Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I took delivery of my MY2018 UK spec Cayman about 5 weeks ago, as standard we get (I think it’s called) PCM Connect Plus, essentially SatNav, Voice Control and some other online features such as Google Maps.

You’re able to set favourites via the online portal or on the PCM and “should” be able to say for example “Take me to Home” or “Take me to work” using the voice stalk on the steering wheel. However when I try, all I get is an error tone or some contact shown from my phone instead of setting my route to the stored destinations.

Has anyone else used this feature on their UK spec 718 & got it to work?

·
892 Posts
Hey All,

I took delivery of my MY2018 UK spec Cayman about 5 weeks ago, as standard we get (I think it’s called) PCM Connect Plus, essentially SatNav, Voice Control and some other online features such as Google Maps.

You’re able to set favourites via the online portal or on the PCM and “should” be able to say for example “Take me to Home” or “Take me to work” using the voice stalk on the steering wheel. However when I try, all I get is an error tone or some contact shown from my phone instead of setting my route to the stored destinations.

Has anyone else used this feature on their UK spec 718 & got it to work?
I didn't really find the voice recognition worked with any great success at all & therefore stopped even trying to use it. Basically I'd get pretty much anything but what I was actually requesting. However I can't say I've ever had much success with other similar voice recognition systems either.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have Connect + to control Google SatNav @Chilli ?

Voice controls for basic car / media functions on every car i’ve had with it has been poor / useless, however voice control on SatNav using Google or Siri on mobile phones has worked really well for me. It’s much easier to just press a button and say “Navigate me to [insert place]” than pressing buttons, especially useful to navigate Home so you can jump in the car, start driving, the just use voice to set the destination.

I’ve found several bugs with the PCM 718 system and just wanted to know if anyone has got it working!? - Someone at Porsche Connect support let slip it’s actually using Siri and Google Maps engines, so it *should* work as they are both reliable for me on mobiles but voice is useless on my 718 for some reason! :-(

·
Registered
310 Posts
I do not have navigation or voice control on my 718C. However, FWIW, the voice control feature on my 2014 Audi A5's navigation unit, which I believe is quite similar/related to the latest Porsche version, didn't work well at all. Not only did it have trouble understanding me (and I do believe that my enunciation is quite good), but I found the interface to be poorly laid out so that usage of the system was unnecessarily complicated. Now I just say "Ok Google" to my phone and either "take me home" or "take me to work", and navigation starts up. It was largely because of my experience with the Audi system that I eschewed getting the navigation module to the PCM when I ordered my car.

·
892 Posts
Do you have Connect + to control Google SatNav @Chilli ?

I do indeed have Connect+ because I'm also U.K based, where as you already know its fitment is standard. For me it seems to be more of an actual voice recognition issue & that applies with any function. Again as per "The Lip" my enunciation is good but I just get very little success. Also as background noise raises, the chances of it working correctly fall dramatically. Stationary there's maybe 20% chance or so of normal function (spread over all functions rather than specific). On the move possibly 10% or a little less & roof down, just forget it. I'll be honest I haven't tried it in quite a while as for it was never of real concern to me & if I'd had the choice I wouldn't have optioned Connect +. However having said that I've found the sat nav itself to be excellent on the few occasions I've used it & far better than the system fitted to my wife's BMW. Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I never really persevered as I see voice control as more of a gimmick that keeps getting foisted on me rather than something I've ever actually wanted or found useful. I've personally yet to find any voice control system that really worked for me be it from Microsoft, Apple, Amazon or anywhere else. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts