Porsche 718 Forum banner

What to love or hate about the 2017+ Porsche 718 Boxster/Cayman?

87K views 374 replies 112 participants last post by  KeinPDK 
#1 ·
If you can share a few things about your ownership of the Porsche 718 Boxster/Cayman, what would it be? The most liked or hated, share them with every one I am sure you won't be the only one. :)

#6 ·
Likes: Low end torque and better acceleration than my 986S. I took me a few weeks, but I now like the look of the 718 better than the 981. Steering is 10% quicker than the 981. While I did not buy the car for this, the infotainment system is excellent. I love the touch screen. Handling is even better than the 981.

Dislikes: I am still getting used to the sound. Porsche spent a lot of money and did a lot of research on the sound of the turbo 4. I would not be surprised if four years from now we are all saying that the 718 sounds better than the flat sixes. Sound tube sounds coming through the fire wall. I only notice this when the roof is up. I am sure I can put something in front of those grills to block the sound. I wish I could open and close the roof with the key fob. I know there is an aftermarket solution so I may look into that.

#7 ·
Dislikes: I wish some (of what I consider to be basic) features were standard. Keyless entry/start. Lane change assist.

Likes: Torque, acceleration, handling. Comfort. Appearance. I like that the radio will still operate for 10 minutes after the engine is shut off with the key removed. I love the way it sounds, too! :D

Reactions: rvacs
#8 ·
Dislikes: I wish some (of what I consider to be basic) features were standard. Keyless entry/start. Lane change assist.
I'm actually really glad those items are not standard. I don't want them, and wouldn't want to have a higher base price for features I don't want and wouldn't use.

#13 ·
--Speed, handling, PDK quick shifting, nimble, torque, chasis, comfort, Looks, new LED tail lights and front facia with wider looking stance

DISLIKES
-- Prefer the back of the 981
-- No way to automatically turn off Engine shut off at stops
-- Getting used to the sound. Putting on Sport mode helps

#15 ·
Has anyone looked into the SmartTop module for US cars so that we can open and close the roof with the keyfob?

I reached out to the manufacturer to get the installation manual before I order as I am not sure if it just plugs in somewhere or there is some wire splicing required. I will check on some of the other forums as well.

#16 ·
I can't see any difference between using the internal roof closing switch or the key fob. With both you have to constantly hold the switch (inside) or button (fob) to open or close the roof. It's not like one represents any significant safety risk over the other & if anything, you actually have a better view as to any possible obstructions when using the fob from outside the car. It seems kind of daft that you don't have it & on a hot day such as today was here it's definitely handy (black tents, even ones on 4 wheels do tend to get pretty warm inside when left in the sun).

#32 ·
With smart top you do not have to hold the key fob to open or close the top. You hit the open button three times and the top will go from closed to down or down to closed based on its present position. In the car you only have to hit the switch to open or close and the top and windows make the complete cycle. You can also open or close the top by touching the door handle in a certain way. I had it on my 981 and on my 718 since last August. It works wonderfully. You install the module under the drivers seat. Unplug the module in the car and put the Smart Top module between it and the car. You can program the windows to end up or down. There are quite a few configurations you can use as the default or change them if you want. Another good module is T-Design Memory module. It is installed in the console and the engine auto cutoff and sport switch stays in the same position they were in when you shut off the car. That is the same as on the 981.

#17 ·
I don't really hate anything about the car, but I have a few minor dislikes.
It doesn't sound like a flat six (sorry, but I still prefer it).
The intakes at the front are leaf & debris gatherers par excellence & I really struggle to get my hand in there to clean them out.
There is no option to raise car for speed humps etc.
In the U.K Porsche connect+ is standard & I'd rather not have it (or have been made to pay for it).
Pretty much everything else is great & I love it!

#20 ·
I am hoping to get my Boxster late next week and wrapping the chrome-like dash and centre console trims are the second item on my to do list. Ordered some samples already, but holding on ordering the actual vinyl sheets util I see the real colour of the seats (two-tone bordeaux-black).
Will post pictures when done. Should be around mid-early July. Plan on doing it myself.

#19 ·
Smart top and Memory Module

The Smart Top module allows you to open and close the top with the remote. Three clicks on unlock will open or close the top. You can set what you want the windows to do. Also just hitting the open or close switch in the car will open or close the top without holding the switch. You can open or close the top by touching the door handle a certain way. T-Design has a memory module that allows the engine cutoff and sport buttons to stay in the same position as they were when you shut off the car. Easy to install but be careful when taking off the trim around the console. It is very flimsy and I think it would break if you just lifted it up and tried to open all the 10 clips. I put a screwdriver under the ones in front and pried them up. The 718 is the most fun car that I have ever driven. I had a 2002 Boxster and a 2014 981 Boxster but no comparison to the 718. Actually these two mods really increased my enjoyment of having the 718. I didn't think anything would do that but both are very nice.

#22 ·
If you need tips on removing trim pieces have a dig around on the macarbon website as it gives some illustrations on how to remove particular pieces.
I already saved their instructions as PDF files :) Found them when I was looking on the other forum, I think
Have the trim removal tools too. - I bought them because I wanted to do the dash trim on the M240 I never got delivered this spring.
Actually I "practiced" this past weekend on my Golf that is going back with the TDI buyback. :) I figured - even if I break a few trim pieces - no big deal. The car will probably not be on the road ever again, anyway >:D

#25 ·
Likes: Almost Everything. My 718 Boxster is better in every way (including sound) than my previous 2012 Boxster.
Dislike: You should be able to turn-on Auto Stop when you want to use it, rather than turning it off when you don't.

#26 · (Edited)
I know it's been around for a while, but I hate the fact that there is no dip stick.
I'm old school and I want to see the oil on the end of that little stick.
I don't trust the computer to tell me the truth, like a dip stick does.
I want to see the oil. Other than that, I love the 718. If anybody has
a way to add a dip stick, please share. What if the computer is wrong
or doesn't work right or worse is hacked???

#27 ·
I don't like the lack of a dipstick either, but the 718 method is better than my 2012 Boxster. With the 2012 you had to let the car idlle for 50-60 seconds before you could get a reading. What a wast of gas and time.

#33 ·
Base manual

Dislikes: Steering wheel heater button location. I hit it often in parking lots. Steering wheel feel (texture). That the recommended method of closing the trunk is pressing on the painted surface. If you get into 1st at too low rpms (bog) it can really take a long time to get up to speed even if you then floor it.

Likes: Handling. Handling. Handling. Tech. Looks. Power. Engine sound (I owned a 964, so I'm family with the flat six sound). Shifter is crisp.

Up for debate: do the vented seats actually do anything?

#34 · (Edited)
Likes: I have about the same leg/head room as my 2016 Suburban, and the 14-ways are very comfortable. Love the standard steering wheel and exhaust in Sport (sound, crackles and pops), and am glad I did not get the optional upgrades - not needed. Great handling. The engine is a blast and has lots of character and brashness. Love the look - understated, but with presence. Love that it comes with 18" wheels. Standard suspension is fabulous - composed, compliant, absorbs bumps\impacts very well, and great handling with out being harsh. I think it is easy not to spend a lot of money on options, because the standard stuff is very nice. Not so with the 981(e.g., steering wheel).

Wish it had: More storage options. Different tires - not impressed with the GoodYears. First gear is really high, and I'm still getting use to it. I find myself having to give more revs and slip it a little more than I'm use too on inclines from a stop - even with the hill-holder. I'm coming directly from a 2014 Accord Sport Manual, which is the easiest clutch\shifter in the world - basically an automatic. My prior 2007 Cayman was very Accord like, and do not remember having this adjustment. Much better than my 2009 Cayenne GTS Manual, which was basically geared like a Peterbilt.

#35 · (Edited)
Hate: incessant whining on Internet forums about the sound. (However, since same comments appear on YT videos of 3-time overall Le Mans winning 919, they are starting to seem like a measure of prestige...)

Love: everything else. Fastestlaps.com results that show the 718 S running with the big dogs way beyond its power/weight and price class (incl. the N/A flat-six icons of the above-mentioned whiners).

#39 ·
How could anyone be so hung up on the sound of a car they don't own that they'd still be whinging & whining about it over a year after its introduction? I'm sorry but at best that's just plain odd. If you're a normal & well balanced individual & don't like a particular car then you just don't buy one & that's the end of it. I wonder how many of these critics will have ever actually driven a 718 though? I doubt it's many & the only way you can truly make a credible judgement is from the drivers seat. Mainly the moans seem to come from owners of previous generation cars that are having difficulty accepting that their models have been totally outclassed & outperformed by a smaller capacity car with two fewer cylinders & they just don't like it. I've owned both a 987 & a 981 & the 982/718 is simply a better car. It's faster, has more torque, more horsepower, better handling, better grip, better turn in, better brakes, better infotainment systems (light years better), better pretty much everything than the model it replaced. The one & only aspect it's perhaps not better in is the sonics & so they've jumped on the band wagon & desperately cling to that notion to massage their hurt ego's. The 718 hasn't just hurt their feelings though, I'm pretty sure it's hurt the feelings of a fair few Carrera, Carrera S & Carrera GTS owners as well. With good reason I might add, because as well as having superior handling the 718 now has a very much on par level of performance & they probably never expected that.

#44 ·
That sounds like a great opportunity--can they put that on here in Australia?:laugh: The hidden engine is something I'd love to be able to admire.

Don't worry about the "crowd", they won't go. They already know everything they need to know about the 718.;)

Greg

#45 · (Edited)
Very happy I went. They did a great presentation starting with an old air cooled engine that they are currently rebuilding. One tech started a vintage 911 while we were there and you know what? Sounds very close to my 718 at startup. Very cool actually. Then we progressed through the engine generations for about an hour until we were all standing under a 718S on a lift. Tech at my dealer is great and took his time to answer questions. I learned quite a bit about my car. Mostly that I won't touch anything and will gladly let them work on it...:laugh:
We were about 30-40 people and I was the only 718 owner present. So to keep this post on topic: One thing I love about my car is that it is still rare. Talked to a few Cayman S, GTS and GT4 owners. Everybody was genuinely interested to learn about the 718. Nobody gave me that nonsense I did read from a handful of people on other forums when I was looking...I'm glad real life is different.

#48 ·
Nice. I attended one in our dealership few months ago. It was very educating and pleasant to be able to see the rest of the car or the most important part.

I generally like the styling of the 718, mostly up front. We got the Boxster S for her. After driving it, I understood why it is 718 now and somehow not a continuation of the 981, it feels different. My Cayman GTS sounds different, at points I like to have a more strong and deeper exhaust notes, but 718S without PSE does even sound good of its own in S+. Didn't feel the PSE on 718 compare to non-PSE

At the end of the day, they are all Porsche cars and they are all good.

718S: It is faster:D the infotainment system has finally caught up with the industry for the most part. Having the Sport+ Dial on the steering wheel is a plus. 4 points LED and LED headlights are very nice. Overall is all Love.