Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be trading my 718 GTS in for a 911.1 Turbo. Recently, prices have shot up in the used car market by about 5%-7%. I know I can get more for my trade in but it's a $60K car vs. the CPO Turbo I'm looking at is around $110K. If I had a $100K car to trade in it would make sense due to more leverage.

What are your thoughts? Should I wait until supply picks back up and prices drop a bit more? Obviously I need to consider my 2018 718 GTS's depreciation as well, so there's that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What I don't understand is there has been way more supply in my area. Prices are much higher too around 3-5k more then a year ago. Not many of these 718s are selling.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I don't understand is there has been way more supply in my area. Prices are much higher too around 3-5k more then a year ago. Not many of these 718s are selling.
I also fear that 718 2.5 will drop in price once the 718 4.0 hits the lots.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also fear that 718 2.5 will drop in price once the 718 4.0 hits the lots.
Exactly both the S and GTS. You will see trade ins for both. There will be even more supply imo. Keep looking around right now for 911.1 turbos you can get a much better price then that. There is a guy in Rennlist selling a 911.1 Turbo S Convertible for 86k

·
Registered
8 Posts
Exactly both the S and GTS. You will see trade ins for both. There will be even more supply imo. Keep looking around right now for 911.1 turbos you can get a much better price then that. There is a guy in Rennlist selling a 911.1 Turbo S Convertible for 86k
Personally I've also gotten offers for Turbos with 15-20k miles in the 90s. Used dealers I've been to call me whenever they have a 911 lol. Get an aftermarket warranty.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
If the market shifts, it shifts for both! Maybe not the same, but negligible

Now, you're getting more trade in and paying more purchase
vs
Waiting, you're getting less trade in and paying less purchase

·
Registered
8 Posts
Actually the price of the 2.5GTS will go up once people realize how good it is relative to the 4.0! Those of us who already have it will keep the 2.5GTS, enjoy it and save ourselves some money at the same time!
MOO
They way the 981 GTS is keeping it's value. If I had a 718 GTS 2.5 I would highly consider a 718 GTS 4.0.

The S is too close to the 2.5 GTS imo. It was a hard sell before with just the S and now there's the 4.0.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
All this talk on value is pointless. Value is geographically bias as well as an individual perception.

If you're buying a sports car for value... you're on the wrong forum! The exit is that way ------------->

·
Registered
8 Posts
All this talk on value is pointless. Value is geographically bias as well as an individual perception.

If you're buying a sports car for value... you're on the wrong forum! The exit is that way ------------->
Idk man when buying a sports car it feels like dealers keep trying to screw you over. I tried to buy a Supra last year and it was really annoying cars were marked up 15k-20k with dealer addons.

I really don't want to encourage dealers to keep up this scummy behavior.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Idk man when buying a sports car it feels like dealers keep trying to screw you over. I tried to buy a Supra last year and it was really annoying cars were marked up 15k-20k with dealer addons.

I really don't want to encourage dealers to keep up this scummy behavior.
Trying to have the latest and greatest when it's new is going to cost you and completely different.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really?? I've looked all over the country, at least one autotrader, and haven't found any in that price range. If this was 6 months ago, then absolutely.

Also, the one I'm after has been allegedly owned by a 75 year old lady. Looking at the condition of the car and the low mileage, I can believe it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Really?? I've looked all over the country, at least one autotrader, and haven't found any in that price range. If this was 6 months ago, then absolutely.

Also, the one I'm after has been allegedly owned by a 75 year old lady. Looking at the condition of the car and the low mileage, I can believe it.
2-3 months ago. From what I've seen any car that is a good deal sells incredibly quickly now. Now it seems like the only cars on market are priced a bit high.

I got 2 offers for a Turbo for 93-96k both were around 15-20k miles. 1 offer of 100k for a Turbo S with around 28k miles.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts

There’s a 2015 here in town for sale, priced at 118. I personally viewed it and it was very clean, but wife gave me a reality check.

edit: here’s the link Detail | SweetCars

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
2-3 months ago. From what I've seen any car that is a good deal sells incredibly quickly now. Now it seems like the only cars on market are priced a bit high.

I got 2 offers for a Turbo for 93-96k both were around 15-20k miles. 1 offer of 100k for a Turbo S with around 28k miles.
That’s great... how about providing year/mileage/options?

these details matter!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
That’s great... how about providing year/mileage/options?

these details matter!!!
One Turbo and the Turbo S convertible were from 2014 and black. Don't remember the other Turbo Honestly I wasn't really considering it so I didn't look into it. It's almost double of what I want to pay for a car.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Goes without saying, but a clean history weighs in heavy as well.

throwing out numbers means nothing without all the details.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Crazy how much they’ve actually gone up in value...

911 and 718 values show to be fairly equal in residuals. Both take a hit for the 2020 & 2019 MY's, which are expected as a new vehicle. After that they level out and or curve up slightly, for the most part they both still over achieve.

See... you pulled me into the topic of value. :mad: I stand firm that if you are really concerned about the value you are looking at the wrong items. If yer looking to make money you should have been buying stocks when COVID crippled the market! You'd have enough money made by now to pay cash for whatever you want and never touched what you initially invested. Would almost be like the car was free!

These are cars meant to be driven and WILL depreciate. Even on the linked articles, they all depreciate, but some out perform with LESS depreciation (shown as a positive [email protected]@@% of additional residual) .... still depreciation though.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts