Porsche 718 Forum banner

241 - 260 of 294 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
I took out the soundakator fuse on a friends 2 month old Boxster yesterday. When he got back after an hours drive he said it transformed the sound of the car from the inside. Needless to say he said the fuse would not be going back in.
I still can't believe Porsche put this abomination into our cars. Horrible!😞

·
Registered
219 Posts
so after having the fuse pulled since i bought the car i decided to plug it back in to see if there's a difference. i can totally tell the difference between the two. crazy they would even do such a thing. pulled it out half way through my drive cause i didn't like it

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had a 4.0 GTS as a loner for three days two weeks ago. What a wonderful car. Very punchy and **** of motorsound near the red line. But not the total gamechanger compared to my 2.0l. Not worth 35k to upgrade.

I think they have the same soundaktor noise as the 2-0 2.5. Cause driving in sport/sport+ mode and pressing the PSE button will turn the speaker on/off together with the PSE valeves. I checked that several times and thought i heard the speaker.
Can someone compare that?

·
Registered
2018 718 GTS 6M
11 Posts
Just picked up a CPO 2018 CGTS 6M, and after having never done this on a 2.0 cayman, decided to try it, after reading the Beowulf sized thread here.

My ears have admittedly been pounded into submission by listening to Led Zeppelin for 42 of my 52 years, but the difference, to me, was startling. I absolutely hear the exhaust and engine better, and the “air cooled” type whine at low speeds reminds me of my just traded 911 in a small way.

An added bonus- my wife said my voice was 10 times clearer on the bluetooth connection, although unfortunately, now that she can clearly hear what I have to say, she is seeking a good divorce lawyer...

THANK YOU to all for your reviews and development of this thread. I’m a chicken, and would not have done this without this mountain of info...

-Zelig

·
Registered
493 Posts
I had a 4.0 GTS as a loner for three days two weeks ago. What a wonderful car. Very punchy and **** of motorsound near the red line. But not the total gamechanger compared to my 2.0l. Not worth 35k to upgrade.

I think they have the same soundaktor noise as the 2-0 2.5. Cause driving in sport/sport+ mode and pressing the PSE button will turn the speaker on/off together with the PSE valeves. I checked that several times and thought i heard the speaker.
Can someone compare that?
I would be interested to know if my GTS 4.0 comes with this ridiculous device. Anybody know for certain?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Great question. My guess would be no. Regardless, Porsche should provide the answer without any fuss. Then again, I wouldn’t hold my breath for a reply...speedy or otherwise.

You could pull the 7.5 amp fuse from the usual location for a more immediate answer, although, you may learn more than you bargained for.

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
Porsche in general seems really about performance rather than artificial noise so I wonder who the Soundaktor noise is aimed at.

I don't like it, I can't see the Germans wanting it, and nearly everyone here who has deactivated it has no desire to re-connect it. It would appear to be a waste of money and engineering.

Speculate away all. Who actually wants that extra engine noise in the cabin?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Porsche in general seems really about performance rather than artificial noise so I wonder who the Soundaktor noise is aimed at.

I don't like it, I can't see the Germans wanting it, and nearly everyone here who has deactivated it has no desire to re-connect it. It would appear to be a waste of money and engineering.

Speculate away all. Who actually wants that extra engine noise in the cabin?
Probably the same marketing team who gave us invisible gauges during daylight hours due to badly selected background & needle colors.
MOO

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
Probably the same marketing team who gave us invisible gauges during daylight hours due to badly selected background & needle colors.
MOO
Yeah, that's all very strange. The stock gauges on my 2017 Base Boxster are perfectly readable any time. Only the options and 'new' standards on some models are hard to see.
Do you think the marketers got hold of options after the engineers were finished?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Yeah, that's all very strange. The stock gauges on my 2017 Base Boxster are perfectly readable any time. Only the options and 'new' standards on some models are hard to see.
Do you think the marketers got hold of options after the engineers were finished?
Yes I believe they did. The cluster colors are somewhat dependent on which model you have. I just did a comparison on the configurator. The base, T, & GTS all have the same color gauge background. The S is different, being grey or something like that. Why the difference? There is no logical reason for it so to me that has the smell of marketing & product differentiation all over it.
Here are snips from the configurator, with the S on the right:

I can't imagine anyone being able to see the grey S gauge above, and there have been lots of complaints about the visibility of that gauge. I'm guessing yours are like the ones on the left. Surprisingly, our 2018 GTS is the same color or at least they are, based on the configurator snips I made before we ordered our car. To me they look less "contrasty" in real life. They look in these snips like they would be fairly easy to see but for me and others, in the real world they aren't. Add shadows & sunglasses to an already dark car & they disappear.

Back to our regular scheduling thread now. My take is that there were enough voices in Porsche marketing saying something like "this engine doesn't sound like the almighty & venerable F6 so we must fake it somehow in the cockpit. No one will notice the fake sounds!" rather than letting the engine stand on it's own 2 feet. Other companies have done this as well as we know, but it's a real shame that Porsche felt the need to wallow in that mud also. I thought they'd be better than that.

MOO & FWIW

241 - 260 of 294 Posts