “tappety” sound till the engine warms up. But this was only on very cold mornings. I think this is more to do with the cold not the fuel.
The sticker as you open the fuel cover says to only use High Octane Fuel. The Manual says it’s also better to do this, though the car will run on Regular Unleaded.
Shell or BP Super Unleaded etc. is a lot more expensive. I thought that at least by using Sainsbury’s Super Unleaded in it I would be better than using Regular Unleaded, and that I could live with the fuel costs.
The Porsche Salesman when I brought the car said I could use Regular or Super Unleaded, that the engine would adjust itself and not be harmed by just Regular Unleaded. His suggestion if cost was an option was to run Regular with the occasional tank of Shell or BP Super Unleaded.
I’m not sure our American friends realise the price of petrol in the UK and Europe.
I think I paid £1.19 a litre the last time I filled up at Sainsbury’s.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Fuel is a very expensive proposition in Europe compared to some other parts of the world - totally agreed. I am in Canda (BC) at the moment and fuel is CAD 1.18 litre. That's peanuts (£0.70) to you and me. There is an interesting conversation going on the Macan forum about fuels. I am no expert but reason that supermarket fuels might becheaper is that they are missing some of the additives which help pre, during and post combustion. Also the ethanol content might make a difference, not just in price.

Maybe someone on the forum with technical knowledge should chip in. Anyone??

·
Registered
308 Posts
I've exclusively used Tesco Momentum super unleaded for no reason other than the fact it's around the corner from home. Done this in 2 Boxsters and the best part of 90,000 miles with no ill effects...

Filled up at 117 today with the Super Unleaded Momentum...

Also interested if there is any meaningful difference with this stuff and Shell VPower etc

1 - 14 of 14 Posts