Porsche 718 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Would rather have a Sapphire Blue Metallic 718 GTS (only made in 2018) with all the options (I wanted that) my 718 BS was missing. I've literally been scouring the world every single day for the past 6 months and the only three that surfaced weren't in an acceptable condition and/or mileage range.

The F4T is a fabulous engine that produces sufficient power, superior linear acceleration, and great sound. Thus, I couldn't care less how many cylinders, just find my unicorn! Wish I was smart enough to have ordered an F4T in SBM when I purchased the BS. Unfortunately, I didn't know what I didn't know, so I'll likely have to settle for a 2022 Gentian Blue Metallic GTS (I know...third world probs). The fact that the 2022 is an NA6 six is not part of the buying equation for me (YMMV). My greatest concern is the NA6 won't be as robust on the track as the F4T.

Reactions: chester7 and carlb

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would take a 2.5 GTS over a 4.0 GTS in a heartbeat, went to the Porsche dealer asking if can order a 2022 2.5 GTS, did not want the 4.0 honestly. I wondered if could get one for the Chinese market where the 2.5 GTS is still available.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I think most 6-cyl buyers don't want to admit it but public perception is the most important aspect. From talking to owners and asking questions.
I've never given a toss what other people think and would take the NA6 over the F4T 2.5 in a heartbeat. My previous car was a Renaultsport Megane RS265, I bought it for myself, most people didn't have a clue what it was, and when they found out they thought I was crazy. When looking to sell my BMW to get into it I encountered a smug BMW salesman, who scoffed at the idea I was selling a BMW for a Renault. I enjoyed telling him it was quicker round the 'Ring than a 1M.

As others have said, public perception is "it's a Porsche", most have no clue what model or what engine is powering it.

Buy the car you like and want.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I've been pondering whether of "what other people think" affects which car people buy. I have concluded that I know very little about what "other people think", let alone whether it motivates someone's car purchase. I know the reactions my car receives; people like how it looks, they know Porsche as a premium brand, and if they know the Porsche models (some do, most don't) they appreciate the platform. But that's a small sample of "other people". Most people don't react at all, just take it for granted. I know what the bloggers and real magazines say, but that doesn't count as "other people".

So what influences buyers' choices? I assume reviewers do sometimes. (They influenced me a little but I already had a clue what I was looking for.) I suspect that "other people" may influence some buyers but only within the associates of the buyer, and only for some buyers. If all my friends owned Ferraris and were constantly praising them and implicitly judging me for not owning one too, then I might be influenced. Does that happen to many people? I doubt it, and you'd have to have a limited circle of friends for that to happen. If "other people" includes all those folks you see going about their daily lives, folks whom you don't know and for whom you can only assume a reaction to your car, then you must be pretty insecure. Are many of us like that? I suspect not. At least not if you drive a 718 instead of a 911, since you chose the road less traveled by. The 911 owners? Probably not. But that's a guess. I don't know many.

The point is, I have no idea what motivates car purchases.

Reactions: Graustark

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have concluded that I know very little about what "other people think", let alone whether it motivates someone's car purchase.
I agree with you. GTS 4.0 buyer here… what others thought didn’t enter into the equation for me. I don’t have the side decal, and the rear model plaque simply says 718. If one is a car guy, the exhaust will be an easy giveaway. For me, it came down to the entire performance package of the GTS, which I felt was a better value. But you know, I think it’s awesome that we get to choose what works best for each one of us… and be happy about our choices :)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
My vehicle purchases have effectively been based on personal research and a seat of the pants opinion. We have a few friends with "sporty" cars; but none of those cars I'd consider HPDE/track worthy. Thus, I didn't enlist their opinions before selecting our BS. On the other hand, several knowledgeable folks on this forum helped point me in the right direction after I found the 911 somewhat disappointing (it just didn't fit "my" definition of a sports car). Thanks too all who helped me through this dilemma and steared me toward the 718. I am forever grateful to you all!

Reactions: carlb

·
Registered
65 Posts
I agree with you. GTS 4.0 buyer here… what others thought didn’t enter into the equation for me. I don’t have the side decal, and the rear model plaque simply says 718. If one is a car guy, the exhaust will be an easy giveaway. For me, it came down to the entire performance package of the GTS, which I felt was a better value. But you know, I think it’s awesome that we get to choose what works best for each one of us… and be happy about our choices :)
I agree with this. I was lucky I got to extensively drive both F4 and F6 versions of the GTS in both manual and PDK (as well as a 981 GT4 and a base). I loved them all and would have been happy with any one of them but I went with the one the felt right 'to me' and I enjoyed driving the most.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Erik van Rijn said:
I think most 6-cyl buyers don't want to admit it but public perception is the most important aspect. From talking to owners and asking questions.
I’m guessing there’s truth in that.
Sorry but that makes no sense. If you want a GTS/GT4/Spyder, you get the 4.0. I selected my current GTS (2.5) based on it having all I was going to add to an S but in a slightly better package and for better value. If I was buying a GTS today, I would likely go that route again, regardless if it was a 4 or 6.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Sorry but that makes no sense. If you want a GTS/GT4/Spyder, you get the 4.0. I selected my current GTS (2.5) based on it having all I was going to add to an S but in a slightly better package and for better value. If I was buying a GTS today, I would likely go that route again, regardless if it was a 4 or 6.
What a great post! Overarching every thread I've seen on this topic seems to be the assumption that one orders a GTS simply for the NA6. Well MOG_80TH points out that's not always the reason!

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Agreed that the purchase of the GTS in terms of trim level is the smart choice. You get so much more value since an S equipped as a GTS would cost much more.

My comment is not a jab at F4 vs. F6. It is rather a statement that perception of the F4 vs F6 is real and this thread is proof. Until it's a simple question of which engine came in your car without judgement, there will always be someone with an opinion and we'll be stuck in this endless loop. Like it or not opinions drive decisions. EDIT: I took the post I replied to as decisions being driven solely based on engine and why I said that there's probably some truth in that.

Both engines are strong performers and in the end deliver power and performance. We still have one of each in the family so please understand my comments come from a POV on how pointless this conversation is and for everyone to stop comparing size. Review my first post in this thread #48

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
As the original poster of the question, my intention was never to stimulate comparison or likes/dislikes of the two platforms. As usual, I suppose, things went that way. I was just curious why some current T4 owners have gone to the NA6. There are obviously a lot of reasons for that that vary by individual outlined above. Can't go wrong with anything Porsche! Enjoy whatever flavor you prefer.

·
Registered
834 Posts
One could argue that this forum was launched because of the childish T4/NA6 arguments that polluted Planet 9 after the introduction of the turbo motors to the Boxster/Cayman line. Hopefully the addition of the 4.0 to the lineup doesn't have the same result here.
While I'm firmly of the opinion one engine isn't "better" than the other (and I've owned both), I think at least some of the back and forth comparing the two engines serves a useful purpose. I think we probably agree.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
As the original poster of the question, my intention was never to stimulate comparison or likes/dislikes of the two platforms. As usual, I suppose, things went that way. I was just curious why some current T4 owners have gone to the NA6. There are obviously a lot of reasons for that that vary by individual outlined above. Can't go wrong with anything Porsche! Enjoy whatever flavor you prefer.
Troublemaker 😜

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was just curious why some current T4 owners have gone to the NA6.
Well after realizing the current 911's aren't as much fun for me as they once were, I was committed to a GTS or Boxster T. I felt they were better value for dollar (and better residual) than the base or S with the specs I wanted (I'd enjoy all of them, so value played a roll). It basically came down to availability (GTS was too long a wait) and silly as it sounds - my hatred of alcantara. For me to get rid of the alcantara in the GTS, I'd have to go full leather all around with vented seats. The Boxter T, with the full leather and sportek seat centers was perfect for me.

As far as the 6 vs 4 debate, hmmm. Well my feelings back in the day about F6 911's vs the V8/V12's of the day is very similar. Us Porsche guys were always a bit of an oddball group and loved the fact that we could perform so well with a 6 cylinder - and air cooled to boot! My attraction to engineering has always been the efficiency and simplicity of a design. I kind of like the underdog value of it as well. So for me, the F4 appealed to me in that sense - it's amazing to me how much they have squeezed out of a 2L 4 cylinder engine - an award winning engine as well. With the GTS N/A 6, I'm attracted to it because this may very well be the goldilocks of all Porsches - it checks ALL the boxes and it may end up being a very rare car the way things are going.

So I'm not really answering your specific question as I did not go for the F6 - but I would have for those reasons :) If the market calms down and the f6 is still available, I may still go for one. I do believe though, that history will be very kind to the F4's - it's a really brilliant car and pays wonderful homage to the history of the 718.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well after realizing the current 911's aren't as much fun for me as they once were, I was committed to a GTS or Boxster T. I felt they were better value for dollar (and better residual) than the base or S with the specs I wanted (I'd enjoy all of them, so value played a roll). It basically came down to availability (GTS was too long a wait) and silly as it sounds - my hatred of alcantara. For me to get rid of the alcantara in the GTS, I'd have to go full leather all around with vented seats. The Boxter T, with the full leather and sportek seat centers was perfect for me.

As far as the 6 vs 4 debate, hmmm. Well my feelings back in the day about F6 911's vs the V8/V12's of the day is very similar. Us Porsche guys were always a bit of an oddball group and loved the fact that we could perform so well with a 6 cylinder - and air cooled to boot! My attraction to engineering has always been the efficiency and simplicity of a design. I kind of like the underdog value of it as well. So for me, the F4 appealed to me in that sense - it's amazing to me how much they have squeezed out of a 2L 4 cylinder engine - an award winning engine as well. With the GTS N/A 6, I'm attracted to it because this may very well be the goldilocks of all Porsches - it checks ALL the boxes and it may end up being a very rare car the way things are going.

So I'm not really answering your specific question as I did not go for the F6 - but I would have for those reasons :) If the market calms down and the f6 is still available, I may still go for one. I do believe though, that history will be very kind to the F4's - it's a really brilliant car and pays wonderful homage to the history of the 718.
I was a little puzzled when I found my 2019 Cayman GTS. Prior owner had spec’d it with alcantara deleted from everything and replaced with leather and carbon fiber. Not complaining about the leather but I kind of like the look of alcantara - why do people dislike it?

I can’t speak to the NA 6 as I never drove it. But after test driving a bunch of cars including a 992 C4S that I was initially set on, the GTS was a no-brainer. I didn’t even know it was a 4-cylinder or that so many people hate the exhaust sound until I started reading press after the test drive. Bought it the next day anyway.

Drove my friend’s Corvette C8 which is naturally aspirated a few weeks later - helped me realize that I don’t regret going with a turbo engine. For those who like the feeling of linear torque buildup and the exhaust tune of a 6 cylinder, I’m sure the 718 6 cylinders are amazing cars. I even have a bit of an itch for a Spyder but I worry about the loss of turbo. I’m a back road and city driver and the 2.5T GTS just screams at almost any revs when the dynamic boost is built up.

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
126 Posts
I was a little puzzled when I found my 2019 Cayman GTS. Prior owner had spec’d it with alcantara deleted from everything and replaced with leather and carbon fiber. Not complaining about the leather but I kind of like the look of alcantara - why do people dislike it?
Here is one opinion:

·
Registered
365 Posts
This circular argument has no end, especially when industry media adds fuel to the fire like this from C&D:

Best to just enjoy whatever flavor of internal combustion 718 you may have and let other car enthusiasts envy one of the most capable platforms available today.

61 - 80 of 122 Posts