Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
I mean, really, who doesn't want a Porsche?
When I was shopping a co-worker who is an Audi fan tried to talk me into one. When I told him what I decided on his response was "A Porsche???!" Little does he know.:laugh:
On the other hand, I've never had a Ferrari catch fire. Of course I've never had a Ferrari at all.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Cross shopped manual transmission 911, BMW M3, and Subaru BRZ. Also thought about Jaguar F Type but no manual around to test drive.

Not quite cross shopped, but sold the perfectly great Macan with PDK but I wanted manual transmission.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Considered the Miata RF, but even with the hard top, it would be a convertible with a hard top and I wanted something designed as a hard top. Also, I think I'd have been happy with the horse power to weight ratio, but would have continually had the urge to turbocharge it. Also, it had too many luxury features for me because deep down, I was trying to recreate a classic sports car with limited bells and whistles. I always thought 911s where pretty but more expensive to be the "simple" sports car of my dreams. Then I drove a neighbor's 1998 Porsche Carrara convertible with a hard top. Loved the feel of the car and the acceleration, and the price was really reasonable, but it wasn't a true hard top and though it felt like the sports car for what I was dreaming, I was concerned I would need to continually tweak and work on it and that isn't possible where I live. I have a brother-in-law with a Boxster and looked up the cost of new one. Found the configurator and the Cayman. Spec'd my dream car and cruised by the local dealership to see if my fat old butt would fit in one and they had a base model with a stick on the lot. What a great test drive! It had the feel of the 911 (in my mind) and great acceleration and poise. But it was the wrong color and had lots of comfort features but shy on the performance features. We checked every available new Cayman in the U.S. (including Hawaii and Alaska) and couldn't find anything close to what I wanted. So I ordered and waited. With the sophistication of the engineering of these cars, it is somewhat oxymoronic to describe even a base Cayman as a "simple" sports car, but I believe it has the purpose, design, and je ne sais quoi of a classic sports car. I'm not going to spoil the dream with details!

·
Registered
397 Posts
M3: A freaking brute. I thought the car wanted to kill me. It was like a stock car. Felt big, really big.
2 series: same as M430 I...
M340i Xdrive: nice car with great creature comforts and electronics. Better every day car, but not a Cayman. Cayman handled so much better.
Mazda Miata: I didn't fit and after driving the Cayman it didn't hold a candle. I still ponder getting an older model some day.
718 Cayman Base: Obviously sweet but the S/GTS just had the extra punch and sound.
Purchased a 718 Cayman GTS.

·
Registered
78 Posts
M2: nice sound , love the look of the car and fun but too jumpy and cheap inside. Thought it would bounce me off the road, plus if already had an M4 so felt a step down.

FType: beautiful car, hight depreciation and no isofix (want to share the fun with my sons)

Carrera T: loved it a proper manual. Felt faster than it was and made a lovely noise. But couldn't justify the extra 15k

C63s: all about that engine and looks great but too big for what I wanted and day to day I'd never feel I could open it up. Would feel like a waste... (Had this issue with my M4)

RS3: traction, size, quality and that engine... But didn't feel special and had an A45 before (which was brilliant btw) so this felt too close.

Then I tried the 718 (base Cayman PDK, Boxter S PDK and CGTS PDK) the GTS for me had everything and felt like a truly special car although I wanted a manual so I ordered a manual without trying one (none seemed to exist over here) no regrets, the transmission makes it for me.

Car lust? The only ones I think I'd consider are the RS3 and a the Giulia QF (and a used Carrera T) may need to one day have more than just that one spare seat....

·
Registered
659 Posts
Of the cars I drove, it was the F-Type, the Grand Sport, and the CS. All around similar price points. Well, at least at the time it seemed that way - I was comparing base prices and hadn't yet gotten out of control with the infamous Porsche options list.

The F-type felt big. Made a big noise, but wasn't super special. Lack of CarPlay was a problem for me and it was uncomfortable. The Grand Sport was awesome, great V8 note, but felt SUPER big. Plus the interior quality kind of got to me. I'm a bit of a "dash stroker".

I did sit in an M2 - couldn't get the dealer to give me a test drive. This wasn't the competition. I didn't like the interior - it felt cheap.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The largest contender for my 718 was a 981 Spyder. I chose against it mainly because it's not as comfortable or useable everyday. (not realy for me, but for my missus) And the prices asked for nice examples.

One car that I would have picked over my 718 if only it had a removeable roof, was the Lotus Evora 400 with that optional race exhaust. Driver focussed, light, practical enough, acceptable tax-wise... I don't really like the styling, but that noise is priceless.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I definitely was on the edge between c63s coupe, bmw m4 CS, audi tt RS or 981 cayman GTS. Glad I chose the 718 CS! Turned out to be faster than all of them except for the tt RS.

·
Registered
87 Posts
One car that I would have picked over my 718 if only it had a removeable roof, was the Lotus Evora 400 with that optional race exhaust. Driver focussed, light, practical enough, acceptable tax-wise... I don't really like the styling, but that noise is priceless.

·
Registered
39 Posts
981 S. Almost pulled the trigger on a nice X73 equipped car, but it sold before I made my move. After watching/reading the 718 reviews, I decided to forget the previous generation and get a 718 CS. One of the best car decisions I've ever made! (ND Miata Club was the poorest decision of all time)

·
Registered
182 Posts
991.2 PDK Lightly used base model but this time last year they were still just north of £78k and I could just not justify the extra £30k that my high spec CS cost me

The cayman is a keeper so not sure I will ever get a 911 now as I think the 991.2 was the high watermark point of the 911

Still blown away by the Cayman so very happy

·
Registered
60 Posts
Cross shopped an M4 . Decided on one of each. My brother asked me if I had to get rid of one (M4 or CS ) what would it be? M4 would go ( great car but feels heavy compared to the CS). .For now I have the best of both worlds (PDK M4 n manual CS)

·
Registered
3 Posts
The only other car I was interested in was a 911 4S. I was coming out of a 911 4S and wanted to just get a newer version. I am a Porsche fanatic so there was no other option although I did beat on a couple RS3s which was real tempting.

I test drove a 718S with PDK which at first I was reluctant. That was till I got on the go pedal. The car was a rocket and felt quicker than the 911 manual I just stepped out of. For nearly 20k less it was a no brainer. It was easily twice as quick as my 997 and with all the tech goodies you would want. I am pretty happy with the purchase.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Have / will cross shop with :

BMW M2
Jaguar F-Type
C7 Corvette
GT350

Just to reenforce the fact I want a Cayman
Interesting list of cars with widely different personalities. I looked at all four, but decided to not get manual trans. After that I would only consider a DCT so it narrowed my list. If you are truly open to either auto (DCT or TC) or manual it will be fun to follow your journey. Does it bother you that C7 is about to be replaced and F-Type days appear to be numbered? What is your budget?

·
Registered
172 Posts
No cross shopping. I wanted a Boxster for about 20 years. The BMW Z3/Z4/M3 was my go to for a long time but BMW lost their way in recent years and the 2nd gen Z4 was obese with no manual transmission and the new 3rd gen has Toyota DNA in it and also no manual transmission. So finally just went out and bought what I always wanted without any thought at all of an alternative. The Toyota partnership, by itself, scared me away. Although I think Toyota/Lexus products are one of the most refined/reliable products out there, they are also lethally boring, IMO.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Interesting list of cars with widely different personalities. I looked at all four, but decided to not get manual trans. After that I would only consider a DCT so it narrowed my list. If you are truly open to either auto (DCT or TC) or manual it will be fun to follow your journey. Does it bother you that C7 is about to be replaced and F-Type days appear to be numbered? What is your budget?
Open to DCT or manual .
The budget is about $65 +/- .
Pre-owned is probably the way I am going .
I think the C8 Corvette is going to have some issues for the next couple of years , given the issues reported already.

The F-type is a bit of a wild card , I track my car , and have never seen an F-type on the track but have seen all of the above. I am not to sure about their quirks on the track.

·
Registered
43 Posts
F-Type
Lotus Evora (a couple of years old)
911 (a couple of years old)
Alpha 4c
M2
M4

Super glad I went with the 718.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts