Porsche 718 Forum banner

781 - 800 of 829 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Swapped out my pedals for the aluminium set today.... what do you think?
Your car has a bright interior so they work well. Just curious about one thing though. Your name on posts is displayed with a British flag. So (duh) surely you experience rain every so often. Have you ever felt pedals like that to be slippery when the soles of your shoes are wet?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Your car has a bright interior so they work well. Just curious about one thing though. Your name on posts is displayed with a British flag. So (duh) surely you experience rain every so often. Have you ever felt pedals like that to be slippery when the soles of your shoes are wet?
hahaha... I'm a Brit but I live in the Mediterranean (on the island of Mallorca, Spain), its just because I sometimes connect via VPN that my IP appears like I'm in the UK. Luckily we have about 315 days of sunshine on average here so that's not much of an issue. Having said that I'm impressed with the non-slip surface these pedals have so I doubt it would be an issue even in a wet climate.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think they look good, but slippery, how do they feel to use?
I did some research before buying them as I had the same doubt, but the feedback from other users (same pedals are available on the 911) was that this wasn’t an issue and as far I can tell from today’s use in dry conditions they certainly feel just as ‘secure’ as the standard pedals. The raised section of the pedals have a rough surface which aids traction. If anything, they may even offer greater traction as a result. Personally I’d recommend them... perhaps not very logical from a cost perspective but then few things with Porsche tend to be purely ‘logical’ : )

·
Registered
873 Posts
It's been really quiet here. I didn't drive to work yesterday, won't be doing so for a while. Did drive some on Sunday. This morning it snowed a little and the current weather is a miserable 34F with drizzle. Not conducive of any fun trip even to an isolated location.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Well it's wasn't today, but I did go for a nice out and back on Sunday. This is at a little roadside cafe' in Ligonier PA, about an hour from where I am in Pittsburgh. Some really nice driving roads in that area. I still can't believe how fast everyone drives here and well beyond the speed limit lol But hey, I'm ok with it. I can have some fun cranking the gears and still look like the slow guy just in case there's roadside ticket taker ;)

·
Registered
421 Posts
It was a beautiful day here today as well, easily warm enough to go topless for a drive in any Boxster, 'if' I had one... :(

·
Registered
299 Posts
Well it's wasn't today, but I did go for a nice out and back on Sunday. This is at a little roadside cafe' in Ligonier PA, about an hour from where I am in Pittsburgh. Some really nice driving roads in that area...
That area is beautiful year round and the roads are tremendously engaging although, snow dampens my enthusiasm and brings out the white knuckles.

Learned how to drive in warm/hot Houston Texas. Two years later my parents were transferred to Pittsburgh. First time home on Christmas break (1974) I drove Mom’s ‘74 Chevrolet Kingswood Estate Wagon on a ski trip to Seven Springs.

Promised Mom I’d let my brother-in-law take over in the event of snow. It did...I didn’t...and that whale bobsleded over a 20’ vertical drop at 2 mph.

No injuries, no (visible) damage, not even a bumper scratch. I never grew comfortable driving on snow & ice, even after years of commuting in Denver, Salt Lake City, or Tulsa. And Mom never understood why the wagon’s right front tire had to be replaced annually over the next decade.

Regardless, the western Pennsylvania and West Virgina region remains one of my favorite driving destinations...without snow.😁

·
Registered
711 Posts
That area is nice and the roads are great for driving. I think they're better than the roads here closer to Pittsburgh.

I can appreciate the lack of desire to be driving on cold, frozen, snow covered roads vs nice warm flat-paved roads ;) But when it does get messy, I drive the 1500 :) I have to say, the Winters here the last three years have been more mild with much less snow than back in NYC. Sure we had a cold snap or two, but really, the Winters have been much better here from my perspective.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Just put two dozen disposable non-medical grade neoprene gloves in the frunk. They are mostly for cleaning bicycle drivetrains and disposing of the occasional kamikaze mouse (they don't use airplanes, but they do seem to enjoy diving into traps in the garage).

I placed the disposable gloves in our BS and other vehicles on the advice of a close friend's RN daughter, who is currently caring for several Coronavirus patients in a Florida Hospital. She said it is suspected that one of her patients contracted the virus from direct contact with a gas pump handle. Of course, there is no definitive proof. Regardless, this did provide an excellent reason on this miserably cold and rainy day to interact with my shiny Sapphire Blue Metallic baby girl. ;)

Please be vigilant my friends...everywhere!
IMG_2482.jpg

·
Registered
559 Posts
Find somewhere to donate the rest of you gloves. They probably need it more than you do. Use alcohol based hand sanitizer instead. I did.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Find somewhere to donate the rest of you gloves. They probably need it more than you do. Use alcohol based hand sanitizer instead. I did.
Great idea and one we can certainly do after replenishing our hand sanitizer supply. My wife has a small bottle she carry's in her purse, mine's been empty for a couple days now.

Unfortunately, our local shops were sold out by the time we realized we were low. Made the trip into San Antonio yesterday and found zero hand sanitizer and sanitizing wipes at Costco, Wally World, Target, and the two grocery stores I visited. And, none of the stores would commit to resupply time frames. Aside from filling the Suburban at Costco ($1.65/gal) and stocking up on wine, it was a fairly unproductive trip.

·
Registered
873 Posts
It is a bummer that hand sanitizers became scare so quickly. But good move on the gloves. Maybe keep some, donate some if you know where. Maybe carry a squeeze bottle of water and a bar of soap.

·
Registered
873 Posts
They are mostly for cleaning bicycle drivetrains
Off-topic: What sort of bicycle(s)? I think you might have mentioned that before.

I ask only because I have a few, well actually eleven, vintage bikes, all steel frames, mostly 2x6 gearing, most with skinny sew-up tires, and all feeling very fast, or as fast as I can make them go.

·
Registered
299 Posts
No real vintage bikes, unless you consider my 18 year-old "carbon fiber" Scattante C-FR or 15 year-old aluminum 26" Santa Cruz Blur II vintage bikes. The other MTBs are a 12 year old 26" Scott Spark 10 (2x10) and my current go to, a 2015 Scott SL900 29er. The other road bikes are a 2012 Look 586 and 2016 Scott Team Addict.

There's also a Look 585 (my all time favorite frame) that just hangs from the ceiling as a constant reminder of the inherent danger constantly lurking within every peloton. Unfortunately, it's out of commission with a silver dollar sized hole in the downtube after a 2011 30+ rider pileup.

Regardless, old or (relatively) new, they're all much faster than I am these days, just like the BS :rolleyes:.

You must have some really interesting vintage bikes and I'd love to see them some day. I admire your ability/flexibility to ride steel, as my body barely survives cushy carbon fiber frames these days.

·
Registered
559 Posts
As you all probably know o_O most hard liquor contains more than 60% alcohol. Might be a bit pricey for wiping things down, but you can enjoy it while you clean up. Use sparingly on surfaces and more liberally elsewhere. Be safe.

781 - 800 of 829 Posts