Porsche 718 Forum banner

221 - 240 of 242 Posts

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Does the Boxster benefit less from disconnecting? I am just thinking that with the top down it does not play as large a role?
My experience with pulling the fuse on a Boxster is that with top down and at low load and/or low engine speed difference is negligible.
With top down and hammering it difference is much more pronounced.
With top up the difference is very pronounced, and I would actually say that the car with fuse pulled has to little exhaust noise with top up.
Luckily i rarely drive it with top up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just did this on my 2018 Cayman GTS. Process was very straightforward thanks to all the info and images here. Looking forward to experiencing the difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Such an improvement on the daily commute, I can now enjoy classical music instead of judas priest covering the drone sound :) Hearing the whirring of the gears also made the car so much more enjoyable ! It is strange but apparantly no-one in my country knows about "der Soundaktor", I am spreading the word !

Reactions: JazzCatGab

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have not carefully read all previous 225 posts but what I did see about the location of the fuse (in the rear trunk) is not obvious when I look in the rear trunk of my 2019 base Boxster. However, I do have two obvious fuse panels, one on each side of the cabin by the driver's and passenger's feet. Although I really enjoy the exhaust sound, knowing it is partially fake just does not sit right with me. It is actually somewhat embarrasing the exhaust note is electronically enhanced and something I would more expect in a high school kid's ricer with coffee can mufflers and a spoiler appropriate in size for a 747. So I want to pull the fuse to at least see the difference. I would appreciate if someone who has accessed this fuse in a late model Boxster would restate where that fuse is located. Thanks

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have not carefully read all previous 225 posts but what I did see about the location of the fuse (in the rear trunk) is not obvious when I look in the rear trunk of my 2019 base Boxster. However, I do have two obvious fuse panels, one on each side of the cabin by the driver's and passenger's feet. Although I really enjoy the exhaust sound, knowing it is partially fake just does not sit right with me. It is actually somewhat embarrasing the exhaust note is electronically enhanced and something I would more expect in a high school kid's ricer with coffee can mufflers and a spoiler appropriate in size for a 747. So I want to pull the fuse to at least see the difference. I would appreciate if someone who has accessed this fuse in a late model Boxster would restate where that fuse is located. Thanks
In the rear on the passenger side. Lift hatch, look right, remove panel, pull fuse.
I'd suggest finding the very good photos that have been posted in this thread.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Page 4 of this thread has the pics.

·
Super Moderator
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #229

·
Registered
375 Posts
Thanks for all the advice above. I have not pulled the fuse yet but had an eyeball on it yesterday by simply pulling the carpet away from the side.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just disconnected the soundaktor's plug today. The car is quieter now, but the sound you get inside is purer and cleaner. No more drone when revving up. Now I can even get to hear some pops and crackles when downshifting. However now I start to feel the need for an exhaust upgrade. It has become too quiet!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just taken my fuse out, I’ve had just under two weeks since driving the car out of the showroom so I’ll give it a week to see if i can tell the difference, i have noticed a droning noise that’s always apparent regardless of revs thought.
i will post my findings.
cheers Andrew

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just popped the fuse in my 2020 Cayman Base, and I'm sure the cabin is quieter, and the engine sounds appear to be coming from further to the rear....and the radio now sounds better when on the move. So...the fuse stays out for the time being as I think it is an improvement overall. No other side effects noticed so far with the fuse out.

·
Registered
2018 Cayman GTS
21 Posts
did mine, a three minute mod.. I d say it s better not a huge difference. There seems to be a vibration sound thats gone which is good.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Just popped the fuse in my 2020 Cayman Base, and I'm sure the cabin is quieter, and the engine sounds appear to be coming from further to the rear....
This was my view also - engine sounds now coming from where they should be coming from. Very important!!☺

·
Registered
15 Posts
It’s been 4 months for me with the fuse pulled. I would never put it back.

I’d love to understand the thinking behind having the soundaktor...from the company that charges extra for every feature, here is a “feature” that they do not reveal.

It costs them money, and although some people say they hear little difference, I don’t think anyone says they prefer the sound with the soundaktor to the sound without; or at least this is almost unanimous.

221 - 240 of 242 Posts