Porsche 718 Forum banner

281 - 294 of 294 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow many thanks for everyone's efforts here (I posted above about the battery drain after pulling the fuse. It's on a 2018 boxster gts).

We did see the E_Sound fault.

Only other data is that it's 20-30 degrees F here.

Really interested in people with the 2017 or 2018 model that have pulled the fuse and left the car to sit, locked, for 2 or more days without a maintainer?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Wow many thanks for everyone's efforts here (I posted above about the battery drain after pulling the fuse. It's on a 2018 boxster gts).

Really interested in people with the 2017 or 2018 model that have pulled the fuse and left the car to sit, locked, for 2 or more days without a maintainer?
i have owned three 718 and no issue what so ever :)

·
Registered
168 Posts

My car is a 2020, so not 2017-18 specific fuse came out at showroom before i drove away after hand over.
Cheers Andrew

·
Registered
968 Posts

I have a 2018 Cayman GTS with the fuse pulled. I have left the car sit in the garage for over 3 weeks with no problems at all. The only time our car goes on the battery minder is during the winter.
FWIW

·
Registered
2018 Cayman GTS
140 Posts
I have a 2018 Cayman GTS with the fuse pulled. I have left the car sit in the garage for over 3 weeks with no problems at all. The only time our car goes on the battery minder is during the winter.
FWIW
Ditto... same here.

·
Registered
2018 Cayman GTS
140 Posts
I am not convinced that the car keeps pining it self "constantly" looking or searching. It might but seems to be lack of info to conclude that is what happens.
Would it stand to reason also that once it trips the code it will stop searching ??
Got to think Porsche is smart enough not to allow the Soundakator to cause the car to be at the risk of not starting. Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Would anyone be able to recommend a test I could perform to find out what's up?

Many tx
Take the exercise back to basis use a multimeter with a shunt and measure the resistance through the fuse remove the fuse and again measure the resistance from the power side this will indicate if there is a current draw without the fuse in place.

Cheers A

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am not convinced that the car keeps pining it self "constantly" looking or searching. It might but seems to be lack of info to conclude that is what happens.
Would it stand to reason also that once it trips the code it will stop searching ??
Got to think Porsche is smart enough not to allow the Soundakator to cause the car to be at the risk of not starting. Just thinking out loud.
I think you are correct. Going on my experience with the Garmin aviation system, the CAN bus does a start up " who is on the bus and working " and then reports any faults, and tells you what is not operating. That sistuation remains until either you do a power cycle, or the bad module comes good for whatever reason, and reports in. Porsche may do things differently, but from memory, the CAN system was originally invented by Mercedes or Bosch and then adapted for aviation use, so the methodology should be similar.

When the car is parked up, I don't think it is constantly looking for modules on the bus.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As an update . . Dealership says battery was bad and replaced it. then they pulled the fuse and tested and verified that with it pulled no current was being drawn.

Fingers crossed this was only a bad battery issue.

For anyone else... If the car display is showing you it is always charging 15 volts and higher as mine was before the new battery, that seems to be correlated with something being wrong.

Thanks everyone

281 - 294 of 294 Posts