Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
It’s mentioned in the manual not to do this. At a minimum, you’d be inviting mold if you kept it down long enough.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ditto. Never leave down when wet.

Even leaving the top down dry for extended periods will leave creasing marks for a while.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Never put the roof down when it is wet, it will result in marks being left on the roof that you won’t be able to remove.

·
Registered
718 Boxster - PDK
423 Posts
Depends. Is it completely soaked? If you want to put it down, I guess the conditions aren't so bad that the roof is absolutely soaking wet.
If there are a few drops on it from a very light shower, I don't mind putting it down for a short drive.
It's not like the top will get ruined if you put it down for 15 minutes with some drops on it.

If you make sure it's treated regularly with a good sealant, it won't get soaked easily.
Tire Automotive tire Liquid Cosmetics Plant

·
Super Moderator
2,213 Posts
So it rained (or you washed the roof (not recommended BTW)) and now you want to enjoy top-down motoring?
Fine. Just put it back up when you stop—long trips excluded. Remember the engine and its heat is below the folded top and will 'iron in' the creases if it dries folded.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You can use it once or twice a year. 🤣
General cleaning is ideally done with a horsehair brush.
Thank you for alerting me. I have just read the GTK -
"Do not wash the convertible top every time you
wash the vehicle. Normally, rinsing the
convertible top with clean water is sufficient."

I will stop using the cleaner each time I wash the car.

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder GT Ag
1,312 Posts
On the Miatas I’ve used a vacuum cleaner with a small, tight, but soft upholstery brush (from Miele) I guess similar idea to using a horsehair brush.

I do that before I wash the car, and then of course I only wash the paint. I use Griots interior cleaner and a horsehair brush if there are any bird stuff on the top.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK-
I won’t put the top down wet.
Shall I carry a towel in the trunk to dry my top that’s been rained on before putting it down?
Is it OK to leave the top down in my air conditioned garage where my car sits most of the time?
I appreciate all the advice and assistance.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder GT Ag
1,312 Posts
OK-
Shall I carry a towel in the trunk to dry my top that’s been rained on before putting it down?
Is it OK to leave the top down in my air conditioned garage where my car sits most of the time?
Thanks!
If it‘s not raining, and you drive around, won’t the roof dry pretty quickly? I guess it depends on the humidIty where you live.

I don’t keep soft tops open in my garage because I’d rather the fabric be exposed to air and stretched to its shape rather than folded in a confined way. It seems better for the fabric to be out and stretched most of the time, and folded in only when you’re using it.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
If it‘s not raining, and you drive around, won’t the roof dry pretty quickly? I guess it depends on the humidIty where you live.

I don’t keep soft tops open in my garage because I’d rather the fabric be exposed to air and stretched to its shape rather than folded in a confined way. It seems better for the fabric to be out and stretched most of the time, and folded in only when you’re using it.
I also believe the top fabric will last longer closed (fully stretched) when the car is garaged, although my greatest concerns in leaving modern ragtops down for extended periods of time are dust, spiders, and rodents. Dust wouldn't worry me if the car was covered, but I'd still worry about bugs and mice.

That said, I used to leave the top down (but car completely covered) on our 1960 Olds 98 Convertible for up to 5 years at a time, although every few months I'd run it halfway up and down to keep the seals from drying out. My real concern was wearing out the finicky top electronics on cars of the late 50's and early 60's. Our top mechanism never failed, perhaps because it was so rarely used. Unfortunately, there was also a downside, as the top required up to an hour of sunshiny warmth to allow it to stretch far enough to close, unless manhandled by two or more strong arms. This was the source of great frustration one day when cruising over Red Mountain Pass, as I was caught alone in a freak fall rainstorm/cool front and couldn't get the top to stretch far enough to close. Lesson learned....brrrr.

Reactions: nova996

·
Registered
259 Posts
OK-
Thanks!
Really?? I kept quiet after your first post but a person can only hold back so much. Let the top dry and then put it down, period.

·
Registered
21 Boxster GTS 4.0 - Night Blue
379 Posts
Yep, if it rains while driving I leave the top up to dry. Usually about 30 miles. i left my hardtop open, but the boxster softop I leave closed now. The smarttop helps with this too....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts