Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,821 Posts
X5 M40i off the top of my head, but there are other similar SUVs from porsche/Audi Mercedes.... sub 5s 0-60mph mid range SUVs... that is not even the top of the line M versions with the the turbo V8s like the X5 M compeition which is sub 4 0-60.
According to the test by Car & Driver the 2017 Boxster (base) PDK does 0-60 mph in 4.0.

·
Super Moderator
1,821 Posts
Can you repeat that in your base? How about a 2021 model without SC and with GPF?
Repeat? Nah, not my thing.
Porsche usually under-states the performance of their cars and I am continually amazed at how many 'tests' just get the Porsche standard numbers.

The newer models aren't as fast because of the GPF and other anti-pollution mods. The test car was a base model and no launch control etc. were used. Just a skilled driver, and this was in the days before they used the now-standard 1 foot roll out.

Here's the driver's results sheet.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Are you sure the CompMode does not mean S+ mode and it would be difficult to launch without launch mode in S+ unless you don't stall it up. I can't see 0-60 in 4.0 without stalling up the engine.

Anyway, my point is that you can cherry pick results to prove anything. It is likely a more normal time for a base PDK without SC would be around 5 seconds. And that is comparable with many mid range mid sized SUVs..... I mean Porsche claims for the Macan GTS (which is slower than the turbo variant) are pretty much the same as the Cayman Base and they would be tested to the same standard. There are similar mid range SUVs with similar performance from most Euro manufacturers. I see you are Australian... a few year old Commodore SS Wagon or Kia Stinger which is a fairly cheap family car would be fairly compeititve on acceleration with a 718 base...... unless you luck out with the one that does 0-60 in 4.0!!

For me personally, I want my sports looking car to be quicker than a fairly common quickish family car.... but that is just me. Not everyone cares like I do. I mean MX-5s are fairly pedestrian in acceleration but very popular and appear to be a fun drive. I'm not having a go at anyone for their own values in a car... just stating my own!

Before my car (718BS) was modded I borrowed a performance box to do some measurements on my car. Unfortunately I could not get to a good road for testing while I had it, so had a short back road that was slippery. So I did S launch rather than S+ and it did 0-100kph in 4.2 which is better than Porsche claimed in far from ideal conditions. I plan to get the equipment and do it again after mods. Hopefully in better conditions. Hoping for a mid 3.

·
Registered
138 Posts
It's not the world of difference you're making it out to be. It's a 0.4 second difference to 100. Maybe it's your justification for a **** load of extra cash. But drive them back to back to find out.

·
Registered
369 Posts
You are right. I have not driven a 2.0L. I purchased 2.5L with the intention to mod for more power...... Compared to my previous BMW M135I, I wanted something that had mid engine hanlding but was not any slower acceleration than the previous car, so I went for the 2.5L. If I did not have a backround in modded high hp cars, I probably would have been fine with the 2.0L and I am sure they are fantastic for general driving duties. I was just trying to provide some balance to the argument of 2.0L vs 2.5L. IMHO, many will be more than satisfied with the 2.0L, but those with a penchant for a more responsive and faster accelerating car will find the money well spend on the 2.5L.

·
Super Moderator
1,821 Posts
I am confused with that sheet...
Isn´t that 2.5 718 Boxster on Top mean that it was an S Model ??
It says on the sheet that it is 2.5 turns lock-to-lock.

This is a quote from the printed review:
"In combination with the quick-shifting PDK dual-clutch automatic, the lightweight Boxster reaches 60 mph in 4.0 seconds and lays down a 12.5-second quarter-mile time. That’s a mere 0.4 and 0.6 second behind the 718 Boxster S PDK we tested previously,"

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bag has been secured, pics later this weekend if I can get some sleep after the long drive to get the car!
Congrats! Base model? You’ll enjoy it a ton.

For anyone questioning if anyone else can get a 4 second 0-60 with a base, I can on a completely stock 2019 base. No mods.

Dragy times attached. I got a 4.05 second 0-60 without a rollout, and 3.83 seconds with the 1-foot rollout which is what I believe Car and Driver uses. Also got a 12.38 second 1/4 mile.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts