Porsche 718 Forum banner

261 - 280 of 296 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Not yet. I'm expecting it in February of 2021. I'm still stressing over my spec. Whether to go with my spec, or what I think will be more value/desirable for resale: View attachment 27837 my spec View attachment 27838 spec I think will hold value
Just an observation from years of doing the car buy/sell thing, not as a professional but as an enthusiast, unless you have loads of money or are IMHO making the mistake and thinking that you are buying the Spyder to flip it at some point for more money... build the car how you want to enjoy it, you never know what the next owner wants, in fact I don't care what they want, I built the car for me to enjoy right now! :)

OK southern Ontario, I am sure the weather is beautiful there this time of year too, with a December delivery of a Spyder I am guessing that it won't see much road time until next year?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you for your words of experience Westcoaster. I think you helped me make up my mind, and I'm sticking with my origional spec. I also want to become a Porsche enthusiast, and enjoy more GTs to come.

·
Registered
2017 Porsche 718 Cayman S
12 Posts
Hello Everyone! Newbie here and just purchased my third Porsche, a 2017 Cayman S in Lava Orange! Traded in a 2014 981 Cayman base in Guards Red that I loved, but was pining for an S model for a few years now and finally made it happen! Here's a pic and I'll post more in a separate thread. My first Porsche was a 1970 914 when I was a teenager, and that led me to love mid-engine cars and there is nothing better than a Porsche when it comes to that... My new one even has matching brake calipers! Couldn't be happier and just want to go drive some more!!! :p
2017 Cayman S Drivers Side.jpg
more

·
Registered
2017 Boxster 718S Graphite Blue
139 Posts
Hello Everyone! Newbie here and just purchased my third Porsche, a 2017 Cayman S in Lava Orange! Traded in a 2014 981 Cayman base in Guards Red that I loved, but was pining for an S model for a few years now and finally made it happen! Here's a pic and I'll post more in a separate thread. My first Porsche was a 1970 914 when I was a teenager, and that led me to love mid-engine cars and there is nothing better than a Porsche when it comes to that... My new one even has matching brake calipers! Couldn't be happier and just want to go drive some more!!! :p
View attachment 27890 more
Awesome drive, what’s your thoughts coming from the 981 to the “under appreciated” 718S (I came from a 987S to a 718S in April this year)....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Porsche 718 Cayman S
12 Posts
My initial impressions are that this car is MUCH quicker off the line and is definitely more responsive than the 981. My 718 S has the sport exhaust system too and to me compared to the old base 981 Cayman it's maybe not as refined but I'd say more "growlly" and "meaner". Doesn't bother me in the least as it apparently does some others... The steering feels a bit tighter too, and I just can't get enough of having the instantaneous zip at my feet that I missed out of the 981. I know the 981 base model was criticized for a lack of power, but that didn't bother me as much as the ability to step on it and instantly feel that "jolt" that I definitely get with the new turbo 4. I'd been reading lots of reviews of the new 718 S and just knew it was what I had been missing, and I'm not disappointed! I was amazed first time I opened it up a bit as it just wants to go and it's so refined... Like they say, "there is no substitute!" :cool:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Greetings and salutations! Please allow me to introduce myself, I am a man of weal.....ooops......got carried away. I am a retired Navy Pilot living (and still working) in Colorado. Huge 4X4 guy with several Jeeps in various stages of modification but tired of making my 44mi., one way, commute to work in a monster truck! Finally decided these old-ish bones could use some luxury and a little taste of excitement (other than worrying if a tire will fall off at 70mph) during my drive. Decided on the 718 Cayman to do the duty. Half of those 44 miles are through twisty mountain roads with 3,000ft of elevation change and a quarter of the remaining are flat out straights, so I will arrive at either end with a huge smile. Getting the details wrung out and will put in the order this Friday. Thank you to those that have already replied to my first two posts. You gave me some great info!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Welcome!

Don't forget winter tires! There aren't any for 20" rims. I believe the base has 18" and 19" options, but you have to do your homework (diameter/pattern/offset for rims for winter tires and matching winter tires of your choice).

There is an option for AS3 (All Season) but, personally, I wouldn't got that way...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Greetings and salutations! Please allow me to introduce myself, I am a man of weal.....ooops......got carried away. I am a retired Navy Pilot living (and still working) in Colorado. Huge 4X4 guy with several Jeeps in various stages of modification but tired of making my 44mi., one way, commute to work in a monster truck! Finally decided these old-ish bones could use some luxury and a little taste of excitement (other than worrying if a tire will fall off at 70mph) during my drive. Decided on the 718 Cayman to do the duty. Half of those 44 miles are through twisty mountain roads with 3,000ft of elevation change and a quarter of the remaining are flat out straights, so I will arrive at either end with a huge smile. Getting the details wrung out and will put in the order this Friday. Thank you to those that have already replied to my first two posts. You gave me some great info!
Hello from Canada brother, and you never need to apologize when quoting "Symathy for the Devil" 😉

Sounds like you have your share of excitement flying Navy Jets🙂

Enjoy your ride👍👌

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello from Canada brother, and you never need to apologize when quoting "Symathy for the Devil" 😉

Sounds like you have your share of excitement flying Navy Jets🙂

Enjoy your ride👍👌
Thank you! I was hoping someone would get the song! I flew Navy Helicopters. SH-60B Seahawk. Navy's version of the Blackhawk but with cooler gadgets/armament. Although I landed on them several times, never did a Carrier deployment. Always deployed on Frigates and Cruisers. Much smaller flight deck and bounce around way more than a carrier, much more difficult.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you! I was hoping someone would get the song! I flew Navy Helicopters. SH-60B Seahawk. Navy's version of the Blackhawk but with cooler gadgets/armament. Although I landed on them several times, never did a Carrier deployment. Always deployed on Frigates and Cruisers. Much smaller flight deck and bounce around way more than a carrier, much more difficult.
My daily driver is a 2013 Ford Rapter Supercrew. So I dig your hobby too👌👍😄

·
Registered
2018 718 Cayman S
5 Posts
The prior owner PPF’d the car (front half), so I was lucky in that respect.

They also threw the kitchen sink of options on the car: SPASM, PSE, SC, PTV, full leather interior (Black/Bordeaux), carbon fiber trim, Porsche entry and drive, Burmester, PDLS, 20” black Carrera S wheels Porsche crests on seats and center storage).

I’m happy they did, but I’m even happier that they ate the cost of doing so!

·
Registered
2018 718 Cayman S
5 Posts
I suppose the one downside (depending on how you look at it) is that it’s a PDK. However, I’ve never driven a better automatic transmission (certainly shifts quicker than I ever could!) and the slight bump in the 0-60 time is a small consolation prize.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Welcome @USN Onstar! There are a number of pilots of various kinds here so you should trip over one of them soon. I, too, was in the Navy, but back in the early 1970s and on a small ship, an Adams-class DDG. Many people don't understand that "up" is a relative (somewhat theoretical) term on a destroyer (unless your job is specifically to go up, like yours was).

Welcome @Invictus923! Don't worry about not having a stick, only about 1% of 718 owners do. But then I had mine built as part of a way to pay homage to my past sports cars (owned and dreamed of owning). You can imagine my shock when one of my racing heroes, Quick Vic Elford, wrote in a magazine column that he was so impressed by the PDK that he wished he could have had one during his career on the track.

·
Registered
2018 718 Cayman S
5 Posts
Thanks for the words of encouragement @JazzCatGab. I miss the three-pedal action, but I am in no way disappointed with this car (plus the PDK has the added benefit of the Mrs. being able to drive the car).

Separately, what is it about veterans and 718s? I’m a Marine Corps vet myself and couldn’t help but notice that veterans are overrepresented in this section of the comments thread. Guess there’s something about hard living that makes you want to treat yourself to a Porsche later in life... 😁

·
Registered
27 Posts
Welcome @USN Onstar! There are a number of pilots of various kinds here so you should trip over one of them soon. I, too, was in the Navy, but back in the early 1970s and on a small ship, an Adams-class DDG. Many people don't understand that "up" is a relative (somewhat theoretical) term on a destroyer (unless your job is specifically to go up, like yours was).
Thanks! I started off as a Nuke ET on a 637 class Sub....SSN 647 USS Pogy. "Up" was unique there too. Made E-5 before I made the leap to officer.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Separately, what is it about veterans and 718s? I’m a Marine Corps vet myself and couldn’t help but notice that veterans are overrepresented in this section of the comments thread. Guess there’s something about hard living that makes you want to treat yourself to a Porsche later in life... 😁
Ha! Maybe so. When you add in pilots and track rats, to me it says many 718 owners are the kind of folks that when they are in, they are all in, and when they are there, they are all there. In most military jobs, you are an integral part of a weapon or team. If you are in la-la land, someone pays a price. Same for pilots and driving on the edge at the track.
That’s my theory and nobody else's, because it’s mine!

Reactions: Invictus923

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everyone, new owner of a carmine red manual 718 cayman GTS 2.5 here. Took out of state delivery from New Jersey and drove it cross country to my home state of Oklahoma. On the way, drove through 2 national parks and the awesome TAIL OF THE DRAGON. Couldn’t have asked for a better delivery experience myself. By the time I reached oklahoma, brakes had been bedded and engine broken in (2000 miles).
After 3K miles, too it out on track to get a feel for the chassis. What an
55E615EE-C0E8-4AF3-9AE2-3EEC776FB819.jpeg
amazing car!!

I have owned faster cars. Although not the fastest car around, but definitely one of the most communicative cars around. Pics and video below. Look forward to many more fun times!!

261 - 280 of 296 Posts