Porsche 718 Forum banner

Did you get an allocation in the last 2 months?

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

Registered
There may be some impact still from manufacturing all those replacement engines, but i would doubt it. It鈥檚 September.

Maybe they were conservative on 3Q allocations to account for the extra engines.
Perhaps.

Or鈥︷煠斺s it possible the 4.0 has a fatal flaw and Porsche is trying to limit exposure until their engineers solve the problem.

Then again, it could be a lack of chips, or higher volume products taking precedence, or some other random undisclosed issue(s) that we may never know. Regardless, It鈥檚 beginning to give me a case of the willies.

Reactions: Moin66

Premium Member
All i know is that at my dealer on Long Island, NY, if i order next week or last week, I do not see anything until about March 2022. That's a long freakin time away from now. That is like seven months.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
There may be some impact still from manufacturing all those replacement engines, but i would doubt it. It鈥檚 September.

Maybe they were conservative on 3Q allocations to account for the extra engines.
Agree! Am a little doubtful myself on such a long lingering effect. Now, did it back up pent up production demands, most likely.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
All i know is that at my dealer on Long Island, NY, if i order next week or last week, I do not see anything until about March 2022. That's a long freakin time away from now. That is like seven months.
Sounds about right. Nick Murray mentioned March as a possible time frame for the first new allocations as well. Guess that makes it true. :unsure::ROFLMAO:.

It is giving me 2nd thoughts, though.

Reactions: ~el~jefe~

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
2nd thoughts for what?
1. Maybe go for a different 718 model?
2. Maybe there are issues with few GTS' on the market?
3. Maybe not wait until March '22 for an allocation and then wait another 6 months to delivery?

Well, that's 3

Premium Member
3. Maybe not wait until March '22 for an allocation and then wait another 6 months to delivery?

Well, that's 3
I think youre reading too much into it. Porsche sent out replacement engines for all of those cars. im sure before they spent all of that money on all those motors and all those installs, they first figured out what the issue was and solved it. Mistakes happen, but it鈥檚 not like these guys havent made engines before. My understanding is a supplier was producing rods that didn鈥檛 meet spec, and it was addressed. All indications are they knew exactly which motors were affected.

Reactions: Moin66

Premium Member

Well, that's 3
oh I meant that if i buy it this week, i get my 718 in March 2022. Not that "allotment" open then, but that I am allotted the car. I realize that i did not understand the word "allotment" in the conversation we are having. There is an amount of that right now for delivery next early Spring 2022.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
did you scope out some alternative places? Maybe it's just your particular car? I would doubt that though.
Yep, did. It's kind of a unicorn right now. Patience, at least that is what I tell myself. LOL

Reactions: ~el~jefe~

Registered
My build was pushed back 3 weeks. I think its a combination of chips and other materials at this point. I don't think Porsche wants to put out a bunch of allocations that they cant meet due to supply chain issues. I think they are going to hold allocations close to the vest until they know parts are on there way. I imagine that they have had to begin storing parts as they can get them in order to reduce interruption to the production line. These are all new things as every auto manufacturer has been spending years fine tuning their just in time supply chain to reduce costs. The game has completely changed in the last year.

All these reasons led me to agree to a dealer ADM of MSRP+$5k to secure my Spyder allocation in July. I am worried that they may be talking about scrubbing the model in the near future for the next generation (possibly EV). The extra $5k was tolerable because I sold my RS6 Avant for $15k more than I paid last November. My production is currently set for this November and delivery in early January.

Best of luck to everyone scouring for allocations. I would suggest negotiating the ADM to a price you can stomach if you really want one built to your specifications. Time is ticking and things are not improving.

Registered
My build was pushed back 3 weeks. I think its a combination of chips and other materials at this point. I don't think Porsche wants to put out a bunch of allocations that they cant meet due to supply chain issues. I think they are going to hold allocations close to the vest until they know parts are on there way. I imagine that they have had to begin storing parts as they can get them in order to reduce interruption to the production line. These are all new things as every auto manufacturer has been spending years fine tuning their just in time supply chain to reduce costs. The game has completely changed in the last year.

All these reasons led me to agree to a dealer ADM of MSRP+$5k to secure my Spyder allocation in July. I am worried that they may be talking about scrubbing the model in the near future for the next generation (possibly EV). The extra $5k was tolerable because I sold my RS6 Avant for $15k more than I paid last November. My production is currently set for this November and delivery in early January.

Best of luck to everyone scouring for allocations. I would suggest negotiating the ADM to a price you can stomach if you really want one built to your specifications. Time is ticking and things are not improving.
MSRP+$5k? I would think that Porsche would not tolerate that and that the dealer could face losing its affiliation.

Premium Member
MSRP+$5k? I would think that Porsche would not tolerate that and that the dealer could face losing its affiliation.
it鈥檚 been common in the US for a while. Ferrari used to prevent this here, but I don鈥檛 think even they are enforcing it now. But with Porsche, I don鈥檛 think this has been a rule in America.

Registered
it鈥檚 been common in the US for a while. Ferrari used to prevent this here, but I don鈥檛 think even they are enforcing it now. But with Porsche, I don鈥檛 think this has been a rule in America.
It's akin to a bribe. Good reason to stay away from that dealer. No consumer protection legislation in force?

Premium Member
It's akin to a bribe. Good reason to stay away from that dealer. No consumer protection legislation in force?
good point. It may be illegal in some states. But these fees are legal where I live, and where I am buying the GT3T, and where I am buying the Spyder. So that is 3 states at least. And I know it is also legal in California and Massachusetts.So 5 where I have personal experience.

Registered
what? Are you familiar with car business in the US? Common practice. And a fairly reasonable ask given the current circumstances. Don鈥檛 want to pay, then you can wait and hope.

Dont get me wrong, I鈥榤 not a fan of this practice but I am also living in reality not some fantasyland.

Registered
So the 718 is not a need. It鈥檚 a want. A toy. As such, it鈥檚 a bit of an impulse buy. Having to wait and hope for an allocation, wait for production and then overpay kind of puts a damper on things. I have so much time and so many reasons to delay or say.. nah, I don鈥檛 need this. Maybe I will wait a few years until sanity returns when used cars stop appreciating in value and I can actually go to a dealership to buy a car.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I was asked by a dealer for $10K over MSRP just to get on a list for a GTS.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
what? Are you familiar with car business in the US? Common practice. And a fairly reasonable ask given the current circumstances. Don鈥檛 want to pay, then you can wait and hope.

Dont get me wrong, I鈥榤 not a fan of this practice but I am also living in reality not some fantasyland.
I don't think it's 'living in fantasy land' when one expects a luxury car brand to not allow its dealers to be above board with their customers and to make sure that what price is on the brands website and car building software vs. what their licensed reps/dealers tell you? To me that is false advertising and bait and switch?

Reactions: Stefanus
21 - 40 of 48 Posts