Porsche 718 Forum banner

201 - 220 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
My 2021 Cayman is a pretty car, more attractive than a 911 in my opinion. However it has too much "stuff". As the entry level Porsche "sports car" I'd like to see it a little more basic. When I bought my 1968 911 fifty two years ago it seemed plenty fancy and luxurious to me. My new Cayman weighs 40% more than my 911 and the 911 was a four seater........kind of. To tell you the truth, my Cayman has a lot more in common with my gigantic Porsche Panamera, a 4 door luxury sedan, than it does with my 911.
What kind of 'stuff' would you drop? I don't view my 718 as having a lot of excess stuff I wouldn't want in a car in 2021.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
The 911 has two rows of seats, the Cayman has two trunks! At this stage of my life (my kid is 6' 2") i go for the Cayman.

By the way, have you seen 'your' 911 in its latest incarnation? Grossly oversized... And overweight!... Compared to the Cayman.

Yeah, your 911 MY68 may weigh less, but so did I in 1968... Most of us grow up! ...and up! ...and up!:eek::rolleyes:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Everything to love, nothing to hate, a few minor thing to improve. The word "hate" and "Porsche" are just hard to use in the same sentence.

·
Registered
529 Posts
It was in actual cargo space. Battery area was completely dry.
It seems almost every woman in my life has been obsessed with carrying bottles of water with them at all times. Even I have had bottles of water in the trunk at times like when going to/from the beach. Could a plastic water bottle etc. have leaked? Its happened in my cars.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think I know what happened. I've used an outdoor car cover last week. Took it off when it was still wet. Placed it in the trunk temporarily with the idea to take it out once I returned home. Forgot to take it out and left it in for a few days.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Most liked: quickness, chassis dynamics, ride/handling equation, design, comfort, engine flexibility, manual transmission; In short, everything
Most disliked: have to remember to always hit the auto engine shutoff button; should be an option that keeps the shutoff dead until I get rid of the car :)
I had a Mini S before my Cayman, and the stop/start stayed off if you turned it off. Porsche should do that too. I've gotten used to pushing the button every time I start the car, but I'd rather not have to. Maybe I should just let it do its thing, but it would increase the chance I'd need a new starter which would probably cost a few thousand dollars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Definitely love the way it accelerate and handle. Like it more than my 911 especially low end torque. I had 2010 c2s. This one is 2018 GTS. Steering and nibbleness is hard to beat, and has that perfect weight distribution. The sound is OK.. Definitely not flat 6 lol.. I hate the fact that little things were optional - auto dimming mirrors, blind spot monitor, auto high beams, remote start... I mean wtf - it's 90k+ dollar car. Even Hyundai has those options standard..

·
Super Moderator
1,777 Posts
I hate the fact that little things were optional - auto dimming mirrors, blind spot monitor, auto high beams, remote start... I mean wtf - it's 90k+ dollar car. Even Hyundai has those options standard..
You could have, of course, just bought the Hyundai.😁
Seriously though, I'm happy to have them as options because I didn't want all the fancy stuff. I wanted a car where the money went into quality design and engineering.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Definitely love the way it accelerate and handle. Like it more than my 911 especially low end torque. I had 2010 c2s. This one is 2018 GTS.
You're convincing me that if I want a 911 it will have to be 997 turbo. I guess I'm a Porsche apostate because I have zero desire for normally aspirated 911's, and instead prefer 928, 944, 718, and 911's with turbos.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You're convincing me that if I want a 911 it will have to be 997 turbo. I guess I'm a Porsche apostate because I have zero desire for normally aspirated 911's, and instead prefer 928, 944, 718, and 911's with turbos.
I honestly think GTS drives better. In fact I had 944 turbo, 996 c2 and 997.2 c2s out all of them the daily drivability enjoyment goes to cayman gts. It just feels light and fast. Them turbos hard to beat lol. I bet after I slap apr tune on it (contemplating hard) it will be even better. The problem with na engines is the low end torque - and that's exactly what you need for mixed daily driving. I used to drive my 911 in sports mode only as it was otherwise annoying lol

·
Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
548 Posts
The options cost lament is kind of silly. Think of it as a $15k or so pricier car, but you have the choice to NOT pick certain things if they don't matter to you, and save that expense. Nearly every other car brand is minimally customizable: a few different trim lines and a few option "packages". Tailored suit vs off the rack.

Reactions: JazzCatGab

·
Registered
12 Posts
The options cost lament is kind of silly. Think of it as a $15k or so pricier car, but you have the choice to NOT pick certain things if they don't matter to you, and save that expense. Nearly every other car brand is minimally customizable: a few different trim lines and a few option "packages". Tailored suit vs off the rack.
I don't think buttons and pockets should be optional on that suit 🤣

201 - 220 of 220 Posts