Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
"A go" meaning what? Until you hear a crunching sound which will cost more to repair than a set of winters? As it occurs to me, the tyres are the only thing between you and the road - summer and winter. I am not disputing driving skills etc. etc, I only see this as a safety feature. You can't control everything, there is always the possiblility of someone driving into you - even more so in the winter with a little grime / snow on the ground. This is something you can control.
I'm simply not going down the route of messing about fitting winter tyres. I've been driving in adverse conditions for decades now and I've always used standard tyres and never had a crash - and the only time I ever got stuck was in a Merc and that was because of its nanny traction control. It's maybe different in parts of Europe, where winter tyres are mandatory at certain times of the year but I live in England - the British Isles. Britain's weather is almost unique in that we're in the middle of where five main air masses meet - tropical maritime, tropical continental, polar continental, polar maritime and Arctic maritime. So, depending on which way the wind's blowing - or where the various tropospheric/stratospheric wind currents like the Jet Stream are going - the weather can be freezing cold, snowing, freezing rain, hot, pouring with rain or drought. And nobody can predict the weather here beyond tomorrow. Unlike Europe.

I know that various car manufacturers are selling winter tyre exchanges (for a hefty price) which may be sensible in Germany - but this ain't Germany. The point is that you can't even work out when to fit the winter tyres over here. Snow can start in September and it can end in July - or it can never come at all. And the really cold weather can come in March - or even later. In fact I was booked to pick up my 718 from the dealer in early March but the weather was so bad that there was nobody at the dealers - because it had snowed and they couldn't get in. I could have got in, but they couldn't.

Strangely enough what I did with the useless Merc SL I had was change the standard tyres to Vredestein - as you have mentioned - or "Vershteen" as the dealers called them. They were standard summer tyres but they had a good snow rating - and they had a tread designed by Giugiaro (if you can believe that). They looked great. And they made the car driveable without needing winter tyres.

As far as I'm concerned if the tyres don't work all the year round they're no good. Like I said I'll give the P-Zeros a shot at snow and if they don't work I'll take them off, but I won't put on winter tyres. I'll change for tyres that have a more sensible rubber compound.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Interesting and pretty much agree with the whole weather thing - you never know if or when we may or may not get snow/cold weather. I too have never had winters on any of my cars for 30+ years of driving, - all front wheel drives too though; my commute however is not the same as my wife’s, she has a 50 mile round trip over hilly twisty A roads with tight bends, I think this has a much greater bearing on the decisions’ you take about tyres.

If the P zeros are of a similar compound (high silica content?) then that’s going to make the switch to winters more likely, at the end of the day the only thing between you and a wall is what’s contacting the ground and if a low temperature designed winter tyre saves from that while driving your £50k+ car all year round then £2k for a set winter wheels seems to be worth it. Stick them on in November and run until the end of March shuold cover the most likely time frame for winter conditions in the UK.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Traction depends partly on the weight over the driving wheels. A fwd Audi TT has a 60%/40% front/rear weight distribution, and the rwd Cayman has a weight distribution of 45%/55% so there isn't a lot in it. Also when you really need traction - going uphill - more of the weight is transferred to the rear wheels and away from the front. But there are a lot of factors that come into play. What really put the kibosh on the Mercedes SL was that its traction control was very invasive and couldn't be turned off - the button that's meant to turn it off leaves it acting as a pseudo-LSD, which is exactly what you don't want in snow.

I actually emailed MB about the traction problems in low grip situations and got a one line reply referring me to the owners' manual page nnn where it said that the car should never be driven on summer tyres when the temperature is below 7C. Typical of Mercedes. I've yet to see how the Cayman works in snow but I'm dead sure it won't have simple faults like that. I'm looking forward to finding out.

·
Registered
Warrenpoint in Ireland, not UK! 718S, Macan SD
45 Posts
Mine's a DD too. Two years old and 18.5k to date. Our winters in NI are similar to yours OP. I have never changed to winter tyres as my morning commute is mainly along a dual carriageway with fairly light traffic. Our Macan has AS tyres which appear to have decent grip and are long lasting (50.5k in two years!). Not sure that we really need winter tyres as our climate is pretty mild. Count the number of mornings that are under 7deg, and then count the number of the same days where the evening commute sees the temp over 7deg.

I always leave a bigger gap to the car in front when the temperature is lower, but apart from that, nothing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
[FONT=&quot]Update:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Found a set of 718 mint 18" 5 spoke alloys with P0 M&S tyres on Ebay for £930. with (+5-6mm of tread and immaculate :) bargain. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Winter wheels are road dependant in my opinion. Driving unlit country roads (50 mile road trip) daily in winter where holes are invisible, until you hit them, we have lost 3 tyres at £180 each in the 4 years we have had our TT. No wheel damaged, but we have buckled one on a previous car. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So we get a set of wheels for winter use which will give improved cold weather performance, extend the life of our summer set and provide greater protection against tyre/wheel damage. Ultimately we could even be in profit after 4 years if we re-sell on Ebay at 50% of what we paid.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123548413336[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

·
Registered
160 Posts
This is my first Winter driving the 718.
I’ve kept the standard Pirellis on my 18” Wheels.
Not had any real problems, the back end of the car has only stepped out slightly once on me in damp road conditions. I gave it to much throttle coming off of a junction the car quickly corrected itself.
(Or maybe it was my amazing quick reactions / driving skill ?) >:D
Basically what I’ve learned is that you just have to take it easy in damp or wet conditions.
I won’t drive it in the snow, and try not to drive when there’s ice about.

The best thing about the 18” Wheels are, that in my opinion they cope much better with the increasing number of pot holes we have to put up with.
There’s also much less chance of damaging the Alloy Rims when parking next to a curb.

The other thing I hate about winter is after spending 3 or 4 hours washing and polishing my car is then having to drive it on wet dirty roads. (Soul destroying)
At least there’s no flys to splatter the car in Winter.

My car sleeps in the garage so I don’t have any problems with the windows freezing to the door rubbers.

·
Registered
595 Posts
@Muppet I agree on the 18". I will rock up next week on my 18" winter set - at our last meet I was on the 20" summer set. The ride is so much smoother and compliant on our potholed, developing country infrastructure. Temperatures play a role too though. Once temperatures start rising again I will swap back.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Similar to our plan - swap when the clocks change effectively, maybe December to end March: preserve tread and minimize summer 20 wheels from damage.
I agree on the car cleaning in winter, however with ceramic and PPF we revert to touchless - snow foam and power rinse gets 80% of the dirt removed with a 15min blast.
Our TT and all TT's suffer from the frozen windows and the forums are littered with complaints. We found that pre-treating with rain-x - applied to the lower rubber window seal night before frost predicted eliminated our problem - Gumi fledge etc did not work for us.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts