Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking the car for a track day next Monday. I have been waiting a long time for this opportunity so am excited and nervous in equal measure! I've read around a bit and think I know the basics in terms of prep but does anybody have any Cayman specific advice for a first track day? Other than don't crash 馃槵

Here's a shot of the car before it's full of scrapes 馃槩馃榾

Registered
Have a look on PCGB forum on the Catalan page. There鈥檚 a thread on there answering all the questions related to track days.

Registered
For your first time, you really don't need to do anything. Basic stuff is usually covered in a tech inspection prior to the event (if you're running with a club of some sort). But fresh brake fluid (most clubs say no more than 12 months old; some even say 6 months old). Preferably with a "high temp" brake fluid.

Make sure brake pads have sufficient pad remaining, and check your tires. The Porsche sports cars are setup from the factory to handle the track very well.

Here's a video I made for my local Porsche Club region on training up tech inspectors. Will give you an idea of what to look for:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For your first time, you really don't need to do anything. Basic stuff is usually covered in a tech inspection prior to the event (if you're running with a club of some sort). But fresh brake fluid (most clubs say no more than 12 months old; some even say 6 months old). Preferably with a "high temp" brake fluid.

Make sure brake pads have sufficient pad remaining, and check your tires. The Porsche sports cars are setup from the factory to handle the track very well.

Here's a video I made for my local Porsche Club region on training up tech inspectors. Will give you an idea of what to look for:
Amazing - thank you!

r.e. brake fluid - is it easy for me to do? Or even better, cheap enough for a garage to do?

Registered
Amazing - thank you!

r.e. brake fluid - is it easy for me to do? Or even better, cheap enough for a garage to do?
It's easy to do , tons of Youtube's and such out there ( All modern Porsches have similar brake flush procedures ) . You CAN screw it up , so if you are not comfortable , a good garage charges between $100-$200 here (USA) to do it.

Possible complications is introducing air into the system , or breaking a nipple .

Registered
I would say "braking". As other said, high temp fluid with at least 50% brake pads left.

And patience. Dont hit that gas too soon off the apex :)

Registered
As others have said, fresh high temp brake fluid. Outside of that, the 718 in stock form is amazing.

I did my first ever track day last year on a 100% stock set up and was surprised at how much more capable the car was than I am as a driver. Learned a lot. Then scheduled my next track day while I was there because it鈥檚 addicting.

Don鈥檛 try to be fast right out of the gate and try to get behind and follow someone who has done it before so you can learn a clean 鈥渞acing鈥 line by following faster drivers. Many times a slower car with a fast driver will pass you and they will be a great learning tool. No shame on being passed by a Miata.

I have now graduated up to advance group and am one of the fastest out there (unless a Camaro with 1LE comes out to the track).

Smooth throttle and steering inputs and a clean line will help reduce the amount of speed you scrub off through corners. I鈥檓 learning that straightaway speed isn鈥檛 everything and maintaining speed and moment though the corners is much more important.

Most importantly of all, just drive and have fun. These machines we have are wonderful.

Registered
WARNING: The most addictive substance in the universe is one's 718 on track!!!

Fresh brake fluid (< 6 to 12 mos) and good pads (50% plus material remaining) give me the necessary peace of mind required to focus on the drive.

Concur with all the recommendations above, especially learning by following the best driver in your group. This helped me move to the intermediate group after two sessions during my second track day. Better yet, have an approved instructor ride along on your first day, or at least during a session or two. I learned far more at COTA with an instructor (running in the intermediate group), than in two track days at Harris Hill Raceway without an instructor.

One additional thing to consider is ensuring your tires are sufficiently warm before going hard on throttle when exiting an apex. Second track day at HHR (third session - first as intermediate), I started behind a 991.1 Turbo S and didn't want to embarass myself by allowing the initial gap to grow...it was a Turbo S...what in the heck was I thinking. Well, I exited turn 5 with an over exuberant throttle and just saved total humiliation by the grace of God. My first lap thought now is always 'ensure tires are ready.'

You are going to have a blast, but beware...track day is one incredibly powerful drug. Seriously, my first track day was the most exciting personal experience since retiring 4 years prior.

I look forward to learning your post track day thoughts. Enjoy and cheers!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry I didn't reply (think I have notifications turned off). I had an amazing time. It was pretty exhausting though! I had an instructor the whole time and he was incredibly positive and made me think about more track days and beyond! Fixing up the car I'm still not comfortable with - I think I'd rather a garage but let's see how that works out in the long run...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts