Porsche 718 Forum banner

181 - 200 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
A couple more. I've got to give a language warning on the video. Well, maybe not. Doesn't look like it uploaded as a video. I'll try again.

CC4933FF-A079-4B6C-BA34-31C9C82563F1_1_105_c.jpeg

·
Registered
39 Posts
@Nomada I have the full leather interior package in my 982 Cayman and in my opinion it is finished quite nicely. The leather surfaces and especially the stitching give it a more luxurious feel than the partial leather in my 981 Cayman. I also specced the "Interior trim painted in exterior color" option on the 982 which I like much more than the standard faux-aluminum on the 981.
really nice in piano black
thanks for the pics ?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don’t mind the so called terrible sound of the 2.5 T4....but will probably trade up when the flat six arrives with PDK and PASM

·
Registered
2019 718S
54 Posts
The internal chrome dash trim is not my favorite. Couldn't justify the cost of the brushed aluminum option. Has anyone tried the 3M vinyls textured wrap for trim pieces? From some web images I've seen it seems to come up very well but it in person it might be a different thing. It seems like a diy job also.
My thoughts exactly!
I found a place on Facebook called Rvinyl..
would like to know what people’s thoughts are on this.
i have a black interior and really do not like the chrome under the dash

·
Registered
199 Posts
I actually think some of you may have misunderstood my previous reference to left-foot braking.
I'm referring to its usage on a race track or for auto-crossing.
I'm not familiar with the Wikipedia reference.
I would really have no interest in left-foot braking on the street since it would coupled with very aggressive and inappropriately fast driving on public roads.
It sounds like some of you have run into drivers who rest their left foot on the brake pedal in normal traffic. I really haven't noticed this that I recall, but I agree: that would be annoying.
But that not what I was referring to.
For example, I use left-foot braking in some of the manual transmission race cars I drive. This helps with transitioning car weight during very high slip angles at high speed. And it can be used to help "rotate" the car at racing speeds.
The brake pedal on the 718 is harder to access with my left foot than even some of the, 3-pedal manual trans cars I have raced.
It sounds like you understand what left foot braking is all about. Back when I was racing in SCCA events, both road racing and Solo II (autocross) everyone who was really competitive used left foot braking on either manual or automatic transmission vehicles. As you know it's not exactly natural, especially for some one who has been driving for many years before experimenting with left foot braking and especially with a manual transmission. The combination of left foot braking, heal and toe throttle/brake use, and shifting while using the clutch takes some getting used to. I learned by practicing the technique on the street and once I got good at it, I used left foot braking all the time; however, I never rested my foot on the brake enough to illuminate the brake light. I can see how that would annoy people.

Now that I no longer race and with both my cars having auto transmissions, I don't use left foot braking much on the street unless I'm acting like a fool and playing boy racer on a lightly traveled country road; i.e. doing that "inappropriately fast driving on public roads" that you mentioned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just passed 18 months of ownership and have loved every moment driving this car...it is close to perfect.

Just a couple of things that could be fixed....
a> the doors have non-illuminating reflectors. I solved this problem by installing LED's in each reflector (fishing the wires for electrical connection does require patience). BTW, I do have the power mirrors that include courtesy lights....these courtesy lights are somewhat useless as they provide inadequate light
b> the placement of the oil filter is insane....changing the filter absolutely requires a lift and special tools (and maybe skill as a contortionist). This design discourages owner maintenance of what should be a simple task....changing the oil and filter on my old Boxster was a snap and rarely took more than 20 minutes

·
Registered
337 Posts
I hate the way that with just over 3500 miles on the clock, my leather seats have started to show dents in the seat base. Now I’m no heavy weight (67kgs) but I’d I’ve thought the leather would be better quality.

·
Registered
129 Posts
After a week of ownership I have a small list of dislikes that in no way take anything away from the enjoyment of this amazing car.

• When driving alone, the passenger seatbelt bangs against the interior plastic. Has anyone found an easy solution?
  • The tire judder/skipping on full lock and cold tires (20 inch wheels).
  • The fake sound generator (pulled the fuse so that's fixed ;))
  • The indicator stalk feels flimsy compared to my daily (Model 3) and previous toy (BMW Z4).
  • The climate control buttons are hard to access with the PDK lever.

·
Registered
578 Posts
After a week of ownership I have a small list of dislikes that in no way take anything away from the enjoyment of this amazing car.

• When driving alone, the passenger seatbelt bangs against the interior plastic. Has anyone found an easy solution?
Solution 😉
Just remind the passenger to slide it back when leaving the car.

·
Super Moderator
1,777 Posts
<snips>
  • The tire judder/skipping on full lock and cold tires (20 inch wheels).
That can be fixed by not driving in the cold and/or wet. 😁
or by using non-sticky narrow tyres and re-adjusting the front suspension. Of course the car won't handle at all well afterwards, but...

·
Registered
129 Posts
That can be fixed by not driving in the cold and/or wet. 😁
There's no way I'm going to stick it in the garage until spring ;)
It's only when parking so it's not a big deal. It just scared me a little the first time I drove off and didn't know what it was.

·
Registered
'18 718 CS, Pdk, Night Blue met. Agate grey int. 14 way H/V seats20" Carrera, PSE, PrmPkg
52 Posts

For the seat-belt part, I recently got these. Rubber goes around the hard plastic on the belt end and prevents rattle in any position when the belt is not in use.
Amazon or similar: "BleuMoo Car Seat Belt Buckle Covers"

·
Registered
2017 Boxster 718S Graphite Blue
229 Posts
Just leave the passenger seat belt “done up” as if someone is sitting there....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Nothing much to dislike about a car. Especially if it is specced to your needs and comfort requirements.
The only two things that could have been improved are hold function and back shell of sport plus seats.
First one is a nonsense as it should work by just pressing the brake pedal all the way on any incline or flat surface.
Second one just looks cheap, plasticky and out of place in such a beautiful interior. I know you can option it out with leather finish but the price for the option bites.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
First one [the hold function] is a nonsense as it should work by just pressing the brake pedal all the way on any incline or flat surface.
That's how it works, at least with the PDK. If the car is on a sufficiently steep incline it turns on my itself. Or if you press the brake pedal a little harder than "normal" it turns on . Isn't that what you are asking?

·
Registered
122 Posts
That's how it works, at least with the PDK. If the car is on a sufficiently steep incline it turns on my itself. Or if you press the brake pedal a little harder than "normal" it turns on . Isn't that what you are asking?
Mine is a manual and it doesn’t work this way. It’s been discussed here already and unfortunately you cannot activate it manually .

·
Registered
199 Posts
My 2021 Cayman is a pretty car, more attractive than a 911 in my opinion. However it has too much "stuff". As the entry level Porsche "sports car" I'd like to see it a little more basic. When I bought my 1968 911 fifty two years ago it seemed plenty fancy and luxurious to me. My new Cayman weighs 40% more than my 911 and the 911 was a four seater........kind of. To tell you the truth, my Cayman has a lot more in common with my gigantic Porsche Panamera, a 4 door luxury sedan, than it does with my 911.

181 - 200 of 220 Posts