Porsche 718 Forum banner

141 - 160 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Things I really like:
1. The front fender creases from the driver's seat.
2. The wider rear wing.
3. The bigger brakes.
4. The design of the front and rear fascias.
5. The Bi-Xenon headlights.
6. The shape of the twin exhaust pipes.
7. That I can make the engine quiet ("Soundaktor" fuse removed) when I want.
8. The power when I want it.
9. That I can get a manual transmission.
10. The handling................ I could go on but you get the idea!

I am sure that I could find a few things to complain about, but what's the point? It is a privilege to have such a wonderful car to drive !:D

over
I agree with you with #'s 2 - 9. However, # 1 is a huge eyesore to me. I cannot wrap my head around those front fender creases. The "bubble" fender look is iconic, and one of Porsche's signature designs. To make it worse, in my eyes, the creases - beginning in 2013 (981), have only gotten deeper. The interrupted smooth and curvy flow disturbs me. They look, well... ordinary/ common. I would plotz if Porsche installed them on the 911. I do not own a 718; driven plenty... Masterful, precision machine.

·
Registered
831 Posts
over
I agree with you with #'s 2 - 9. However, # 1 is a huge eyesore to me. I cannot wrap my head around those front fender creases. The "bubble" fender look is iconic, and one of Porsche's signature designs. To make it worse, in my eyes, the creases - beginning in 2013 (981), have only gotten deeper. The interrupted smooth and curvy flow disturbs me. They look, well... ordinary/ common. I would plotz if Porsche installed them on the 911. I do not own a 718; driven plenty... Masterful, precision machine.
I happen to really like the creases.
MOO

·
Super Moderator
1,874 Posts
I happen to really like the creases.
MOO
Seconded. It was one of the many reasons I chose a new 718 over a CPO 981 (I drove them back-to-back at a dealer). It felt modern and crisp, whereas the 981s felt meh.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Seconded. It was one of the many reasons I chose a new 718 over a CPO 981 (I drove them back-to-back at a dealer). It felt modern and crisp, whereas the 981s felt meh.
I really prefer the look of the 718 as well vs prior gen. Far better front and rear IMO.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I love the 718 fenders. It reminds me of the LeMans prototypes with their massive fenders and the deeply sloping 'frunk'. Seeing it as I drive it I mean...

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
Me too, I love the creases in the fenders. They are part of what sold me on a 718. They seemed to accentuate the lines.

·
Registered
24 Posts
They probable do the same job with PDLS+ but the 718's 4-point LED running lights look much cooler and make the 718 LED differentiation from Xenons more noticeable.
Confused. How does a fender design "feel" "modern and crisp"? I think you mean "looks" "modern and crisp". In any event, to each their own. Give me the 987 (and earlier gen) front fenders any day. I didn't mention this in my initial post, but that is the reason I will not buy a 718, albeit it's superior and stellar performance, that is above and beyond the previous Boxster generations.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Confused. How does a fender design "feel" "modern and crisp"? I think you mean "looks" "modern and crisp". In any event, to each their own. Give me the 987 (and earlier gen) front fenders any day. I didn't mention this in my initial post, but that is the reason I will not buy a 718, albeit it's superior and stellar performance, that is above and beyond the previous Boxster generations.
Well, I think visual clues can have a visceral effect and so seeing something can evoke a feeling. I'm all for smooth and round for many things, including aspects of my 718, however, I think the current front end design looks more aggressive and therefore more distinctive by Porsche standards. So your repulsion of the looks of the 718 front is a legitimate critique, but certainly not one with which I agree.

·
Super Moderator
1,874 Posts
To each, their own, indeed. For me, it 'feels' modern and crisp because of how it demarcates the car in my sight lines as I drive. For me, the difference was palpable since, as I stated before, I drove a 718 and 981 within minutes of each other while I was car shopping.

For me, that was not even close to a dealbreaker. I'm sorry that something as comparatively trivial as a fender crease is for you. But that's your prerogative! :)

'Feel' is not limited to one sense, in the literal term. It can involve all senses. For instance, steering 'feel' isn't limited to how your body senses how your directional inputs make the car behave. It's also driven by vision (how the car looks while being operated, visibility, ergonomics), sound (tires, suspension, pavement type) and aesthetics (steering wheel design, as an example) in addition to intangibles regarding your knowledge of the hardware involved (example: electric or electromechanical assist?).

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Give me the 987 (and earlier gen) front fenders any day. I didn't mention this in my initial post, but that is the reason I will not buy a 718, albeit it's superior and stellar performance, that is above and beyond the previous Boxster generations.
My opinion is important only to me so take this for whatever you think it is worth. I like the sharp fender edges. They make the car seem more aggressive. I assume that Porsche stylists did sufficient testing to give the front end low drag regardless how sharp the edges appear. The lack of sharp edges is one thing I dislike about the recent 911's.

But I have to ask. If you won't buy, let alone even like, a 718 because of the fender styling, why are you participating in the 718 forum? Because it gives you an audience to complain to about something you don't like?

·
Registered
24 Posts
To each, their own, indeed. For me, it 'feels' modern and crisp because of how it demarcates the car in my sight lines as I drive. For me, the difference was palpable since, as I stated before, I drove a 718 and 981 within minutes of each other while I was car shopping.

For me, that was not even close to a dealbreaker. I'm sorry that something as comparatively trivial as a fender crease is for you. But that's your prerogative! :)

'Feel' is not limited to one sense, in the literal term. It can involve all senses. For instance, steering 'feel' isn't limited to how your body senses how your directional inputs make the car behave. It's also driven by vision (how the car looks while being operated, visibility, ergonomics), sound (tires, suspension, pavement type) and aesthetics (steering wheel design, as an example) in addition to intangibles regarding your knowledge of the hardware involved (example: electric or electromechanical assist?).
their
Uhhh, sorry, but no. Look and feel are related, but not interchangeable. And "something as comparatively trivial as a fender crease" is not trivial to me, and put, or state more accurately, slammed the brakes on a purchase. XXXXXXX

(Edited by Moderator DriveInHouston).

·
Registered
24 Posts
My opinion is important only to me so take this for whatever you think it is worth. I like the sharp fender edges. They make the car seem more aggressive. I assume that Porsche stylists did sufficient testing to give the front end low drag regardless how sharp the edges appear. The lack of sharp edges is one thing I dislike about the recent 911's.

But I have to ask. If you won't buy, let alone even like, a 718 because of the fender styling, why are you participating in the 718 forum? Because it gives you an audience to complain to about something you don't like?
Why? Because as I've written in my previous posts; the 718 is a masterful, precision machine. I've been driving Porsches since the 70s, and they never fail to please. The front fenders on the 718 are my only bone of contention. Don't blow my one and only criticism out of proportion.

·
Registered
368 Posts
This is so true. Feel encompasses all senses. I can feel for those long-time Porsche folks who like sheet metal curves. I prefer creases and that is why I greatly prefer the 718 styling to the original Boxster, which left me flat.

·
Super Moderator
1,874 Posts
This is so true. Feel encompasses all senses. I can feel for those long-time Porsche folks who like sheet metal curves. I prefer creases and that is why I greatly prefer the 718 styling to the original Boxster, which left me flat.
Yup. Plainly the member who disagrees above is not, and have never been, a musician. If you play music by 'feel' by his definition, all you're doing is spitting out notes.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Let's not continue with the 'member who disagrees above'... It spoils the good vibes of the forum :)

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
their
Uhhh, sorry, but no. Look and feel are related, but not interchangeable. And "something as comparatively trivial as a fender crease" is not trivial to me, and put, or state more accurately, slammed the brakes on a purchase. XXXXXXX

(Edited by Moderator DriveInHouston).
To the forum members:

Please be advised that aggressive or vulgar or demeaning language is not acceptable in the forum. It is conducive to flame wars and ruins the good atmosphere in the forum. You can disagree with another member and post your opinion politely, this is what the forum is all about, discussion.

Offensive language will be edited out and warnings/temporary bans/even permanent bans will be given, depending on the severity of the offense and the subsequent behavior of the offender.

Thank you,

On behalf of the Moderating Team,

DriveInHouston

·
Registered
315 Posts
A major dislike turned into a nice little find . . .

The lack of center console cup holders is understandable given the nature of the 718, however, the passenger in-dash cup holder compromise is all but useless. A major dislike.

Per other 718 owner recommendation, I purchased the Ultimate Cup Holder with some hope, but little in the way of expectation. This d*mn thing works. Very little thing that far exceeds expectation toward convenience it provides. Works like a charm.

Anyone tired of trying to secure a Diet Coke or other favorite beverage while driving, the Ultimate Cup Holder is a VERY small investment that will provide HUGE bang for the buck.

AVM

·
Registered
720 Posts
I intend to keep mine a long while.
Therefore, I like the fact that my almost zero-option, base Cayman won't remind me of a duded-up Ford Taurus with a vinyl top and an 8-track player ten years from now. ;)
-------
I do like the car. The driving experience is terrific. I love the PDK box.
Nothing else would really matter if I didn't like actually driving the car.
-------
As for critiques:
--- The cup holder looks like it was designed by someone who does not understand that efficiently, simplicity and elegance are key to a good design.
It looks silly. But I don't really care that much....I don't use it.
--- The brake pedal is awkward for left-foot braking, which is a crime for a car with this gearbox. I have a few drawings made up for a pedal modification. If I find the time, I may change this.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I use the cup holder in long trips, it works fine, unless you put these 5 gallon Big Gulps... looks a bit too flimsy for a 3 lbs Big Gulp...:unsure:(n)

You should have seen the elgant BMW cup holders my MY96 740iL had. You put the wrong size cup in there and it was $500 repair back in 1996!...:eek:

141 - 160 of 185 Posts