Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope you think yours is the best! I do! Certainly there are lots of options to make your car unique and built just for you. But what are a few of those options that fulfilled your car lust? The only things we all have in common is the more neutral handling of the mid-engine, its aerodynamic design and beauty, Porsche's attention to detail and excellent mechanical design, and its responsiveness that makes it fun to drive. But what are those few things that had to be there (including color) that made everything else about your car icing on the cake? Why?

Here are mine. Although most of my past sports cars were drop-tops, my goal was a classic, but modern, sports car designed for running around rural roads. I have very little hair to fly in the wind and I'd acquired allergies so a coupe was required. As a grumpy old man, bright colors were out of the question (too happy) and black was too dark, so agate gray was it for me. A base Cayman with manual transmission filled the bill, as basic is a starting point and a nod to the older cars. I wasn't going to race it, so the 2.0 turbo was plenty of power. The 2019 had PSE standard, so it was going to sound as good as any other sports car I had owned. I added SC and PASM to handle the curves and various road conditions you find in the rural country. Sport tail pipes because the single was too avant-garde for moi.

Those were the "had to haves" and why. I added a few other things to the build for comfort and convenience, because I could. Afterward, I've added some CF aero and some performance enhancement because tweaking perfection is a common insanity that I admit to doing for no rational reason.

What is your 718's story? Why is yours the best? What two or three (or four) features did it have to have?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I really appreciate how unique these cars are in general, but mine is special (to me) because Sapphire Blue was only offered on the 2.5L GTS in 2018 and its a six speed. Can't be too many like that in my part of the world.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If by "best" we mean among the 718 community and for me maybe among GTS 718's I would say my Burmester stereo option which seems to be rare. Anymore, I am either flying around backroads oblivious to my stereo or cruising to and from the golf course jamming on my downloaded Spotify music. Way overpriced option, but I have never regretted getting the Burmester.

·
Registered
446 Posts
If by "best" we mean among the 718 community and for me maybe among GTS 718's I would say my Burmester stereo option which seems to be rare. Anymore, I am either flying around backroads oblivious to my stereo or cruising to and from the golf course jamming on my downloaded Spotify music. Way overpriced option, but I have never regretted getting the Burmester.
I bit the bullet and checked that option box too. 2 months to go. Any further impressions on the Burmester? I just love good music too much to go halfway.

Reactions: JazzCatGab

·
Registered
125 Posts
I bit the bullet and checked that option box too. 2 months to go. Any further impressions on the Burmester? I just love good music too much to go halfway.
The sound is clear and pure across the full spectrum of types of music and listening volume while being limited by 718 speaker location and competing interior noise. The bass is plentiful and enough to rattle the driver side door trim on certain songs. Again, not "worth" the option money in this car but I don't regret getting it particularly since I am providing music with sufficient sampling rates to take advantage of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Miami Blue and ventilated seats... I have owned / driven several makes and models with ventilated seats and was never "blown away" by them. My wife drives a Gen 2 Raptor with them and they basically make no difference. Not an option I was seeking, but you get what you get when looking used and I'm really impressed how much better they work in the Cayman.

I love the Miami blue and the world needs color - I had a 2012 Grabber blue Mustang before, so it was a good transition.

·
Registered
2018 Porsche Cayman GTS and 2014 Porsche Cayman S
15 Posts
91D2D54B-7E7C-45D6-B4EE-FB467AE268BB.jpeg

I’m still working on “dialing-in” my new-to-me 2018 Chalk Cayman GTS. Added a Capristo cat-back exhaust with carbon fiber and red tips. Haven’t seen anyone else with this setup and it looks amazing with the GTS black trim theme.

·
Registered
616 Posts
You won't be getting the best out the the Burmester if you are using Spotify as your primary source and would benefit from using either an SD Card with flac files or a higher quality streaming service such as Tidal's Hi-Fi tier service.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I have no issues with the Bose system even in my Boxster with the top down. It has decent spacial separation and range.

What makes my 718 special? It's mine :) Oh and with a few customizations such as Fabspeed catback, short shifter, DCS controller, oversized/weighted shift knob, painted splitters front and rear and a few other accessories. Ah heck. They're all special! ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Because it is my first Porsche :)
Same here. It was my childhood dream to someday own a Porsche. I was lucky enough to be able to fulfill my dream at the age of 26. Could have achieved it a little bit earlier buying a used 987 when I purchased my Mx5 Miata, but I preferred to go initially for the cheaper to run Mazda and wait for the Porsche just a little bit more to make sure that when I finally got it, it would be the modern, powerful and amazingly looking car I had always dreamed about.

What do I love from mine? First, its looks (red with 20" black wheels), then how superior those 300hp feel as compared to any other car I come across while driving (300hp is quite a lot for European (and specially Spanish) standards and finally, how planted, well balanced and well-built it feels.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Miami Blue and ventilated seats... I have owned / driven several makes and models with ventilated seats and was never "blown away" by them. My wife drives a Gen 2 Raptor with them and they basically make no difference. Not an option I was seeking, but you get what you get when looking used and I'm really impressed how much better they work in the Cayman.

I love the Miami blue and the world needs color - I had a 2012 Grabber blue Mustang before, so it was a good transition.
You're not kidding! I love turning the ventilated seats on just because it comes on so fast and strong.

·
Registered
966 Posts
You're not kidding! I love turning the ventilated seats on just because it comes on so fast and strong.
They work but I wish the car remembered to turn them on. My Ram truck does when the cabin is hot and upon starting. I forget to turn the seat vent on until its too late.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You won't be getting the best out the the Burmester if you are using Spotify as your primary source and would benefit from using either an SD Card with flac files or a higher quality streaming service such as Tidal's Hi-Fi tier service.
I don't want to hijack this thread and make it all Burmester, but I am not streaming Spotify. I use Sidify to download 320kbps flac files from Spotify to an SD card.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I don't want to hijack this thread and make it all Burmester, but I am not streaming Spotify. I use Sidify to download 320kbps flac files from Spotify to an SD card.
OK, I don't want to hijack this thread either but 320kbps is lossy and not a full resolution file. There will be no difference in audio quality between a 320kbps stream from Spotify and a 320kbps file saved as a flac file to an SD card. Also using Sidify to rip music from Spotify contravenes their terms and conditions and results in artists not being paid for what would be considered 'offline' or 'cached' plays if the service was being used in the way it was intended. I'll leave it there.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I also hate to hijack this thread but I do not use the radio. Prefer to listen to the "terrible" sounds of a flat 4. Who said a Subaru sounded bad?

Do not think the Boxster is the best. Too much computer crap. Best car I have ever owned was a 63 Alfa Romeo Guilia Sprint coupe. Wish I had it now. Wonder if driving it today it would still be as good as I remember?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts