Porsche 718 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Can you tell me what browser you are using? Is it fully updated?

- Cricket
FWIW, I update my Firefox every time Mozilla says to. I really really REALLY wish I hadn't. For the last six months or more, after every update my computer runs slower when I'm using Firefox. I'm talking about going off into the daisies for half a minute to maybe even as long as several minutes. With every update I keep hoping it will get better but it just gets worse. That's why I haven't updated Firefox on my computer at work.

·
Administrator
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
FWIW, I update my Firefox every time Mozilla says to. I really really REALLY wish I hadn't. For the last six months or more, after every update my computer runs slower when I'm using Firefox. I'm talking about going off into the daisies for half a minute to maybe even as long as several minutes. With every update I keep hoping it will get better but it just gets worse. That's why I haven't updated Firefox on my computer at work.
10-4,

Chrome is basically the main go-to for optimal user experience and functionality right now. I know this platform runs best on Chrome.

Jeff M

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
@718Admin

For some reason i cant quote your answer.
I have tried the arrow and it just might be that with this version it is harder to get an overwiev.
On the old it took 2 sec to se whats new and on wich threads there where a new post.

So i am not a fan of the new layout, dont fix anything thats not broken.........

·
Registered
434 Posts
Can you tell me what browser you are using? Is it fully updated?

- Cricket
Windows 10 Education Version with the latest browsers.

Also, I cannot easily increase the size of images on my iPhone by expanding my fingers - the image jumps to a huge blurred mess rather than a slightly increased image as with the old site.

·
Administrator
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
@718Admin

For some reason i cant quote your answer.
I have tried the arrow and it just might be that with this version it is harder to get an overwiev.
On the old it took 2 sec to se whats new and on wich threads there where a new post.

So i am not a fan of the new layout, dont fix anything thats not broken.........
How To Quote/MultiQuote
When you see a post that you want to quote, click the reply button on that post. It will automatically add the quoted content to the content area where you can add your reply/comments following the code.

A new screen will open. Now you can add your title, content, and any images you may want to add to your thread discussion. Make sure to click the “post thread” button when you’re done.

How To Find New Posts & Use Filters
From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on the popular button.

This will open a new page where you can click to choose “new posts”.

You can also choose to set special filters or mark all posts read on that same page.

Windows 10 Education Version with the latest browsers.

Also, I cannot easily increase the size of images on my iPhone by expanding my fingers - the image jumps to a huge blurred mess rather than a slightly increased image as with the old site. What happens if you just click the image?
Are you referring to Internet Explorer?

- Cricket

·
Registered
633 Posts
Please eliminate the Recommended Reading nonsense. It's just a waste of space and makes it difficult to find the last entry of the current page.
I'd ask "why are these even recommended?" They never have any relationship to the current thread being read. It's like a random recommendation generator.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I find the new arrangement confusing and non-intuitive on my PC. I don't use my phone for web surfing.
I tried to navigate but found the process clumsy.

Let me just say the I have two kids who are programmers and I taught industrial programming for many years...….so I appreciate the effort and I know that redesigning something like this can be a thankless and frustrating process. The speed and cross-platform accessibility is likely better.
But did anyone do any market research on the User Interface Flow?

I'm not quitting, but I have to be honest: if something is this much work, it will limit my interest.

I have been a fairly regular contributor. I expect that will diminish.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
@718Admin

Well the thing is that on your answers to me there is no "replay" button as on other posts :)

But now i found it, i use the black layout and since your post had alot of pics and i could not see any borders your posts where way longer then i thought.

So imho this layout sucks :(
I will change to white and see if it is the same.

edit
Yep that was the case, you use dark layout as do i and your pics just did your answers to one big mess ;)

·
Registered
397 Posts
My personality type is such that I am not a big fan of change, or more so change for changes sake, so if anybody should hate this new look it's me 😇 (not that this was a "change for changes sake"). And for the record, I liked the old site. I really don't think this new look is that hard to navigate though. I like reading all the new posts on the site. I click on the red square with the arrow for "popular", then the "new posts" tab, and I'm there. I have my filter set to "unread discussions". The site seems to take me to the first unread post since my last visit to the thread I'm viewing. Or I can hit the "jump to the latest" for the most recent post. I also filtered my New Showcase to "unviewed items" and my New Gallery to "unviewed media". If "New Posts" shows no new unread posts and I want to see threads I previously read, I hit the "You may view all latest posts instead" link (assuming it's a thread I haven't previously tagged as one I'm "following", for that click on your account detail avatar and then the following link). I'm using a desktop PC and 23" monitor in case anyone is interested, no phone surfing for me. I hate staring at a small screen 😈

·
Administrator
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Please eliminate the Recommended Reading nonsense. It's just a waste of space and makes it difficult to find the last entry of the current page.
I'd ask "why are these even recommended?" They never have any relationship to the current thread being read. It's like a random recommendation generator.
These are based on an algorithm, its still indexing the site so the recommendations may seem a little odd at first. Give it a little time, If you don't use the feature I doubt you will continue to notice it much.
-Philip

·
Administrator
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
My personality type is such that I am not a big fan of change, or more so change for changes sake, so if anybody should hate this new look it's me 😇 (not that this was a "change for changes sake").
You are certainly not alone.

And for the record, I liked the old site. I really don't think this new look is that hard to navigate though. I like reading all the new posts on the site. I click on the red square with the arrow for "popular", then the "new posts" tab, and I'm there.
This is the correct way to locate new posts.

The site seems to take me to the first unread post since my last visit to the thread I'm viewing. Or I can hit the "jump to the latest" for the most recent post.
The site by default will take you to where you last left off. Because it may not have the cookied info on the last post you read in a thread yet (the cut over is still pretty fresh) It will take you tot he beginning. In the top right of the screen after you have opened a thread, there is a jump to latest button there to take you swiftly to the end. If you regularly clear your cookies or browse incognito it will often bring you to the start.

I hate staring at a small screen 😈
Me too!

-Philip

·
Registered
633 Posts
These are based on an algorithm, its still indexing the site so the recommendations may seem a little odd at first. Give it a little time, If you don't use the feature I doubt you will continue to notice it much.
-Philip
Problem is I view the forum a lot on my phone. I open a thread & blast to the bottom to get to the new stuff. In the old order of things, that would get me real near where I want to be. Now I need to flip back up a bunch of pages & search for the bottom of the actual thread.
I would like to know what percentage of activity yields someone following a recommendation. I would be really surprised if it was > 5% and would expect it to be <2%. If those numbers are correct, then the recommendations are just getting in the way.
MOO

·
Registered
434 Posts
Are you referring to Internet Explorer?

- Cricket
The arrow and pencil images do not show up in Edge (latest version - default).
The arrow and pencil images and the banner photo do not show up in Explorer (latest version).
All work OK in Firefox and Chrome although I do not regularly use either of these browsers.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm warming to it now that I can get a desktop shortcut to open up direct to the Popular Posts New Posts page but I still preferred the old layout when I could go direct to my preferred sub-forum with a list of new posts across the sub forums to the side. No big deal though. Minor criticism that ads are now confused with posts so you read them when you don't want to. Deliberate I guess.
Main moan for me now is that I have to scroll down the cookie pop up before I can tick it then I have to close down a second pop up. Why not just leave it that when you close it, you've accepted it.

·
Administrator
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
The arrow and pencil images do not show up in Edge (latest version - default).
The arrow and pencil images and the banner photo do not show up in Explorer (latest version).
All work OK in Firefox and Chrome although I do not regularly use either of these browsers.
They are working on seeing if this can be resolved.

- Cricket

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wow. Not since the debate between turbo4 and na6 have I seen such strong emotions.

Clearly kudos for making the effort to make it more contemporary and I really like the Dark Mode.

But the main peeve is really not being able to see immediately the first few lines of latest reply for each thread, without having to click into the thread and then pressing the Jump to Latest button to get there. It really turns me off, and like others said, makes you come back less often and certainly less keen to contribute. PLEASE fix this.

It’s such a pity, for such a good forum and a great bunch of like minded and respectful 718 fans, to see this go anywhere but up.

·
Administrator
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
I'm warming to it now that I can get a desktop shortcut to open up direct to the Popular Posts New Posts page but I still preferred the old layout when I could go direct to my preferred sub-forum with a list of new posts across the sub forums to the side. No big deal though. Minor criticism that ads are now confused with posts so you read them when you don't want to. Deliberate I guess.
Main moan for me now is that I have to scroll down the cookie pop up before I can tick it then I have to close down a second pop up. Why not just leave it that when you close it, you've accepted it.
It's part of GDPR requirements. Once you have finished accepting it, you shouldn't have to do it again, unless you are clearing cookies, in which case it would return.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Wow. Not since the debate between turbo4 and na6 have I seen such strong emotions.

Clearly kudos for making the effort to make it more contemporary and I really like the Dark Mode.

But the main peeve is really not being able to see immediately the first few lines of latest reply for each thread, without having to click into the thread and then pressing the Jump to Latest button to get there. It really turns me off, and like others said, makes you come back less often and certainly less keen to contribute. PLEASE fix this.

It’s such a pity, for such a good forum and a great bunch of like minded and respectful 718 fans, to see this go anywhere but up.
We will be continuously updating design and user experience with weekly updates.

- Cricket

81 - 100 of 119 Posts