Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a base 2019 and am happy with it performance wise. I was just curious why some folks are now opting to go to the NA 6 versions of the 718. Horsepower to displacement is clearly in favor of the turbo cars and the pursuit of better sound seems elusive in the 6 without exhaust changes from what I gather. Maybe it is advantageous on the track, IDK, or maybe some just prefer the newest innovations.

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
126 Posts
Sound and power delivery. There are some that prefer the way NA engines respond.

The perception issue is real, but it is more about the four cylinders than the turbocharging. The change to turbos in the 911 didn't seem to make as many waves as it did for the 718.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Its mainly about the sound.
Some people will like to get higher in the rev range though as they mash through the gears.

The theory of "drive a slow car fast" theory in full effect.

I came from a NA 2.7L (with sport exhaust) and the 718 is way better in power delivery that is immediate. Sound is not bad at all in Sport mode.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Sound and power delivery. There are some that prefer the way NA engines respond.
This. 6cyl sounds fantastic, especially with a little aftermarket help. And the throttle response and linear power of a NA engine cant be matched with a turbo. The GTS 4.0 is purely about emotion and engagement which is what makes it a great sports car.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I am making the jump from a 2.5 to a 4.0 and it has nothing really to do with the engine. Just so happens to be that the variant I am after has the 4.0. Same I assume goes for those weighing up an S to a GTS. The GTS is a better value proposition even when it had the 2.5, plus it holds its value better.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The sound. And maybe the feeling of a bit closer connection to the legendary 911 even though technically the current 718 turbocharged blocks are closer in DNA to the current 992 non-GT blocks than the 4.0 NA. A flat six with a set of headers at full wail is definitely musical.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I am making the jump from a 2.5 to a 4.0 and it has nothing really to do with the engine. Just so happens to be that the variant I am after has the 4.0. Same I assume goes for those weighing up an S to a GTS. The GTS is a better value proposition even when it had the 2.5, plus it holds its value better.
Ditto...going from S to GTS for a few options the S did not have. Thought the turbo's power delivery was excellent, so I had zero issues with the 2.5. My first choice is a low mileage 2018 Sapphire Blue Metallic BGTS. Unfortunately, turbo SBM GTS's are effectively unicorns, as they were only available in 2018 (unless you want to shell out $11,430 for PTS). Thus, I've effectively given up hope of finding one, so our new GTS will sport Gentian Blue and all our preferred options.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
... plus it holds its value better.
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of buying any Porsche because it holds its value better. I selected mine because that's a car I liked. Ten years from now, or whenever, if I'm considering another fun car it won't matter one iota whether my 718 Cayman has held its value. I selected it to drive it, not resell it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Really? The 4.0 in the 718's is a bored and stroked 992 engine without the turbos.
You could be right. I had seen a video before explaining the family tree of these engines and I thought I saw that the GTS and GT4 4.0 was more related to the 991.2 engines without the turbos whereas the 2.0 and 2.5 were more related to the 992 engines but with 2 cylinders lopped off. I could be wrong as I don't know where I saw that video to check it again.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
I went from a turbo GTS to a GT4, but mainly because I wanted the better suspension, aero, and seats for the track. That a flat six came along with the GT4 was neat, but it wasn't the main motivator for me. I admit, though, that I'm probably in the minority in that regard. :D

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
126 Posts
I think that the 991.2 engine is pretty much the same as that used in the 992. Intercooler is different, but basically the same motor.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of buying any Porsche because it holds its value better. I selected mine because that's a car I liked. Ten years from now, or whenever, if I'm considering another fun car it won't matter one iota whether my 718 Cayman has held its value. I selected it to drive it, not resell it.
Assuming one is taking about a new build where zero depreciation has take. place and discounts in the UK are nowhere near to that in some countries, yes, I personally try and be prudent in what I'm doing. with my funds. I never go in thinking I am going to make money or option a car that will be sellable. Not many people keep their cars for 10 years, at least in my circle of friends.

When I went in for my first P car I initially was looking at a Base then bumped to the S as it had more of what I was looking for. However, knowing I would not be keeping it for 10 years or even more than 3, the GTS then made more sense as it does have a higher residual. Nothing wrong with going what makes financial sense for a particular persons situation.

I personally do not have unlimited funds to play with where cars are concerned hence switching so soon, what with the market being what it is. And seeing as any allocation is hard to come by, my proposed Spyder build being.not far off cost wise from what I paid for my GTS 2.5 and the certainty that any GT car does hold it's value better, it played into my decision.

To the OP, I will hand on heart miss the 2.5 as I loved all that comes with it. Power, noise, feel etc. The Spyder is an itch to be scratched and this too won't be around long so who knows what will come next.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
... yes, I personally try and be prudent in what I'm doing. with my funds.... Not many people keep their cars for 10 years, at least in my circle of friends.
I personally do not have unlimited funds to play with where cars are concerned hence switching so soon,
Fair enough. All valid points. I'd guess that most of us here try to be prudent with our funds, because if we didn't we'd never be able to purchase a Porsche in the first place! Even if I had wanted to go upscale from a base C (and I did consider it), prudence said I didn't want or need to, and my sweetie (a.k.a. DW of 40+ years) would not have approved.:eek: An S and especially a GTS would have been, shall we say, imprudent. From a financial standpoint the win continues because the base is cheaper to run. But more importantly, it is great fun to drive and all the car I need. It's like finishing that second pint of IPA. I sure don't need a third. Didn't really need the second but that's the extravagance of buying a Porsche.

As for keeping cars for 10 years, to make driveway and domestic bliss space for the 718C I sold a Triumph Spitfire 1500 and a Triumph GT6+ (that's a Mk 2 on your side of The Pond). I had owned them for 30 and 20 years, respectively. The GT6 was that second pint of IPA 23 years ago. Unless you are younger than a certain age you will have fond memories or horror stories of both cars! Long before that I'd owned two Fiats which I loved, and a Porsche 912 which was rather boring by comparison.

So about the 6-cylinder, I couldn't say why it attracts. Yes it will sound different, yes its throttle response will be different. By the numbers it neither better nor worse. The base 4T motor under power sounds as glorious at 6000rpm as the GT6 did at 4000. Every car I've owned was different from the previous. If I had to guess I'd say it's a numbers thing to non-Porsche-files, and to Porsche-files it's about the other details that come with the 4.0, not the engine per se.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Sounds like we are thinking much alike Jim. As stated, I went in for a Base and/or T as it was more than I needed. Long story short, for the situation I was in, it worked out as it did. I have a Morgan 4/4 which I can't see leaving my clutches, at least while my back allows me to very awkwardly get in and out of it. :)

I've noticed that in China you can order a Spyder with the 4cyl! If offered that option, I would take it in a heart beat. B road driving here doesn't require gobs of power. The draw is to try a GT car and the underpinnings which happens to come with a 4.0. I'd be more than happy to report back later in the year once it arrives and comment on if the engine provides any additional joy. Having driven a GTS 4.0 on the track, I'd say it doesn't to be fair.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Taking the internet mob mentality out of the question, the main issue with turbos over a N/A engine is the turbo lag. And it's a thing - it DOES NOT inspire confidence. As far as sound, I dunno, those N/A engines need to be really wound up before they sound like anything - and I personally don't drive around town like that. Growing up, light little sport cars always sounded a bit funny compared to our muscle cars, it was part of the charm. I kind of like the bag of bolts sound of the 2L turbos :D , but I'm not pretending I bought a super car - just a fun little rag top to boot around town in. People really need to lighten up and be honest with themselves and buy what THEY like because NO ONE REALLY CARES what you drive. It's all fun if you buy what YOU want.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Having owned a 718 S (turbo) and now a GTS 4.0, I'll just say they are different. Perhaps I can liken it to using two high quality knives. Both accomplish the same task, but each has its own unique feel. It's more than either the sound or the power delivery on their own. I think you have to look at it more holistically, else you'll miss the forest for the trees. I've said it before on this forum. I loved my S, but I enjoy my 4.0 a little more. One can't make a mistake with either one.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Seems to be a personal choice based on many factors. At some point when NA 6s become less rare, I may need to go test drive one to see if I feel a difference. Nonetheless, I'd be going into it doubting that an additional $20-40K price differential would be worth any slight advantages whether it is performance, amenities, sound, or other nuiances. My frugal side is showing. Cheers to those going for it!

1 - 20 of 122 Posts