Porsche 718 Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
After I sold my E92 335i last year and was cross shop between the FK8 Civic Type R, M2 comp & 997.2 S. When I throw the idea about the type R, my wife throw me a face that she dun want to see the type R and me within 10 miles of her view... So then I went to BMW dealer and ask to test drive M2 & M4 (M2 not even start any production) but all BMW dealer just told me to put down the deposit and wait for 1 yr then I can test drive it when the car arrive. So went to Porsche to check out some 997.2 but all MT are gone like hotcake and their price is just as high as order a brand new 718 S so the dealer offer us to test drive the 718 S. After test drove it, I place an order for a guard red CGTS 6MT. Now I have the Porsche for a year and loving it every moment. However, after drove my friend's typeR, I know what I really want is that screening VTEC. So I am going to order the 2020 typeR and just leave the 718 key to my wife.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had a 2015 M3 that was giving me some trouble after a collision that it never really got repaired correctly from. So I started looking. I have 1 small parking spot so it had to be a 'do everything' car that could also hold up to 10 or so track events a year. Originally wanted to move to a 911 S, but specced how I wanted was going to be out of budget (< $100k). Test drove the following:

911 Base - Awesome to drive, still prefer the look over the Cayman, but I knew I'd have to compromise on too many options to make the price work.
F-Type - Looked cool, sounded cool but heavy and no storage space. Wouldn't work for road trips and track days with luggage and tools.
Miata RF - Was curious what spending half the money would get me. Too slow, felt flimsy compared to the M3 and Porsche as well
V8 Vantage GT - Loved the look and sound, rarity. But ultimately the consumables would have killed me for track use. Was getting a super deal, right around $100k.
Lotus Evora 400 - Emotionally this was the perfect car. The brakes, steering, looks, and sound were amazing. Also super rare. But as an only car would not have been good to pile miles and track days on as dealer network and parts availability pales in comparison to Porsche. Still the only car that appeals to me over the Porsche.
CPO 981 Cayman S/GTS - All the whinging about sound had me thinking I should check it out. After coming from the M3 it felt too slow and lacking torque. 718 was the only Cayman that felt fast enough, and the bigger brakes sealed the deal.
718 Cayman S - The winner, especially at almost 15% off MSRP. Great to drive, great ergonomics, tons of storage, great for putting lots of miles on.

Also considered:

M3 Competition - Couldn't stomach eating depreciation on the same car twice, though it was probably one of the most well rounded options for my needs.
Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio - I had been following this car closely as they had announced it was going to come with a manual. Then last minute it was auto only and it was out for me. I still went and checked it out, looks and sounds great but auto box is a no go. Plus track reliability was questionable.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Mid-engine dream car. I might have considered a Boxster. Nah. No cross-shopping

·
Registered
8 Posts
After test driving a new 911 GTS 4S Cabriolet, Mercedes GLC 63S Cabriolet, Corvette GS, Audi TT RS, the new 2019 718 Boxster GTS was the winner. I purchased it because of its compact dimension, solid structure, unbelievable handling and more than enough power. It is a true sports car that is also very comfortable!

·
Super Moderator
1,083 Posts
After test driving a new 911 GTS 4S Cabriolet, Mercedes GLC 63S Cabriolet, Corvette GS, Audi TT RS, the new 2019 718 Boxster GTS was the winner. I purchased it because of its compact dimension, solid structure, unbelievable handling and more than enough power. It is a true sports car that is also very comfortable!
I walked away from a Carrera 4S to buy the Cayman S. Same price, same mileage, no CPO (for the Carrera). Too lazy until 4k RPM.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The only other vehicle I strongly considered was the Evora but because of its extremely thin dealer network and sketchy dependability reputation I didn't get to the point of seriously considering it.

I looked into the C8 and C4 but didn't really go farther than that because of the C8's size, weight, and too super carish looks. I couldn't get past the C4's looks, tiny engine, and being an Alfa.

If Chevy made a baby Corvette they'd have a buyer here since for me the Porsche's price, "status", and replacement parts costs are turn offs. I don't need fancy quality, just a good light mid-engine car that won't fall apart (or look embarrassing). Too bad there isn't a modern Toyota MR2 hardtop.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just recently picked up a GTS, coming from 600 hp RS3 . Cross shopped / test drove:

M2 comp
Giulia
4C
Evora
997 turbo

718 GTS is just at another level as an entire package. My RS3 was a Rollercoaster ride for sure and acceleration was fun. But wanted something more fun on the street that I can manage to drive. The RS3 was literally 2 second rush and then jail speed, so it was kinda pointless.

The M2 was the closest thing I would've considered. But in the end, the cayman was just visceral, direct, and not soft as my RS3 or the M2.

997 turbo had old school powervand so again not really for the street.

4C belongs at the gocart track. 3 cars almost hit me during my 5 minute test drive because they couldn't see me.

Giulia while fun, felt cheap inside and we all know about the lack of reliability.

Evora actually didn't get to test drive but couldn't get over the lack of dealer / service network.

I always thought Porsches were overpriced but after I test drove one, I finally understood.

I recently took the center console apart (numeric shifter) and was amazed with the level of refinement on how everything was put together.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had made the decision to purchase a Cayman in August 2019 and had two choices. Build a GTS with nav, PASM suspension, chrono, PDK in midnight blue and was told the vehicle wouldn't arrive until mid-January 2020. A non-starter as I needed a business car tax write off! I shopped and found a new 2019 Cayman S with sufficient add-ons with the exception of the PASM. I am not disappointed. The vehicle is is the perfect balance of pure aesthetic design, performance and its a joy to drive. Frankly, there are so fewer 718s on the road compared to the 911, onlookers are much more impressed by the Caymans unique look and I have no issues with the T4 sound, it's a fantastic power plant in sport + mode. I raced an M4 on a twisty course and passd my buddy on nearly every curve. Needless to say he caught up and passed me on the straights. Very satisfied.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Z4, C43, and C8. I briefly thought about the Supra and even though it’s almost an exact copy of the Z4, I just couldn’t justify spending that much for a Toyota. Especially with the markups, they’re out of their minds haha.

The Z4 was my backup, in case I couldn’t find a 718 that I liked, or if the deal that I was working on fell through. I realized that I didn’t really need a convertible. While it would be nice on occasion, this car would be my daily commuter, so it wouldn’t be used as much.

As for the C43, I was coming from a C300, I really just wanted to have something different.

The C8 corvette seems too flashy for work. I’ve never seen one in person, but I just haven’t had a good experience with GM products. The plastic bits and pieces from rental cars always appeared cheap, ruining the brand for me. I know the C8 would be much nicer, but I guess it’s just personal bias.

Also when I test drove a 718, I was hooked.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts