Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am looking to get some track wheels and tires from Apex for the summer this year. I’m specifically looking at the 18” SM-10 wheels that are 9” in front and 10” in back but they suggested getting camber plates for my base Cayman to increase the negative camber beyond what the stock chassis provides to prevent scrubbing the fenders.

I would hate to void the warrant should I ever need warranty work done. Does anyone have experience going to a dealer with camber plates and getting warranty work completed? I know some dealers are track/mod friendly and others not so much. Is it best to ask the dealer beforehand how they go about warranty work with cars that have mods?

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Yep, best to figure out where your dealer stands first. Some are very supportive of track days (safety checks, appropriate alignments and service intervals, even sponsorship), while others claim any track time is strictly verboten.

·
Vendor
285 Posts
Just depends on your dealer. We tune cars on our dyno for our local dealership..

The warranty should only be affected on the parts that are being replaced if at all.

The Tarett top plates add about 1 degree of negative camber. GT3 style LCAs are the other option. A bit more cost but more adjustment and you can keep bushings in place without going to monoballs. Just depends on what you're doing with the car.

I run these exact wheels on my 987 Cayman and really like them. We're an Apex dealer and stock most of the Tarett and GT3 bits. Let me know if you have questions!

Joshua

Hi all,

I am looking to get some track wheels and tires from Apex for the summer this year. I’m specifically looking at the 18” SM-10 wheels that are 9” in front and 10” in back but they suggested getting camber plates for my base Cayman to increase the negative camber beyond what the stock chassis provides to prevent scrubbing the fenders.

I would hate to void the warrant should I ever need warranty work done. Does anyone have experience going to a dealer with camber plates and getting warranty work completed? I know some dealers are track/mod friendly and others not so much. Is it best to ask the dealer beforehand how they go about warranty work with cars that have mods?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just depends on your dealer. We tune cars on our dyno for our local dealership..

The warranty should only be affected on the parts that are being replaced if at all.

The Tarett top plates add about 1 degree of negative camber. GT3 style LCAs are the other option. A bit more cost but more adjustment and you can keep bushings in place without going to monoballs. Just depends on what you're doing with the car.

I run these exact wheels on my 987 Cayman and really like them. We're an Apex dealer and stock most of the Tarett and GT3 bits. Let me know if you have questions!

Joshua
Thanks for the info. How would I go about finding out if they’re mod friendly? Simply ask them?

Regarding the wheels, what setup would you recommend?

·
Vendor
285 Posts
What are your goals for the car? Occasional track? If so street tires, R-comps or slicks?

If it's for the street and you want aggressive tires with good manors I'd suggest Apex SM-10 19x9 et50 & 19x10 et40 (available in March) or Titan-7 T-S5s in 19x9 et48 & 19x10 et35 (in stock and forged) with Sport Cup 2s in 245/35/19 & 275/35/19. These are about a inch shorter overall.

18" wheels are lighter and have a lot more track oriented tire options. However, it can be tricky to find proper diameter tires..

Thanks for the info. How would I go about finding out if they’re mid friendly? Simply ask them?

Regarding the wheels, what setup would you recommend?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Occasional track use, and it’s my summer daily. I’m aiming for 4 to 6 (hopefully 8 😁) track days this spring/summer.

I want the most aggressive track set up I can get as I am pretty competitive and like beating personal best times. But I would also want something I can drive to and from the track with. I’d probably want R-comps.

I am completely okay with swapping out the wheels with my stock 20” for my daily driving.

What are your goals for the car? Occasional track? If so street tires, R-comps or slicks?

If it's for the street and you want aggressive tires with good manors I'd suggest Apex SM-10 19x9 et50 & 19x10 et40 (available in March) or Titan-7 T-S5s in 19x9 et48 & 19x10 et35 (in stock and forged) with Sport Cup 2s in 245/35/19 & 275/35/19. These are about a inch shorter overall.

18" wheels are lighter and have a lot more track oriented tire options. However, it can be tricky to find proper diameter tires..

·
Vendor
285 Posts
Occasional track use, and it’s my summer daily. I’m aiming for 4 to 6 (hopefully 8 😁) track days this spring/summer.

I want the most aggressive track set up I can get as I am pretty competitive and like beating personal best times. But I would also want something I can drive to and from the track with. I’d probably want R-comps.

I am completely okay with swapping out the wheels with my stock 20” for my daily driving.
The T-S5 in 18x9/10 are in stock and could be coupled with R888r in 255/35 & 275/35. These are noisy tires but driving them to the track is no problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool cool, I know forged is better but that’s out of my price range. I’d rather go with Apex wheels as I’ve heard they’re really good for the price.

The T-S5 in 18x9/10 are in stock and could be coupled with R888r in 255/35 & 275/35. These are noisy tires but driving them to the track is no problem.

·
Vendor
285 Posts
Cool cool, I know forged is better but that’s out of my price range. I’d rather go with Apex wheels as I’ve heard they’re really good for the price.
Apex are great, I run them on my Cayman. They just are back ordered into March right now..

·
Vendor
285 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That’s the set up/tires I was going to go with but I heard the Nitto NT01’s last longer so I may go with them instead, although they are a little slower. The tires I currently have are Michelin PS4S.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I dont know much about the Nittos but have heard they were good. We were looking for every 10th of a second for Autocross so that was the tire for us at the price of longevity.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts