Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019 718S
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day, Has anyone tried to use a USB Splitter in the arm rest? My wife and I both need to be available to calls and texts and looking for a solution to not having cords etc running through the cabin. I wonder if car play would allow you to choose which device for navigation and music? The glovebox is inconvenient and we can’t hear phone alerts with top down and Bose up. The power in passenger
floor results in cords being in the way. Thank you for any solutions.

·
Registered
28 Posts
No, but if you have a cigarette lighter usb charger you can use the 12v port in the passenger footwell. The other option is to plug into the glovebox and just close the box on the cable (pinching it repeatedly can cause it to fail though).

·
Registered
2019 718 Cayman S
7 Posts
If you don't want to have cords running through the cabin, get Carplay2Air (I know it works) or Carlinkit 2.0. They plug to the armrest USB only, they are very small and you can keep your phone in the pocket or anywhere else in the car, no cord. Navigation and music can function together, at the same time in Apple CarPlay. You don't need another device.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If you don't want to have cords running through the cabin, get Carplay2Air (I know it works) or Carlinkit 2.0. They plug to the armrest USB only, they are very small and you can keep your phone in the pocket or anywhere else in the car, no cord. Navigation and music can function together, at the same time in Apple CarPlay. You don't need another device.
I agree. In addition, at least my CPLAY2air, has a USB port that can be used to charge another phone etc.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Assuming you have a sound system (you do, don't you?), the CarPlay port in the center armrest also does phone calls through the sound system and a built-in mic. You probably knew that already. (Well it does in my Cayman w/Bose, but maybe not in a Boxster.) That means whatever is plugged in there will have plenty of volume. It can also handle phone calls by Bluetooth. But the PCM can handle only one phone at a time, either by the CarPlay port or by Bluetooth, not both. I would be surprised if it will handle two iPhones on the center armrest port without getting confused. If it recognizes one of your phones by CarPlay but not the other as "just" a phone then you aren't any better volume-wise than just using it the usual way against your ear. The only thing you would gain is the ability to keep both charged.

FWIW and IIRC, closing the glovebox door on a charging cable doesn't really pinch it unless it is a fairly think one. Your biggest issue is where to put the other phone at all, and that would be the same challenge regardless of where you plugged it in.

·
Registered
2018 718 Boxster GTS
10 Posts
Just checked-out some reviews of Carplay2Air, since it sounds like a great addition.
and the results were imperfect. Data transfer lag, audio and map image degradation and even some total disconnects.
Are your results better? Thanks

·
Registered
331 Posts
My CPLAY2air works very well and I am very pleased with it. However, there are still the same periodic glitches that appeared when I plugged the phone in to the console USB port but it has not introduced any new problems. I do not experience any lags or audio deterioration. I like and regularly use the Porsche native Nav system so I cannot comment on the mapping software associated with Apple Car Play.

·
Registered
2019 718 Cayman S
7 Posts
I would say it works 90%. Phone works, Nav works (I am using mostly Waze, but Apple Maps and Google work too), Siri works. About the only one that I have issues with is music, the music saved on my iPhone. Sometimes is flawless, sometimes the music gets interrupted, but Waze, that is working simultaneously, is not. Music with the car engine in the background is marginal for me, even with Bose. The car radio and Apple CarPlay work together though. CPLAY2Air beats plugging the iPhone for short trips around the city, even with a small lag between command and execute, like when I press for next song and it gets implemented.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts