Porsche 718 Forum banner

Did you get an allocation in the last 2 months?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning!
Thought I'd start this discussion concerning allotments. I am curious to hear what people's experiences are. Aside from being frustrated, I am having problems figuring out what is going on with Porsche in the U.S.?

I sent Porsche U.S.A. an email and asked them and they just answered with the usual cheerful nonsense - '...dealers know best, good luck, and thanks for being a loyal customer' - not that I really expected anything else, but thought I'd give them a little to think about, like hear from your customers.

I'd guess that many of us are like me and in contact (and on their lists) with multiple dealers/SA's in their state. I have gotten the following feedback/statements over the last month concerning availability. The responses (via email, text, and in person) range from

• we should hear something soon at beginning of September (that was a 1 1/2 mths ago) ... to
  • we have nothing in allocations and haven't heard anything from Porsche (end of August) ....to
  • I expect to have an allocation for you next week (ditto as above).
  • we do not have any new information from Porsche, ... with the chip shortage, information is a little thin

In other words, it's all across the page!
.... and they do not know?

Would love to hear what people are experiencing or is this just me?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I think it will be all over the place for a while. I'm also on a list now for a GT3T, and it's the same thing. I think you have a lot of factors right now:
  • Uncertainty in Germany and with the supplier network
  • Maybe some negotiations or uncertainty even between PCNA and Germany (competing with demand from EU, China)
  • Some opacity there between PCNA and dealers (especially smaller ones, it seems)
  • Definite opacity between the sales managers and the SA's for sure
  • Definite opacity between dealers and us
So yeah, I would be shocked if any of this was clear. It's like looking at something through 5 panes of dirty or shattered glass.

I got a commission that was available to modify. How does that even make sense? Why was that not given to someone on the "list". But mine was advertised as Sept build, but it's really October. Others are randomly getting actual Sept builds. There was a dealer on YouTube last night trying to find a buyer for a Dec 992S build, when all 3 of my local dealers said no chance on that for me.

And of course you have people in California and NY/NJ/CT who have a totally different experience than the rest of us in the 46 other American states.

It's just crazy and totally inefficient.

Reactions: Moin66

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Now on three allocation lists, but talked with >40 dealerships over the past 12 weeks. The overall sense I got was Porsche’s communication with their US dealers has been terribly poor, resulting in an information vacuum, which IMHO has led to much speculation. I can’t really blame the SA’s for any misinformation, although some have been more creative than others. Sometimes I feel like a mushroom. Regardless, the wait continues 🥺.

• Love

·
Registered
9 Posts
In California I found it pretty easy to find allocations by calling up just a few dealers, at least for base/t/s models. First dealer I called in Florida also has an allocation right away. I’m doing PEC so I’m not particular about where the dealer is located.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now on three allocation lists, but talked with >40 dealerships over the past 12 weeks. The overall sense I got was Porsche’s communication with their US dealers has been terribly poor, resulting in an information vacuum, which IMHO has led to much speculation. I can’t really blame the SA’s for any misinformation, although some have been more creative than others. Sometimes I feel like a mushroom. Regardless, the wait continues 🥺.
Yep, that about describes it - mushroom sitting in the dark :rolleyes:

·
Registered
52 Posts
In California I found it pretty easy to find allocations by calling up just a few dealers, at least for base/t/s models. First dealer I called in Florida also has an allocation right away. I’m doing PEC so I’m not particular about where the dealer is located.
How long does it take to get a car once you have an allocation? I was told up to 12 months.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
My Spyder got delayed 3 weeks along with a few others on RL

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How long does it take to get a car once you have an allocation? I was told up to 12 months.
Was told that it varies by model, i.e. base versus GTS etc. Could be up to 6 month, which is the max I've heard.

Reactions: pdf72

·
Registered
14 Posts
I received my allocation for my Boxster on 7/21/21 for a 12/24/21 completion date. I don't mind waiting as I'm hoping I'll get a fully completed vehicle sometime in the Spring, 2022.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I received my allocation for my Boxster on 7/21/21 for a 12/24/21 completion date. I don't mind waiting as I'm hoping I'll get a fully completed vehicle sometime in the Spring, 2022.
yeah, at this point if my car gets delayed another 8-10 weeks, That’s better for me given winter.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
BTW, just FYI, - if you are interested, there is a new shark blue Boxter GTS available at Porsche El Paso. Noticed that there are a whole bunch of new ones out there.

·
Registered
2018 BOXSTER BASE PDK. 2018 MACAN S
69 Posts
I think it will be all over the place for a while. I'm also on a list now for a GT3T, and it's the same thing. I think you have a lot of factors right now:
  • Uncertainty in Germany and with the supplier network
  • Maybe some negotiations or uncertainty even between PCNA and Germany (competing with demand from EU, China)
  • Some opacity there between PCNA and dealers (especially smaller ones, it seems)
  • Definite opacity between the sales managers and the SA's for sure
  • Definite opacity between dealers and us
So yeah, I would be shocked if any of this was clear. It's like looking at something through 5 panes of dirty or shattered glass.

I got a commission that was available to modify. How does that even make sense? Why was that not given to someone on the "list". But mine was advertised as Sept build, but it's really October. Others are randomly getting actual Sept builds. There was a dealer on YouTube last night trying to find a buyer for a Dec 992S build, when all 3 of my local dealers said no chance on that for me.

And of course you have people in California and NY/NJ/CT who have a totally different experience than the rest of us in the 46 other American states.

It's just crazy and totally inefficient.
The manufacturers do not know themselves when they get and what they will be getting until it’s in the wear house
And then as many chips are interchangeable with different cars they have to decide in what cars to put them in.
No different then an e bike or iPhone.
End of report😄

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got feedback from a couple of SA's at opposite ends of the country concerning the scarcity of GTS allocations.

This is supposedly due to Porsche having problems with flawed connection rods in the engine, which caused Porsche to put a sales hold and issue recalls on vehicles in the U.S., as rod failure will cause the engine to go kaputt.

I did a little rooting around and found that this was an issue in early April, so I am not sure if this is still ongoing? I pinged Nick Murray today (the YouTuber) and he pointed to this as the main limiting issue.

Has anybody heard whether or not this problem is still ongoing and thus causing the dearth in GTS availability in the U.S.?

Below a link to one of the magazines reporting on this in April.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
There may be some impact still from manufacturing all those replacement engines, but i would doubt it. It’s September.

Maybe they were conservative on 3Q allocations to account for the extra engines.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts