Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm getting and reading conflicting information on US MY'19 allocations.

My dealer tells me I'll get the first MY'19 Cayman S allocation - when he has one. Based on past experience he estimates a possible delivery around October-November this year. This would put the allocation/order date some time around July. But he apparently has no firm allocations yet. This is the same information I'm getting from other major dealerships around the country. They are all telling me PCNA has not been given MY'19 allocations yet.

Now I'm reading here and on other forums that people claim to have firm orders placed on existing allocations. How can that be? Is this based on dealer hearsay or did anybody actually witness a dealer entering an order?

And by that I mean: Does anybody have an official commission number or printout of the build sheet for a MY'19 with status V200 - delivery date determined?

Thanks for all responses.

· Registered
283 Posts
I have an allocation done with a lock date in September and production start in early October. I have the printed report showing the specific allocation number assigned to me and all the preliminary trade calculations et al done. My SA had just gotten the allocations mid last week. 2 Cayman Base. He had no Cayman S allocation as yet. One allocation had already been taken by Friday and I took the other one. He held it for me for a couple days......this is my 3rd Cayman through him.

· Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well @RGM718 congrats. Apparently you are the only one so far.

Porsche can't sell their current '18 models in the EU anymore starting September 1st. So I'd hope they will want to keep selling cars and supply Asia and the US with plenty of MY'19 (in old MY'18 engine/exhaust configuration) during this transition. The only fear I still have is that they will focus on the Base and GTS models. And I definitely want the S. I guess I'll just patiently wait to hear from my SA for a couple more weeks before coming up with a plan B...:|

· Registered
33 Posts
Our Plan B turned out to be locating a suitably equipped '18BS MT6 with just about all of the options we had spec'ed, except PASM & Bose. Good news was that it was $3500 less expensive, located only 300 miles away and was waiting for us when we returned from a long winter vacation. Has your dealer done a search for '018's nearby?

· Registered
1,003 Posts
They do seem to be pushing the GTS pretty hard. I would have considered one, but the deal was horrible. My dealer offered me $1500 over invoice for the S, but only $3k off of MSRP for the GTS. And if I had gotten all the creature comforts on a GTS that I wanted on my S I would have been well over $100k. The price delta for me was $15k I think?

I love the SportDesign front end, but not THAT much...

· Registered
283 Posts
I had toyed with the idea of ordering an S too.. As my SA, Dylan, looked around he found 1 S in the October/November build timeline on the locator. As I had said earlier, he had 2 allocations for the Cayman Base. I took the remaining one on the 18th. He had a total of 3 allocations when we first talked earlier last week. 2 Cayman Base and 1 GTS. And, he said they had just started coming in. My dealer, Porsche of Melbourne, is a Premier Porsche dealer if memory serves and they are also a strong supporter/sponser of PCA. I can speculate that this may help with their allocations. But, that is pure opinion!

· Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Our Plan B turned out to be locating a suitably equipped '18BS MT6 with just about all of the options we had spec'ed, except PASM & Bose. Good news was that it was $3500 less expensive, located only 300 miles away and was waiting for us when we returned from a long winter vacation. Has your dealer done a search for '018's nearby?
That's a good Plan B. However I'm in no rush really. I already have a PDK 718 Cayman. I just want to add a MT6 CS as well. My build is very specific in regards to budget and must haves. Unfortunately nothing in stock fits the bill.

I love the SportDesign front end, but not THAT much...
Funny how tastes differ. The look of the sport design front end is precisely why I don't want the GTS and prefer the S.

I had toyed with the idea of ordering an S too.. As my SA, Dylan, looked around he found 1 S in the October/November build timeline on the locator. As I had said earlier, he had 2 allocations for the Cayman Base. I took the remaining one on the 18th. He had a total of 3 allocations when we first talked earlier last week. 2 Cayman Base and 1 GTS. And, he said they had just started coming in. My dealer, Porsche of Melbourne, is a Premier Porsche dealer if memory serves and they are also a strong supporter/sponser of PCA. I can speculate that this may help with their allocations. But, that is pure opinion!
What you are saying makes sense. Makes me hopeful that my dealer will get some definitive info on the Cayman S allocations in a couple of weeks at the latest. If I get a production slot this year I'm happy. I do like to buy local but if not I may start shopping around.

· Registered
283 Posts
Your dealer should be able to look nationally for you in the locator. It depends how much he wants the sale. Dylan was very willing to look at doing a trade to get me the S allocation if that was what I really wanted to do. Again, I do business with Porsche of Melbourne and specifically with Dylan (my 3rd Cayman with him) because of the great way they work and how they treat their customers. They have the long term view of relationships and not as a one-off transaction. Not to bore with too many examples of what I mean........but, when I was beginning to think about ordering a 2019, Dylan arranged for a Base and an S for me to drive. I came in, he gave me the keys and said take a drive as long as you want with each and let me know what you think. Dylan felt no need to come with me. This dealer, and Dylan in particular, make ordering/buying a truly enjoyable experience.

· Registered
1,213 Posts
Congrats RMG718! You received a much better incentive than I did from Dylan for a moderately spec'd base 2018 Cayman. Rightfully so I suppose, as I am not a repeat customer. I moved on to other dealers in search of a more enticing incentive, now for MY19, which seem a little harder to come by at the moment.

· Registered
283 Posts
Out of curiosity..........are you a PCA member? If not, I would recommend that..............it you work with a dealer who is a strong supporter of PCA it never hurts! At Porsche of Melbourne, for instance, 15% off parts for any service performed or accessories that you may buy. I know that I am a bit weird about buying and owning cars but when I find a dealership that I like............I will frequently just drop in, look around, and chat. I also always wait for my car for service (all service at the dealer and I over maintain my cars) and am always welcomed by Dylan or Hans whenever there and we find time to chat about how things are going with sales, what they are hearing about upcoming Porsches for new offerings, new technology and the like. As an example, I ordered my 2016 as, at the time, I wanted to not get the first year of the turbo engines. But, Dylan knew that as things sorted out, I would probably be getting one in the second or third year of the model cycle. The 2019 represents that purchase. And, interestingly, I am pulling the trigger now as the 2020 or 2021 will definitely be a change with reasonably decent potential of being hybrid. The purchase of the 'next' car, then, just becomes part of a long standing relationship.

· Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Out of curiosity..........are you a PCA member? If not, I would recommend that..............it you work with a dealer who is a strong supporter of PCA it never hurts! At Porsche of Melbourne, for instance, 15% off parts for any service performed or accessories that you may buy. I know that I am a bit weird about buying and owning cars but when I find a dealership that I like............I will frequently just drop in, look around, and chat. I also always wait for my car for service (all service at the dealer and I over maintain my cars) and am always welcomed by Dylan or Hans whenever there and we find time to chat about how things are going with sales, what they are hearing about upcoming Porsches for new offerings, new technology and the like. As an example, I ordered my 2016 as, at the time, I wanted to not get the first year of the turbo engines. But, Dylan knew that as things sorted out, I would probably be getting one in the second or third year of the model cycle. The 2019 represents that purchase. And, interestingly, I am pulling the trigger now as the 2020 or 2021 will definitely be a change with reasonably decent potential of being hybrid. The purchase of the 'next' car, then, just becomes part of a long standing relationship.

I feel pretty much the same way about my dealership. They have always done very right by me and I have no doubt that they will make it happen again when they can. As long as this thread is not being flooded with "hey I got a Cayman S build slot" posts I'm not panicking...;)
If one plans to purchase more then one Porsche I feel strongly that a long standing relationship does not only get you a mutually good deal easily but also makes for a stress free purchase and service experience. But to each their own of course.

I do second the PCA membership recommendation. Aside from the discounts one will also meet great people at the events with tons of fun and interesting conversations.

· Registered
153 Posts
For anybody that is interested the dealer close to me has an 18 Cayman GTS in Sapphire Blue that arrived last week. It’s MSRP is $98,200 but you should be able to get 6-7% off. It is listed on the Porsche West Broward web site. I hope this can help someone.

· Registered
717 Posts
For anybody that is interested the dealer close to me has an 18 Cayman GTS in Sapphire Blue that arrived last week. It’s MSRP is $98,200 but you should be able to get 6-7% off. It is listed on the Porsche West Broward web site. I hope this can help someone.

98K? Wow - how many options are on that car? Isn't the base price around 80K?

· Registered
153 Posts
98K? Wow - how many options are on that car? Isn't the base price around 80K?
Yes, there are a lot of options on the car but it is also one of the last Sapphire Blue Caymans made. If you are looking for Sapphire Blue, because it has been cancelled for 2019 models, and looking for a GTS, this looks like a great car. A CS with the same options is 4K more. Some of the options are, PDK, 18 way seats, white gauges, platinum wheels, Porsche Connect, Bose, LCA, LED headlights, heated multi-function wheel and others. You know it does not take much with Porsche options to rapidly increase the price. I put this out because some members said they were having a hard time getting an allocation and this is just sitting on the showroom floor ready to go.

· Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, there are a lot of options on the car but it is also one of the last Sapphire Blue Caymans made. If you are looking for Sapphire Blue, because it has been cancelled for 2019 models...
On the subject of MY19 color options I have strong reason to believe that the full lineup (maybe even a new color or two) will be available again at some point during the model year (October-ish). It seems to be a temporary limitation to streamline the production process. I've heard this from someone that usually knows more then I.

· Registered
8 Posts
For all those that have secured an 2019 Cayman production order, when will you be collecting your ride?

My order will be in the July production schedule and collection is expected in late Sept or begining of Oct however.... there is no change on the configuration since months ago and Sapphire Blue or Graphite Blue is still available in this part of the world.

Was wondering, how possible is Porsche able to produce 2019 production model for some and 2018 for others. There must be a cut off date. What's your thoughts?

· Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For all those that have secured an 2019 Cayman production order, when will you be collecting your ride?

My order will be in the July production schedule and collection is expected in late Sept or begining of Oct however.... there is no change on the configuration since months ago and Sapphire Blue or Graphite Blue is still available in this part of the world.

Was wondering, how possible is Porsche able to produce 2019 production model for some and 2018 for others. There must be a cut off date. What's your thoughts?
Where are you located? The model year switch is in July but I don't know the exact date.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.