1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
94 Posts
LEDs, SC, 18-way. Just missing PVT, but folks will argue that PVT is overkill for a DD.

There’s no kill like over kill :) and a Porsche is overkill for a DD so... mine has PVT :cool:

It is optioned nicely. Those three options enhance its utility as a DD and they are very uncommon on a Base IMO.

My 300 hp T is plenty fun ‘round town. I don’t miss the 50-65 bhp of the less-base models. (And yes, I have driven them.)

If you don’t like that base after a short time, they way prices are on used Porsches, in the short-term future you can probably drive it for 5-6 months and lose next to nothing in depreciation.

If the options are that Base, wait for an S with the same options to appear, or order new...

·
Super Moderator
1,829 Posts
Seems optioned nice and I'm not sure if I need to have the 350hp for a daily (Cobb tune is easy to grab as well)
That does seem a nice package. I can't tell you what you need. 🙂
When I bought mine the dealer said the S was unnecessary for daily drive. I took his word and bought a base Boxster. It's the most fun I've had driving for decades, and the best car by far. Would I use more horses?—Sure. Do I need them or notice not having them?—No.
Summer's coming up there. Drive a Porsche this summer.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Nice. The best part is the run-in period is over by a little. Hard to believe in a 4ish-year-old car. Hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nice car, and with Sport Chrono, 20" Wheels, a solid choice.

Price seems to be good, specially if it comes with 2 years warranty.

Torque is model S is higher, but again, which level is enough for you ?

I have a base model, and in the city it does not matter if I have a Base, S or GTS since we are limited to 35 mph.

I agree with comment above : if you regret and want to sell it, you may get 100% (or more) of your money back.

Go ahead. Cheers

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all, in the last few years I had an M2, GR Supra and currently driving a 21 Type R just to experience it before it goes away. But I really wanted to get into a Porsche now and this one just popped up and looked great. I don't need anything super fast anymore, my track and drag racing days are over and this would be my daily w/ backroads everyday to work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I went from an 06 S to a base 2018. Aside from my pride being hurt a bit about not having an S anymore, I haven't found it at all lacking. It's my daily driver.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Nice option package (a couple of personal things I’d get-heated seats-looks like you’re in North) but it does have 18w power SSP which is good. mileage is great. Ready to go.

I have a ‘17 base with manual. Love it. I’m going to get a tune this summer (out of warranty this mont).

·
Registered
548 Posts
I am very happy with my base 718. I came from an M3 so the base 718 was a considerable drop in power from what I was used to. Nonetheless I find it perfectly suitable and the manual transmission and mid engine layout are really what the car is all about. If I were you I wouldnt hesitate to grab a well optioned base car.

·
Registered
80 Posts
That does seem a nice package. I can't tell you what you need. 🙂
When I bought mine the dealer said the S was unnecessary for daily drive. I took his word and bought a base Boxster. It's the most fun I've had driving for decades, and the best car by far. Would I use more horses?—Sure. Do I need them or notice not having them?—No.
Summer's coming up there. Drive a Porsche this summer.
i agree. The s is too much power for everyday. Like you don’t want to be tired rushing to work and make and oopsies

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i agree. The s is too much power for everyday. Like you don’t want to be tired rushing to work and make and oopsies
Haha well I had a 550+ hp 2020 Supra so 350 isn't that wild in the grand scheme of things I just wasn't sure if I'd be missing out on much more.
Thanks again to all who replied, great community here

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have an 18 PDK base Cayman. I've driven the S. It is just like the base only a little more. Both are virtually equal at inducing grins. I think the turned up nose against the base car might have made more sense when the base had 217 and S has 250hp. I am currently driving my friends 444hp M3 competition and find very few times and places where I can floor it. In a few moments, you are in handcuff territory. Good luck with your decision.

I chose the slower Cayman over the M2 because of the handling. Good luck!

·
Registered
2018 BOXSTER BASE PDK. 2018 MACAN S
36 Posts
Nice. The best part is the run-in period is over by a little. Hard to believe in a 4ish-year-old car. Hope it works out for you.
BUY IT
I can only rarely give my base the gas, not many places to drive fast.
if ur changing lanes and passing on the inside lane to the middle lane on a 3 lane hyway u have to be careful not to run up he back of the car in the middle lane

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have an S with APR tune and downpipe (should be around 80hp more than S). I give it all it has quite regularly and would happily take more! But if you want it for a daily driver in city traffic, the base would be fine... I tend to use the full power I have on weekends more than commuting. But having the more power makes the car no less satisfying to drive at light throttle around town.

I realise as a purist sports car that the essence is on beautifully balanced handling, but having owned a few high hp cars, I still enjoy a good shove in the back when the opportunity arrives.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Honestly, I don't feel like I'm missing out at all on the road.
I can hardly use all the power anyway. 3 seconds of going through the gears and I'm at risk of losing my license :LOL:
Maybe I'd feel different if I tracked it. But I don't and never will.

·
Registered
372 Posts
My point above is really that nobody is wrong. Some people want the extra power. Others are happy without. With these cars, the higher powered S model looks near identical, so the base does not look like a cheaper car. The OP just needs to decide if he wants that extra power. I would still be happy with a base, but I would miss the hit in the back knowing how mine goes. Also, I personally think the 718 is a very nice and fast looking car. But there are many family wagons that can out accelerate the lowest incarnation of it and I think a car that looks that fast should out accelerate family wagons!! :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
X5 M40i off the top of my head, but there are other similar SUVs from porsche/Audi Mercedes.... sub 5s 0-60mph mid range SUVs... that is not even the top of the line M versions with the the turbo V8s like the X5 M compeition which is sub 4 0-60.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts