Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I bought a used 2018 Cayman S with 2400 miles from an online dealer. I'm shown as 3rd owner. Since I don't have any history on the car, I decided to take it to the local dealer and have them perform the 10k/2-year service. Oil change, air filter, brake flush, plus some checks and inspections. I also wanted another key fob, as the car came with only 1. As I dropped it off, the service rep told me, "This will be $1500-$1800." Welcome to Porsche.

So, I was pleasantly surprised when the full invoice was only $700. And $500 of that was for the new key fob. Which left $200 for labor and parts on the air filter. Everything else was charged off to a Porsche periodic maintenance service contract. Nice!

As part of the brake flush, the tech discovered a pinhole leak in the brake fluid reservoir, and ordered a replacement under warranty. Very Nice!

This is my first Porsche, but not my first car from Porsche-Audi-VW. On my Audi's if I wanted a service contract, I had to buy it for additional cost at the time of purchase. Is that the same with Porsche? If so, apparently a previous owner bought one. I should send them a thank-you note. And a beer.(y)

Cap

PS, $200 for an air filter? I think I will be changing those myself from now on.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good luck with that!!
If you are trying to say that replacing the air filter requires some effort, some tools, and perhaps some mechanical skills, then I take your point.

I’ve read the threads on this forum and others. The filter costs less than $20 online. If I can save $180 and save a half-day visit to the dealer, in exchange for an hour of my time, then that seems a good trade to me. And there are additional benefits to working on your car: I have lost count of the number of times that I found missing fasteners, or improperly torqued lugnuts, or disconnected cables after having a shop work on my vehicles. Doing your own work affords the opportunity to get it right, and know absolutely that the work was done properly. Most dealer techs are honest and capable. But sometimes they are in a hurry or get interrupted, and make mistakes.

All the basic maintenance on our 718s is achievable by an owner with the right attitude, experience and tools. Having said that, if you are not an experienced gear head, this is probably not the car on which to start learning. If the descriptions of these processes seem daunting, then let the professionals do it for you.

cheers, Cap

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I believe the first service (10k?) is free in the US. Also, I don't think it involves a brake flush, unless it is the 2 yr interval that dictates it. I am sure, someone who knows/remembers better will chime in...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe the first service (10k?) is free in the US. Also, I don't think it involves a brake flush, unless it is the 2 yr interval that dictates it.
Thanks, I did some reading on it. Porsche Scheduled Maintenance Plan (PSMP) was standard for 1 year on my 2018 Cayman. That is, they offered the 10k/1-year service on every car. And you are correct that the 10k/1-year service did not cover the brake flush, which is a 2-year interval. My invoice shows that the PSMP 2nd-year plan was used for my service. The previous owner must have purchased at least the "plus 1" plan. So, that explains the free brake flush, oil change, and inspections. I would have thought that the air filter would be scheduled for replacement every year, but apparently not.

The mystery for me is, "how many years of PSMP did a previous owner purchase on my new car?" The dealer took all day on the car -- putting off my return to the dealership to pick it up several times with vague excuses for "things taking longer than expected, don't worry, everything's fine." When I finally got it at closing time, all the techs were gone, and the cashier just handed me the bill and asked for payment. I didn't know why the charges were lower than expected until I read the invoice. Nor that they were ordering a new brake fluid reservoir as a warranty item.

When the dealer opens again tomorrow, I will call and find out more information. I want to ask how many more years of PSMP were purchased for the car. I have already benefited from the largesse of the previous owner -- at this point I am just curious to know where I stand for the next service. I got pretty lucky with this car that I bought sight-unseen. So far, the only other problem is that it came off the car transporter with a punctured rear tire. Vroom has agreed to replace the tire. But I can't drive it much because the tire is leaking slowly. So, it's been a study in patience while I wait to get it all sorted.

·
Registered
2017 Boxster 718S Graphite Blue
286 Posts
If you are trying to say that replacing the air filter requires some effort, some tools, and perhaps some mechanical skills, then I take your point.

I’ve read the threads on this forum and others. The filter costs less than $20 online. If I can save $180 and save a half-day visit to the dealer, in exchange for an hour of my time, then that seems a good trade to me. And there are additional benefits to working on your car: I have lost count of the number of times that I found missing fasteners, or improperly torqued lugnuts, or disconnected cables after having a shop work on my vehicles. Doing your own work affords the opportunity to get it right, and know absolutely that the work was done properly. Most dealer techs are honest and capable. But sometimes they are in a hurry or get interrupted, and make mistakes.

All the basic maintenance on our 718s is achievable by an owner with the right attitude, experience and tools. Having said that, if you are not an experienced gear head, this is probably not the car on which to start learning. If the descriptions of these processes seem daunting, then let the professionals do it for you.

cheers, Cap
Yep I was !...I did mine and honestly isnt hard at all, time consuming
first time though, but not as bad as oil filter!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,229 Posts

When the dealer opens again tomorrow, I will call and find out more information. I want to ask how many more years of PSMP were purchased for the car. I have already benefited from the largesse of the previous owner -- at this point I am just curious to know where I stand for the next service. I got pretty lucky with this car that I bought sight-unseen.
I've had the same experience. Bought a CPO, the dealer did not say anything about the Porsche Pre-paid maintenance, I even asked to purchase one and they told me that they don't do maintenance plans.

Six months later I call to find out how much they charge for an oil change/air filter. The SA was perplexed why would I want to blow my 20k/2yr maintenance round on an oil change. I asked what did he mean and he confirmed that a maintenance contract for 4 service events was purchased and (per Porsche) it follows the car! I gave the VIN to another dealership and they confirmed that my car was covered by the plan! As a matter of fact, I did the 20k/2yr maintenance in NJ!

Call another dealership with your VIN and ask them to check whether you have a plan or not.

·
Registered
227 Posts
PS, $200 for an air filter? I think I will be changing those myself from now on.
$200 is justifiable from a dealer labor rate perspective but it's also definitely doable yourself. I followed this DIY video.
Took me about an hour going slow to take everything apart and about 30 minutes putting everything back together. A set of $5 plastic trim removal tools is very handy. You'll need a Torx ratchet set and an Allen wrench set to get to the two engine cover bolts that are under the bulkhead brace.

Reactions: Tmyung

·
Premium Member
2017 boxter 718
223 Posts
when i purchased my '87 ferrari 328gts, i made inquiries on the expected annual service cost.. (mostly thru ferrichat info)
these included prices from algar, mid-ohio , continnental motors, plus several hi-rolling indies.

@ $2000/yr. was the average reply. about what i expected. understand, i did most of the elementary service
such as oil, brake fluid, etc. myself. so those items are not included. also i was restoring the car mechanically
and electrically. cosmetics was pretty much complete. this was a very well-cared for california car.

you're probably thinking WOW! what a fool. before you start throwing rocks my way, i brought an above average
vintage car up to a near-10ft.er, meaning a car that would fit in anyone's stable.

so......the moral here is: i don't find your dealer serviced prices extreme compared to my indie shop prices, and i supplied
most of the parts! i stayed with the same provider all 14yrs. she was on my watch. it's not that i have money to burn,
i just had certain expectations with her care.

i wanted to share this to give you all a comparison.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts