Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am awaiting a delivery of a 718 BS in GT Silver, but the Carrera S Wheels are just the default color. I was curious what other wheel combinations have been spec'd and if they would be worth repainting the wheels to achieve that look. Would love to see pics of your cars too :p

·
Registered
74 Posts
I prefer silver but mix it up a little with black center caps to go with the black lugs. (They also have black caps with colored crests...)

·
Registered
165 Posts
I prefer silver but mix it up a little with black center caps to go with the black lugs. (They also have black caps with colored crests...)

View attachment 32815
I have the same but with the optional colored Porsche insignia center caps. Do not know my bolt color.

I thought all German cars were supposed to be GT silver?

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0, Manual
15 Posts
I am awaiting a delivery of a 718 BS in GT Silver, but the Carrera S Wheels are just the default color. I was curious what other wheel combinations have been spec'd and if they would be worth repainting the wheels to achieve that look. Would love to see pics of your cars too :p
The satin platinum option would be my choice. Think that combo looks stunning.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I agree Platinum with GT Silver. Mine are black they are growing on me but I am not a great fan to be honest. Tyres always need to be dressed to look their best.

·
Registered
2020 Boxster 718 S, Chalk, "Bella Beast"
85 Posts
If I were choosing today, just because of brake dust I'd prefer a wheel that the brake dust is the least noticeable. I think that would be the 20" Carrera Sport wheels, not bright shiny silver nor deep black. But those are not as flashy as might be desired to complement a reflective GT silver 718. Dunno.

I've 20" Carrera S Wheels in a bright shiny silver ('Brilliant Silver' IIRC) on my Chalk Boxter S--it gets lots of compliments and I like the appearance of it. But the wheels show the tinge of brownish brake dust after a couple days, taking down the 'shine' of the bright silver wheels.

Many Boxsters I looked at online when searching showed black wheels which were often noticeably dingy with brake dust--even detailed cars on dealer websites showed that tinge on black wheels. I knew that [black] would be a negative for me.

·
Registered
2021 718 Boxster GTS 4.0
29 Posts
Black goes best with GT Silver, but the Aurum example in the second picture would be suitable as well. I just believe the GT Silver pops more with a strong color contrast on the wheels.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Automotive tire Hubcap Alloy wheel Tread

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Darker wheels suit it better, but I am bias.
Are these the Satin Plat?

Black goes best with GT Silver, but the Aurum example in the second picture would be suitable as well. I just believe the GT Silver pops more with a strong color contrast on the wheels.
Which black is on the first picture?

Many Boxsters I looked at online when searching showed black wheels which were often noticeably dingy with brake dust--even detailed cars on dealer websites showed that tinge on black wheels. I knew that [black] would be a negative for me.
Hmm this is a good point. Do you think regular cleanings would prevent the tinge?

·
Registered
782 Posts
I believe so, yes. Mine is a T model Boxster, and the wheels are the same colour as the T specific wing mirrors.
You'll be pleased/surprised to know that the wheel colour on the T is unique to that model. It is neither Satin Platinum or Agate Grey (the colour of the T wing mirrors, stickers and, in the case of a 911, the rear engine slats). The wheels are in fact Titanium or Titan Grey (Paint code D7Z).

Satin Platinum is an option for most Porsche wheels. Agate Grey is a current Porsche colour and can be spec'ed if you choose to match your wheel colour to your bodywork paint (although not sure if that option is currently available), but the only way you can get Titanium Grey (which has a clear coat pain finish), except for maybe as a CXX option, is on a T model.

·
Registered
782 Posts
@DomTheBoxster If you want wheels that blend in with the rest of the car then go Satin Platinum; personally I find this look very "samey" with very little contrast. If you want contrast then go black - I nearly bought a GT4 with this combination, it looks great and I would have loved it, but my last car had black wheels and I just feel they are overdone right now and actually just become black holes with zero defining features. For something different, I think the Aurum suggestion is a very good one, as GT Silver has a hint of bronze in it that would complement the these wheels nicely. If it was me though i'd probably stick with the standard colour - it is simultaneously timeless, classic, and sporty. You can't go wrong.

Extending your wheel choice to Carrera Sport wheels brings even more options, as their diamond cut surrounds offer contrast detailing that makes Satin Platinum or Gloss Black viable option. The same goes for the Turbo wheels.

As far as brake dust goes, it will be an issue on any colour wheel, although Satin Platinum will likely hide it more than most.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Local guy to me has GT Silver Boxster with Silver Carrera S wheels and they look great there is definitely enough contrast, seems to make the GT Silver look darker. I would go for those over the Black I have, as even with my OCD cleaning after a short drive they look dusty.
Carrera classic are also a good choice IMO.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts