Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2018 Boxster S is nearing its 4 year anniversary. It has only 9000 miles and has been problem free so far. Since the original warranty expires soon, I'm trying to decide whether to buy an extended warranty. My dealer is quoting $4700 for 3 more years with a $200 deductible, $5000 for 4 years, $5500 for 5 years and $7800 for 6 years. They will not negotiate. I believe they will waive the deductible if I take it there for service. I know that such warranties are a profit center for dealers. My salesman keeps reminding me how much relatively minor repairs can cost. I know this has been discussed before so forgive me but this is my last opportunity if I want to do it. I would appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My salesman keeps reminding me how much relatively minor repairs can cost
Yes, and dealers create this problem by charging twice the hourly shop rate as independents. Pocket the $5k, find a good indie, and self insure.

·
Super Moderator
2,351 Posts
Hmmm, hard decision considering the modest mileage.

Generally extended warranties are more expensive than the non-warranty repairs so I'd say "no go"—except I bought a "4 years for the price of 3" to extend my warranty to 9 years for A$3995. I put about 15,000 km on my Boxster every year.

I just had the water pump replaced under warranty. Porsche insists on a long test of the replacement and a rather complete inspection when it's done and they had the car for 2 days. My bill was A$0, but I'm sure it would have been a fairly expensive proposition.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Personally I would stay away from third party warranties. IIRC there is no deductible with a proper Porsche CPO warranty but it’s more like $2k per year.

I’ve had my Boxster for over 15 years. It’s been in the shop once. ( summer car, not DD) It cost $2k at an indie for water pump. My indie is about 75% of the price of dealer, ( my best guess).

I don’t t buy a lot of insurance anyway. Everybody has their own comfort level. I’m still driving my 2005 Boxster S with the original IMS bearing…god forbid!

I would bank the money. That’s just me..

·
Registered
773 Posts
To buy or not to buy an extended warranty is not the question, but it is the dilemma. On one hand, there is a peace of mind associated with buying an extended warranty that helps one to sleep well at night and there is lot to be said for peace of mind. On the other hand, there is the hard fact that ~$5K+ (the cost of the extended warranty) or so covers a lot of fixing, the need for which, is likely very low probability but, nevertheless, still finite. I personally like and agree with the generally considered definition that defines insurance as something smart to have to cover catastrophic events. So, in summary, we are rolling the dice but the odds are very much in our favor that we will never have repairs exceeding the very high cost of the warranty. If lady luck fails me here (very low probability), it will be very painful, but I nevertheless can cough up the money. Now, $20K or more to replace an engine has some finite probability associated with it but in my entire lifetime I never have known anyone that only uses their car for street driving that has had to do this so it is not something that I will worry about. Bottom line: With only one exceotion (a 1988 BMW E30 M3) I never have bought an extended warranty for anything and never have regretted that. I also consider that one exception I made a piss poor decision for myself.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Warranty is only worth it if you use it and if you use it its worth it.

I'll give you an example: a replacement NA 6 Cyl 4.0 is £36000 and a PDK gearbox £12000. Porsche do not repair gearboxes, they are replaced.

I know the chances of needing to use a warranty may be slim yet I'll sleep better knowing that I've paid my money and if anything goes wrong I can call Porsche recovery and they'll take it away to fix and provide me with a loaner until it's ready for me to collect.

Personally I'd buy it and one thing to remember, if you sell it on the warranty is transferable so may be more appealing to a new owner. You can also up the selling price as his has a manufacturers warranty.

·
Registered
2018 Base Cayman 6MT, H&R springs, AgencyPower catback, MRR wheels
177 Posts
It is always calculated risk, I personally wouldn’t buy an extended warranty. If those who sold them mostly lost money nobody would offer them. However sometimes they pay off like insurance.

·
Registered
2019 Boxster GTS, 2018 M5, prior '16 M2, '15 Q7, '13 Q8L, '04 A4 Cab, '03 RS6, '00 A6, '97 M3, '94 3
372 Posts
If you own it outright, run the gamble. If you have a note still and end up with a $5000 or more bill for a repair, you'll be glad you had the warranty.

Mike

·
Registered
107 Posts
Opinions yay and nay, but has anyone considered that there is an "exclusions" clause in all warranties, some of which will exclude stuff because you missed an oil change by 500 miles, or it doesn't cover "wear" items (clutches, anything that moves,etc), etc. A million ways for the warrantor to screw you. If you have an extended warranty, read the exclusions (the tiny, greyed-out print).

·
Registered
773 Posts
On rare occasions one will be super glad to have an extended warranty. However, if you always buy an extended warranty, the odds are ultra high you will spend a ton more in premiums over time than any even big benefits you might get. This is why extended warranties are such an enormous profit item for those selling them be it TVs, washing machines, refrigerators, cars, etc. Not too long ago I read a credible article that explained many big box stores implement a business model that sells products at cost or even a loss as profit is made from selling extended warranties. That is why car dealers etc. push them so offensively hard. There just would not be such huge very dependable profits if the buyers came out ahead. Sadly, a large percentage of consumers purchasing extended warranties must finance their Refrigerator, car, etc. and fear not being able to pay (without more financing) for a very unlikely (but certainly possible) catastrophic repair. Extended warranties are sold to allay fears, not at all because they are smart business for the consumer. It troubles me to see people waste their money on them so that is why I made this second post.

·
Registered
2018 Cayman S
188 Posts
My 2018 Boxster S is nearing its 4 year anniversary. It has only 9000 miles and has been problem free so far. Since the original warranty expires soon, I'm trying to decide whether to buy an extended warranty. My dealer is quoting $4700 for 3 more years with a $200 deductible, $5000 for 4 years, $5500 for 5 years and $7800 for 6 years. They will not negotiate. I believe they will waive the deductible if I take it there for service. I know that such warranties are a profit center for dealers. My salesman keeps reminding me how much relatively minor repairs can cost. I know this has been discussed before so forgive me but this is my last opportunity if I want to do it. I would appreciate any advice.
Pocket the money and earmark it for repairs. I have had more than 75 cars, 13 of them Jaguars, in my lifetime. In spite of Jaguar's well deserved reputation for reliability, I have never purchased an extended warranty on any car and have no regrets.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I know it’s not Porsche but I bought an used Aston Martin from an Aston dealer, sight unseen. To have a little added protection I purchased the manufactures “ Timeless Warranty”. It’s not cheap. It’s about $4000 per year. Anyway, I had an issue during the extended warranty period and Aston corporate were complete scumbags about covering the repair.

First, I never should have wasted the addition 4K on the extra year warranty, particularly since the car still had one year of the original 3 year warranty. I convinced myself that getting the car covered would somehow double down the dealer efforts to make it right before shipping the car. Probably just stupid logic on my part Second, I will never buy any product including a car, sold by Aston..again, as long as the same people are running the company.

However, I’ve never had anything but good interactions with Porsche CPO warranties and corporate personnel. Caveat Emptor.

·
Registered
2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6-speed
504 Posts
When my 2014 Cayman S was about to hit warranty expiration, I took it in for 4 year service and service manager did a more thorough inspection - equivalent to a CPO inspection. He advised AGAINST getting an extended warranty. I had around 28k miles at the time and had 0 issues or repairs. I took his advice and over the next 4.5 years and 20k more miles had 0 issues or repairs.

Couple of things to consider: my car was always garaged (heated). A car that spends a lot of time outside with wide temperature swings will suffer more weather related wear and tear even if not driven. My car was a manual transmission. PDKs are reliable, but a failure is dramatically more expensive than a manual clutch replacement. My car was well maintained - I changed my oil myself every 3,500-4,000 miles. i had the dealer do everything else as specified in annual maintenance. Mine was 6 cylinder 3.4 engine. My service manager referred to it as bulletproo. Not aware if the reputation of the 2.5 Turbo is similarply positive.

My experience with my 981 Cayman was much better than my previous 997 911 S. I would bank the cost of the extended warranty and pay for repairs - if any are needed - out of pocket. In my case, that was $0.

·
Registered
2018 BOXSTER BASE PDK. 2018 MACAN S
129 Posts
On my 2018 MACAN S 28K
I bought the safeguard warranty from PORSHE
$5300
$250 deductible
6 more years, 120K mikes.
I called 8 dealers to get this $
Good at any PORSHE dealer in US, and only PORSHE dealers.

good luck

·
Registered
Waiter's Club
181 Posts
I self insure when ever possible, so I have no plans for an extended warranty. If owning a 718 gets to be too much for my wallet then I'll find a buyer and move on. If I have lots of warranty issues I may move on sooner than later. Some view extended warranties as "peace of mind". I view extended warranties as them trying to get a "piece of mine". To each their own.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have 27500 on my 2018 and have had zero issues. I would not get the extended unless you take it to the track.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought a safeguard Porsche extended plan. 9 years from in service date, 60k miles 250 deductible for 5k. There's a guy at Gaudin Porsche LV who is easy to work with and helps you do everything remotely as long as your car is under factory warranty.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts