Porsche 718 Forum banner

1261 - 1269 of 1269 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Today I swapped out the 20" PS4S wheels and tires for the 19" Michelin Alpin winter set. My sweetie insists on taking pics.

Ready?

Gotta break that flange free. A little more light helps too.

Here we go...

How do the guys on TV manage to swap tires so fast? I figure I lost about 93 laps during this pit stop. I blame it on those big tires being so dadgummed heavy. Of course, I would have lost much less time if I hadn't waited until doing this wheel before noticing the Alpins are directional. I had already put both right side tires on the left side..:oops: That cost me a drive-through penalty.

·
Registered
282 Posts
What do you use the grease gun for, haven’t seen a grease nipple in years

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
What do you use the grease gun for, haven’t seen a grease nipple in years
I figured someone would ask. I used to use it on the trunnions, steering rack, and rear wheel bearings on my GT6 and Spitfire. Also to slick down my hair so it wouldn't get caught in the wheel spokes. But since I no longer have any, um, GT6 or Spitfire it serves another purpose now.

I dab a little grease off the gun with the tip of a screwdriver and smear it lightly on the three wheel mounting flanges. They get pretty grungy. If they get grungy enough it's hard to remove the wheel. I probably should use some sort of anti-seize moly grease but I don't have any and that grease cartridge isn't empty yet.

Swapping wheels in my driveway is an exercise in multi-use. My hydraulic mini-jack which would fit under the GT6 won't fit under the Cayman. So I drive the Cayman up onto the steel base of an old-style mic stand to gain clearance. I slide the shaft of the mic stand over my breaker bar for leverage to loosen the bolts, though the 120 lb-ft torque spec isn't as hard to remove as whatever it was when the place that sold me the tires set them to with their pneumatic impulse nuclear jackhammer. (I think the syntax of that sentence is correct but don't hold me to it and I will not swear to it in court.) All that remains is to lift those 300lb wheels into place and dial 119 lb-ft into the torque wrench.

·
Registered
512 Posts

Longhorn PCA DE Track Day at Harris Hill Raceway on Saturday. Pic taken after receiving upgrade to Intermediate from novice. There’s no hiding my stupid mistakes now 😬

1261 - 1269 of 1269 Posts