Porsche 718 Forum banner

What Did You Do To Your Porsche 718 Boxster/Cayman Today?

432390 Views 3688 Replies 353 Participants Last post by  anderson930
Share what you did to your 718 Boxster/Cayman with the community!

Example: I took her out of the garage and gave her a nice bath and followed up with a coat of wax.

Example: Finally got my window tints done, now I can't open my windows for a week

Example: Installed the Tubi exhaust rear section, now looking for a tune.

Anything goes....
741 - 760 of 3689 Posts
Let me back track a little bit, because you are confusing me.

I was under the impression that 'power shift' is a 'no clutch shift'. You disengage the gear with no clutch depressed and then adjust the RPM in the very narrow range that it will shift into the new gear without depressing the clutch. In the olden days, the racing cars had straight cut gears (and IIRR no synchromesh) and a good racing driver could do it all day long. The rest double clutched...

'No lift shift' is a shift that you don't worry about synchronizing the engine RPM via the throttle, because the electronically controlled throttle is programmed to do this (rev-matching, more popular when down-shifting).

These are two different things and you need a MT to do this.

I don't know what you call a 'power shift(no lift-shift)' in a PDK, clearly,

1) if you accept the definition of 'power shift' above, you don't do that, because for one upshift/downshift you engage the other gear shaft, and clutches galore!...

2) If you do the 'no lift shift' in the PDK, what is the big deal? The PDK does a no lift shift at any RPM, autoPDK or manualPDK. That's what it does! Seriously, in normal driving, do you lift your foot in every upshift?:eek: If you do, we need to talk! Seriously.
A little off topic here, but a friend of mine picked up a Camaro SS with the A6 trans. He took me for a ride and was shifting via the paddles and let off at every shift from full throttle. I wanted to take the keys away from him. ?

Agree on the differences between Power Shift and No Lift Shift.
Okay I finally read all the back and forth... I'm more confused now? Was much happier being ignorant of what ya'll were discussing!

With that I'll leave a tidbit.

There is no way you could "NO LIFT" shift Down to a lower gear safely. These cars do NOT have rev protection with engine deceleration. The PDK trans will just reject any unsafe shift where the manual has the A$$ behind the wheel determining outcome.

This is why everyone checks the OVER REV status on manual cars. You can sit with your foot on the throttle all day and it will not over rev, but with a manual if you shift into too low of a gear... BOOM goes the valvetrain due to over rev down shift.

Sure there are circumstances that at low speed or you are in to high of a gear luging along you won't be going too low in a gear, but if you are NO LIFT shifting you had best be wringing the pi$$ out of that mother.
Okay I finally read all the back and forth... I'm more confused now? Was much happier being ignorant of what ya'll were discussing!

With that I'll leave a tidbit.

There is no way you could "NO LIFT" shift Down to a lower gear safely. These cars do NOT have rev protection with engine deceleration. The PDK trans will just reject any unsafe shift where the manual has the A$$ behind the wheel determining outcome.

This is why everyone checks the OVER REV status on manual cars. You can sit with your foot on the throttle all day and it will not over rev, but with a manual if you shift into too low of a gear... BOOM goes the valvetrain due to over rev down shift.

Sure there are circumstances that at low speed or you are in to high of a gear luging along you won't be going too low in a gear, but if you are NO LIFT shifting you had best be wringing the pi$$ out of that mother.
The discussion somewhere along the way is about no lift up-shifting. My belief, and I won't try it to find out, is that the 718 does not have it. You won't grenade the engine if you try it since the rev limiter will cut in but I also expect the computer will not rev match in this situation.
MOO
The discussion somewhere along the way is about no lift up-shifting. My belief, and I won't try it to find out, is that the 718 does not have it. You won't grenade the engine if you try it since the rev limiter will cut in but I also expect the computer will not rev match in this situation.
MOO
agreed... somewhere it came up about no lift down shift.
Or was that power shift or no lift power shift or power lift-n-shift or revmatch power shift & lift....

Upshift you will hit the limiter and have that electronic protection.
Downshift you have no limiter as engine deceleration can exceed the built in rev limiter creating a MECHANICAL OVER REV that the electronic system can not prevent... but does record!
Pardon the brief interruption for a post aligned with this thread's topic. :) I picked up my CGTS last night after getting the paint ceramic coated and having the windows tinted. The shop (Premiere Window Tinting in Reno) did an excellent job! The car came with a PPF on the nose that was very slightly turning yellow already. I couldn't see it in the pictures the dealership sent me, but @Viffermike saw it when he checked out the car in person for me, and I could see it in person as well. My shop said there was just some contamination and they were able to make it virtually invisible. Again, I'm really impressed with the job they did.
See less See more
Reactions: 5
Pardon the brief interruption for a post aligned with this thread's topic. :) I picked up my CGTS last night after getting the paint ceramic coated and having the windows tinted. The shop (Premiere Window Tinting in Reno) did an excellent job! The car came with a PPF on the nose that was very slightly turning yellow already. I couldn't see it in the pictures the dealership sent me, but @Viffermike saw it when he checked out the car in person for me, and I could see it in person as well. My shop said there was just some contamination and they were able to make it virtually invisible. Again, I'm really impressed with the job they did.
Looks great... In fact it looks just like my Father In Laws that just had full PPF and Modesta coating applied too. The white cars don't look dirty, until you clean them and see just how dirty they really were!

Again, your car looks great and Congrats!
See less See more
Reactions: 4
There is no way you could "NO LIFT" shift Down to a lower gear safely. . . if you are NO LIFT shifting you had best be wringing the pi$$ out of that mother.
Hoosier

Why would you no-lift-downshift? You indicated it might have some value if you are lugging the engine, but the question then becomes why would you lug your engine? As far as wringing the p*ss out of your engine . . . well, you and I are on the same page with that :)

Regarding recent comments by others . . .

As far as any confusion about the term 'power shifting,' I did not coin the term, nor various connotations. In fact, I simply tried to be clear by defining how the term is commonly used, and the definition I would be applying in discussion at hand. So, once again, the no-lift-shift equates to clutch use to shift without release of the throttle.

As I also stated from the outset, I have experience and interest in auto-mechanics, but admit no special expertise. I have been more than interested in discussion, and have presented reasoning to the best of my ability to support my view that 718 is capable of safe no-lift-shifting . . . as well as my willingness to learn and accept I am wrong if anyone can provide statement or evidence from Porsche to the contrary.

I tried to find a reasonable video on the topic, and came across the video below. I do not know the guy in the video below, and do not follow his channel. That being stated, I thought he does an excellent job in simplifying the topic at hand . . . he has 2.5 million subscribers and the video has 600K hits, so it seems more than a few people are interested and trust what he has to state.

AVM

See less See more
Reactions: 1
Sorry if my post was confusing, I in no way or terms would suggest or do that. There is never IMO a time it would be needed or appropriate. I was stating “for the Internet” and “but what if people” that yes it could be done with out harm if you were always in low RPM’s.
Honestly I can’t believe this is even a discussion that’s going on! I don’t mean our convo here and now, but the whole thing in general... it’s just absurd that one can’t understand a mechanical over rev can not be stopped with fuel or ignition cut off. Absurd I tell you.

sometimes (most times) I know the answer but struggle to convey it in written word.
Honestly I can’t believe this is even a discussion that’s going on! I don’t mean our convo here and now, but the whole thing in general . . .
Hoosier

I understand your question in the sense that if a MT is equipped to safely no-lift-shift, that simply means it will override your throttle input . . . so why would anyone do it?

My answer would be if you do not lift your foot off the throttle, then when the shift does occur - and to wherever the computer drops the RPMs - you will get a more instant throttle response from THAT point if you maintain throttle intensity the entire time. Precisely why I do it routinely in PDK manual mode. . . and why I believe it would be advantageous with a true MT.

In the bigger picture as to how or why this topic even came about . . . if my recollection serves me, I believe it relates to the video about the GT3 having no-lift-shift capabilities. So, perhaps your question is why did Porsche even offer this capability in the GT3? I provided advantage in my personal driving routine above, which may or may not apply to your driving routine. No problem, as we all enjoy our vehicles in different ways.

Since I do not own a 718 MT the topic is not really relevant to me at this moment, but I am simply very interested in confirming whether the 718 MT has the same capabilities as the GT3 to safely no-lift-shift?

AVM
See less See more
My answer would be if you do not lift your foot off the throttle, then when the shift does occur - and to wherever the computer drops the RPMs - you will get a more instant throttle response from THAT point if you maintain throttle intensity the entire time. Precisely why I do it routinely in PDK manual mode. . . and why I believe it would be advantageous with a true MT.
PDK is another beast, there is literally (if one so desires) no NEED to lift off the accelerator ever, other than braking or slowing! I’m mean you’ll surly sound like a Hoonigan driving but it is possible with a PDK.

I get what you are saying... and for performance driving with a MT on upshifts it makes complete sense. I’ve only been referring to (thought may not have mentioned) cars with a MT. Down shifting a MT with a NoLift shift is simply a very bad idea with absolutely zero to gain.

In the bigger picture as to how or why this topic even came about . . . if my recollection serves me, I believe it relates to the video about the GT3 having no-lift-shift capabilities. So, perhaps your question is why did Porsche even offer this capability in the GT3?
It is offered on that car because it is, by all accounts a "Race" car. Redline on that thing is insane and the engine and trans are not on the same level as a 718. The reason there is such a massive gap in price is in the details.
I provided advantage in my personal driving routine above, which may or may not apply to your driving routine. No problem, as we all enjoy our vehicles in different ways.
Again I'm sorry I've not made it clear, referencing you or your driving style is not and has not been reason for my dive into this topic. I'm pointing out that there is little to no chance there's a "NoLift DOWN SHIFT" feature on these cars equipped with a MT. The reason is because of mechanical over rev situations beyond the safety net of electronics.

On the MT as I've been referencing.... A NoLift upshift? **** yea, Let'r Rip Tater Chip! <<< Cletus quote!
See less See more
You know what I hate about forums... I think were all trying to say the same things, but written word and the human brain nets different results for everyone! I wish we were all on a party line (only us older people with get that reference) and removed the interpretation.
I'd like to keep this topic of the No Lift Shifting going but feel it's way off topic here. I've created a new thread where it and other questions, thoughts, ideas and suggestions can be easily found. MT vs PDK - Shifting styles, differences, tips and tricks.
Reactions: 3
Went to the gym in it. Used the paddles on the way back. Hit 6K rpm in both 1 and 2. Exceeded local limits by a fair amount. I was betting that the constables were having coffee and pastries. It does sound good up there if you can concentrate on that sort of thing while zipping along...
Went to the gym in it. Used the paddles on the way back. Hit 6K rpm in both 1 and 2. Exceeded local limits by a fair amount. I was betting that the constables were having coffee and pastries. It does sound good up there if you can concentrate on that sort of thing while zipping along...
MLJJ

I understand many, perhaps even most, do not have access to local roadways that allows them to flip it into PDK manual mode . . . wring it out to 4-6+K . . . and live in 2nd or 3rd gear where you are already exceeding freeway speed limits.

Really unfortunate if such is not feasible, but nothing better when possible.

I have mentioned my 718 has an acceptable soundtrack when wrung out, but TRY to avoid the topic on this forum because it is a sensitive spot. I am all over the 718 GTS 4.0 when released in PDK. Yes, the soundtrack is part of it, but not all of it.

Glad you had the opportunity to wring out your 718 . . . nothing better!

AVM
MLJJ

but TRY to avoid the topic on this forum because it is a sensitive spot. I am all over the 718 GTS 4.0 when released in PDK. Yes, the soundtrack is part of it, but not all of it.
AVM
Maybe for some, but the T4 sounds fine to me. And yes, it is a small part of my pleasure with this car. Those sensitive folks can ignore. I'm sure you'll be happy with the 4.0 when/if it is released.
Yesterday was the 1 year anniversary of obtaining my 2019 CS. Every time I have the opportunity to drive it, I have a smile on my face. I have recently been playing with the manual mode of the PDK since I have read so much about the joys of it on this forum. I have to agree, it is FUN!

I am unlike many of you here in that my husband has not driven my car. He's waiting until I get my first ding LOL, and he's a Jeep guy. We did go for a little drive yesterday to celebrate the anniversary. The goal was to get 5000 miles on the car. Sucess!
See less See more
Too funny. My wife won't drive ours until I get the first ding. Seems you are enjoying it until that happens. Hopefully, you'll get to drive it once he has experienced it!
Out for breakfast on a very wet and windy English day, happened to be near my old boarding school so thought it rude not to stop and grab a quick pic of the car and building. A mere 60 miles covered today, but loved every minute.

See less See more
Out of milk. So, today we went for a drive in the snow. Unplowed at 2-3 inches brings excitement with every corner. While cruising up one hill at 45 MPH the rear end began to chase the front. Steady throttle and PSM kept us fairly straight.
See less See more
Out of milk. So, today we went for a drive in the snow. Unplowed at 2-3 inches brings excitement with every corner. While cruising up one hill at 45 MPH the rear end began to chase the front. Steady throttle and PSM kept us fairly straight.
View attachment 25474
you running all season tires or do you make the switch to a winter tire?
741 - 760 of 3689 Posts