Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am considering tracking my 718 CS. I'm curious to learn from those whom track their cars (or have tracked), what impacts has tracking made on your car--for example, are there increased rock chips on the front bumper, side intakes, and rear wheel well?

I'm guessing the wheel wells get filthy and is par for the course of tracking a vehicle (for the OCD detailers out there).

Is PPF recommended for tracked cars?

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
2,054 Posts
I've taken my base Cayman to three HPDE weekends and it has a ceramic coating. HPDEs are fairly tame compared to racing and if you stay on the line for your car, there is usually not that much debris flying about at the car. It's when you get away from the line that you get into the "marbles" etc. There is a chance of running off the track but most times, depending on the track, that may not be too bad on the car.

Reactions: TrueEddie

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
IMHO PPF is highly recommended for tracking, especially on higher speed tracks, like COTA.

Reactions: JazzCatGab

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
2,855 Posts
This will be a great thread for a lot of people. I've tracked a lot of different cars, mostly Porsche and Ferrari. Some points:

• I would definitely PPF
  • Yes, you have stuff hitting your car, especially as you come up onto the rear of other people in turns
  • I don't think the wheel wells get super dirty, but you do pick up a lot of rubber and that rubber ends up in the wheel wells and pretty much everywhere else that rubber can end up :)
  • You will get an enormous amount of brake dust, even if you have CCB's. You will have to clean the wheels very well, and probably take them off the car to do it.
  • With care, you can keep the car looking great still.

I have cars that have 20-30-40 track days and they still look great. I sold my last GT3 with at least 70 days on it and it looked good IMO.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have also covered my headlights with transparent tape. Its easy to get spiders as I have learned from experience. the other item is radiator screes but... they also take away cooling efficiency so depending on the track it can increased the coolant temps and that is what you don't want. you trade off radiator damage with cooling capacity. I have those on and will see how a summer day in Cota is with the screens on...don't want that limp mode showing up.

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Grille

·
Registered
2020 GT4
37 Posts
Hey all,

I am considering tracking my 718 CS. I'm curious to learn from those whom track their cars (or have tracked), what impacts has tracking made on your car--for example, are there increased rock chips on the front bumper, side intakes, and rear wheel well?

I'm guessing the wheel wells get filthy and is par for the course of tracking a vehicle (for the OCD detailers out there).

Is PPF recommended for tracked cars?

Thanks!!
IMO whatever you need to do to the car to protect it (PPF), clean the car, maintain the car, and yes suffer from minor esthetical imperfections is absolutely worth the experience of really exploring and enjoying the capability of these cars. You can't safely really know what a Porsche can do until you track it!!! Enjoy life, besafe!!!

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
2,054 Posts
Cool thread… I’ve also read that tracked engines are the better engines.

I dont plan to track mine, but I can see/believe the pros outweighing the cons.
Keep that thought dude. Taking it on the track is extremely addictive, particularly after you get past the short period when you wish you were wearing a Depends.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Cool thread… I’ve also read that tracked engines are the better engines.

I dont plan to track mine, but I can see/believe the pros outweighing the cons.
Ditto @JazzCatGab's comment. You owe yourself and your steed at least one track day...right!?! Just know the odds of owning a 718 and stopping at one are pretty much the same as placing Buddy Hackett in a room with a bowl full of Lay's potato chips and mandating a one chip limit. BTW the track has been my most enjoyable and exciting activity since retiring in 2016. There are no close seconds.

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
2,855 Posts
Ditto @JazzCatGab's comment. You owe yourself and your steed at least one track day...right!?! Just know the odds of owning a 718 and stopping at one are pretty much the same as placing Buddy Hackett in a room with a bowl full of Lay's potato chips and mandating a one chip limit. BTW the track has been my most enjoyable and exciting activity since retiring in 2016. There are no close seconds.
Come on! @Payman seems nice. Don’t ruin his life like we have ours. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
IMO whatever you need to do to the car to protect it (PPF), clean the car, maintain the car, and yes suffer from minor esthetical imperfections is absolutely worth the experience of really exploring and enjoying the capability of these cars. You can't safely really know what a Porsche can do until you track it!!! Enjoy life, besafe!!!
(y)

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Yep @Payman, a two day Barber track experience after PEC is one slippery slope far too steep to overcome.

OMG, I must be a horrible person....why can't I stop watching this loop!?!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Ha, nope... Recently had a kid and that put a dent in ALL my plans. It's still high on my priority list. I want to PPF the car but I have a few rock chips and I'm on the fence about it.
have a pro detailer fill the paint chips and PPF it - prevent further chips

I'm going to have the full front end done with my CGTS - with that low sloping front end - it could collect all sorts of chips. and with the upcharge for the Special Colors...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts