Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just picked up my first 2018 Cayman S today from the dealer. It does not have any of the extra connected services, does not have CarPlay etc. I've noticed that when I plugged my phone into the USB port in the glovebox, the power cycles off and on and off and on and doesn't actually charge my iphone. Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I do have Connect but that doesn't sound right either way. Did you try the USB port in the center console or a different cable?

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
Hello, I just picked up my first 2018 Cayman S today from the dealer. It does not have any of the extra connected services, does not have CarPlay etc. I've noticed that when I plugged my phone into the USB port in the glovebox, the power cycles off and on and off and on and doesn't actually charge my iphone. Has anyone else noticed this?
IIRC, The only USB port that delivers enough amperage to charge a device is the one in the center console. The USB port in the glove box is only meant for data transfer to and from PCM (Jukebox, DMP/thumb drive, etc.) and as an digital AUX in to PCM.

Reactions: wdr911

·
Registered
638 Posts
I've charged phone in the center console, with no optional PCM add-ons.

Congrats on the new S. Pictures required.

eta: but come to think, that was via the cigarette lighter-to-USB cord. Haven't done direct from USB port. Oh well, second sentence above still applies.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've noticed that when I plugged my phone into the USB port in the glovebox, the power cycles off and on and off and on and doesn't actually charge my iphone. Has anyone else noticed this?

Just had this same thing happen when I tried to use the glove compartment USB to power the Garmin GPS. I wanted to use this port so I wouldn't have wires draped all over the console.
An odd display came up on the Garmin unit, and it cycled on and off.

Plugged it into the cigarette lighter and it worked fine.

·
Registered
720 Posts
IIRC, The only USB port that delivers enough amperage to charge a device is the one in the center console. The USB port in the glove box is only meant for data transfer to and from PCM (Jukebox, DMP/thumb drive, etc.) and as an digital AUX in to PCM.
Yes.....that's my experience too (2018 Cayman).

We have a new Honda and it's also the same way.

·
Registered
476 Posts
it was explained to me that the glove box usb is really for diagnostic stuff and the armrest usb is for phone/charging/music. i can confirm that the glove box did not connect my phone nor charge it (iphone x) but everything works perfectly using the armrest.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My glovebox USB keeps my windows phone fully charged and I Bluetooth it to the PCM for phone connection. I have an old iPhone 5 with no SIM card acting as a music source plugged in the the centre armrest USB and I use that to play via Apple carplay. That charges up also

·
Registered
50 Posts
The USB port in the glove box might be intended for data transfer, but I’ve loaded a 128gb thumb drive with a ton of .WAV audio in there and it delivers that just fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts