Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While eagerly awaiting the arrival of the base Cayman that I have on order, one of the ways I’m channeling that anxious waiting energy is trying to decide what to name her. I’ve seen posts from a few other members mentioning their cars’ names, and I thought it would be fun to hear more 718 names (and, if you want to share, reasons for selecting them).

For my Cayman, my main consideration is that it should be a German name, since she’s not only a German car but will also be the first German car I have owned. My family background also includes German heritage on my mother’s side. So I gave a little thought to choosing a name that has been used in our family, but I decided that it would be a little weird if people think I named a car after a relative/ancestor. So that’s out. Needs to be a German name that, as far as I know, has not been in my family.

Right now my top contender is Lorelei. Two others in contention are Leisel and Gretel.

How about yours?

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
311 Posts
There is only one name my Race Yellow Black Top Boxster could be: Bumblebee....
And my new vanity plate for Florida is: BUML-BE (only seven digits and/or hypen allowed)

At least the younger generation will get it! Or those with grandkids..

·
Premium Member
2017 boxter 718
53 Posts
There is only one name my Race Yellow Black Top Boxster could be: Bumblebee....
And my new vanity plate for Florida is: BUML-BE (only seven digits and/or hypen allowed)

At least the younger generation will get it! Or those with grandkids..
why "shatzi" naturally. i know that's not the correct german spelling, that one's already taken at PA DOT.

·
Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
677 Posts
While eagerly awaiting the arrival of the base Cayman that I have on order, one of the ways I’m channeling that anxious waiting energy is trying to decide what to name her. I’ve seen posts from a few other members mentioning their cars’ names, and I thought it would be fun to hear more 718 names (and, if you want to share, reasons for selecting them).

For my Cayman, my main consideration is that it should be a German name, since she’s not only a German car but will also be the first German car I have owned. My family background also includes German heritage on my mother’s side. So I gave a little thought to choosing a name that has been used in our family, but I decided that it would be a little weird if people think I named a car after a relative/ancestor. So that’s out. Needs to be a German name that, as far as I know, has not been in my family.

Right now my top contender is Lorelei. Two others in contention are Leisel and Gretel.

How about yours?
You could go with Sabine ("Zah-BEE-nuh") for the recently late Sabine Schmidt, queen of the Nürburging. Or something from the Classical canon: Nannerl (Wolfie Mozart's sister) or maybe one of the potential Immortal Beloveds of Beethoven. Or Clara: composer and Robert Schumann's wife and also close friend of Brahms.

I just call my CGTS4 the Schnellwagen. ("fast car") Fun to say.

Freya is a Nordic goddess of quite an array of things, per wikipedia: "a goddess associated with love, beauty, fertility, sex, war, gold, and seiðr" (magic). She rides a chariot driven by two cats! Listen to that Porsche purr.

·
Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
677 Posts
why "shatzi" naturally. i know that's not the correct german spelling, that one's already taken at PA DOT.
Schatz = treasure, so guessing Schatzi would be the deutsche spelling. That's a good one.

·
Registered
'18 718 CS, Pdk, Night Blue met. Agate grey int. 14 way H/V seats20" Carrera, PSE, PrmPkg
76 Posts
Carvin' Marvin.

Took a while to come up with that, but fits well

Wasn't sure I'd keep the tramp-stamp, but adds a bit of character.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I let my daughter pick a name. Can't remember what it was because it became Dog Killer immediately after her inaugural drive behind wheel that resulted in said name. Wife said it was disgusting so to her and others that might be sensitive, I use Pkar.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The 982 is The Cayman or New Cayman as opposed to Old Cayman (2014 981). To go along with the equally exciting names The Finder (1993 Pathfinder), Six (2006 Volvo XC70), Sixteen (2016 Volvo XC70), and the newest member of the fleet The B or B or still trying to decide (1973 MG MGB).

Reactions: Tulkinghorn

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm down to three cars and one boat now, but I name them all. The Porsche I call "The Porsche". The Fiat I call "The Fiat". My wife's Honda we call "The Honda" and our boat we call "The Boat".

Back when I had a Ferrari we called it "The Ferrari" and when I rode a Ducati we called it "The Ducati".

·
Registered
886 Posts
Please, sir (@CJA). Do not interrupt my chain of thought. I'm a busy martian. Oh goodie! My Illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator.

Carvin’ Marvin...still my favorite 718 nickname!

·
Super Moderator
1,907 Posts
I'm down to three cars and one boat now, but I name them all. The Porsche I call "The Porsche". The Fiat I call "The Fiat". My wife's Honda we call "The Honda" and our boat we call "The Boat".

Back when I had a Ferrari we called it "The Ferrari" and when I rode a Ducati we called it "The Ducati".
Yup.
Either "the Porsche" or "the Boxster".
I only take nationality into consideration when naming cats.😁 Russian names for Russian Blues, East African names for Abyssinians.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts