Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

911 and 718 values show to be fairly equal in residuals. Both take a hit for the 2020 & 2019 MY's, which are expected as a new vehicle. After that they level out and or curve up slightly, for the most part they both still over achieve.

See... you pulled me into the topic of value. :mad: I stand firm that if you are really concerned about the value you are looking at the wrong items. If yer looking to make money you should have been buying stocks when COVID crippled the market! You'd have enough money made by now to pay cash for whatever you want and never touched what you initially invested. Would almost be like the car was free!

These are cars meant to be driven and WILL depreciate. Even on the linked articles, they all depreciate, but some out perform with LESS depreciation (shown as a positive [email protected]@@% of additional residual) .... still depreciation though.
oh....don't get me started on the market. I actually have a separate off-topic thread on that. Thus far, I'm ahead, but was a bit bumpy on the way up (and down) purely because of my emotions and first time investing into stocks.

You are right about values. There's nothing logical about buying a Porsche. The best "value" cars I've ever owned were, EVO IX, 6th gen Camaro SS, and S2K; in that order.

In terms of value, 991.1 Turbo next to my 718 makes absolutely no sense at all. 2X the price of my 718, but if you objectively scored important "enthusiasts'" attributes such as fun factor, steering feel, power, handling, etc., the 718 probably will come out on top.

·
Registered
963 Posts
They way the 981 GTS is keeping it's value. If I had a 718 GTS 2.5 I would highly consider a 718 GTS 4.0.

The S is too close to the 2.5 GTS imo. It was a hard sell before with just the S and now there's the 4.0.
Though it may not seem so, there is a world of difference between the S and GTS. Porsche ensures this by adding performance features to the GTS as standard that add significant cost as an option, such as PTV, or are not available at all in the S, that being the different turbo fitted to the GTS vs the S. Both of those make the car a different beast, especially if it's going to be a track car.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Though it may not seem so, there is a world of difference between the S and GTS. Porsche ensures this by adding performance features to the GTS as standard that add significant cost as an option, such as PTV, or are not available at all in the S, that being the different turbo fitted to the GTS vs the S. Both of those make the car a different beast, especially if it's going to be a track car.
Or if you are an early car like mine, GTS was not an option. 2017 the S model was the top trim o_O

You had to select all the individual options and pay the piper if you wanted one equipped as the GTS comes standard! Mine was built this way.😎

·
Registered
963 Posts
Or if you are an early car like mine, GTS was not an option. 2017 the S model was the top trim o_O

You had to select all the individual options and pay the piper if you wanted one equipped as the GTS comes standard! Mine was built this way.😎
With the larger VTG turbo?

·
Registered
963 Posts
I think that is the only component/option that isn't available on an S. All the rest are at a cost.
So I was at a fundraiser on Sunday. It was a cars event to raise money for the Mario Lemieux Foundation at a friends house. One of the guys who I do not know, brought his McClaren 570S, an R8 v10 and a Motto Guzzi. When I drove up he came down the driveway to check out my car. He told another person at the party how much he liked it. Heck he could have just told me lol

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
So I was at a fundraiser on Sunday. It was a cars event to raise money for the Mario Lemieux Foundation at a friends house. One of the guys who I do not know, brought his McClaren 570S, an R8 v10 and a Motto Guzzi. When I drove up he came down the driveway to check out my car. He told another person at the party how much he liked it. Heck he could have just told me lol

Looks like a good time! We're suppose to be doing a 50+ vehicle drive this weekend.

·
Registered
591 Posts
When I was initially looking at buying a 718 I felt that the GTS wasn't worth the extra money. I was able to spec an S exactly how I wanted it (including every performance option that is standard on the GTS) for less than the cost of the GTS. The GTS would have required compromises on my part (for eg. wheel colour was one) and been about 12 to 15% more and I just didn't feel it warranted the premium. Then I decided to wait for what was often referred to as the 718/6 as I felt that car would be worth the premium and I would have bought one if the Carrera T didn't interfere with my plans.

Interestingly enough I went to my dealer today to view the first GTS 4.0 in NZ and it was all I expected it to be. I would be very happy with one.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Mario is the reason I always ask for 66 at DE and AX....thanks for the cool video!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts