Porsche 718 Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Create an optional gutted lightweight version with no A/C, no audio/radio, no sound insulation, race seats, real harnesses, a dip-stick and brake pedal in PDK cars that is more conducive to left-foot braking. This boy-racer version should weight under 2500 lbs.
Just two engine choices - I would offer option of 1999 cc engine (for U2L racing) as well as 2500 cc for cars intended as street hot dogs. All turbo.
Ditch the silly speedometer with teeny graduations and replace with something useful and readable. Delete the horrid cup holder.
Proper wheel studs with lug nuts.
Redesign car with a removeable lid for some engine accessibility. Also, redesign for easier oil-change procedure.

·
Super Moderator
1,272 Posts
The 718 GT4 Clubsport has been out for over a year. Roughly 2900 lbs with a 4lt NA6 and manual gearbox. A strip down racer competing in the national level

·
Registered
639 Posts
The 718 GT4 Clubsport has been out for over a year. Roughly 2900 lbs with a 4lt NA6 and manual gearbox. A strip down racer competing in the national level
Clubsport is cool but it's not street legal, it's too heavy and has the wrong engine.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ide find out what owners would change, not for their opinion but get proper feedback on what doesn’t work as it should or should be better for a Porsche . . .

eg rusted brake hubs (not the disk, the hub!
And so on . . .

·
Registered
374 Posts
Ide find out what owners would change, not for their opinion but get proper feedback on what doesn’t work as it should or should be better for a Porsche . . .

eg rusted brake hubs (not the disk, the hub!
And so on . . .
Yes those hubs can get pretty ratty looking, sad really when you have nice wheels as they provide a poor background...

·
Registered
621 Posts
I don't have any rust on the rotor hats. Maybe Porsche sources them from different manufacturers? As an option, one can always paint them with heat resistant paint.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I wouldn't look towards making the 718 exclusively a pure EV (as some current rumors indicate). I'd look at a hybrid unit to boost the bottom-end of the six cylinder motor, giving us the low-end torque we all love in the turbo fours and the wonderful Porsche flat six sound up high. As a nice side-effect it'd improve emissions and fuel economy significantly without the expense (and drawbacks) of a full EV.

Keep the turbo motors as less expensive options. Work on reducing the costs without going all plastic and cheap—current models are too expensive and the bubble's about to pop, further reducing the audience for two-seater fun cars. (Luxury models should weather the storm OK, though.)

And, yes, I'd quit worrying about cannibalizing 911 sales—make the platform the ultimate two-seater expression of a sports car. I mean, seriously, 911 guys are always going to buy 911s even if other cars out-perform them. Have you heard anyone pissed off that the Taycan's faster than most 911s?

Figure out how to make the GT4 Clubsport package available in the US (c'mon, BMW figured it out).

·
Registered
374 Posts
I don't have any rust on the rotor hats. Maybe Porsche sources them from different manufacturers? As an option, one can always paint them with heat resistant paint.
It has been my observation that the hub isn't rusting, it is the rusty water thrown off of the rotor that lands there... my GMC truck has treated rotors that basically eliminates this problem., and extends the life of the rotor If GM can afford to include it on a pickup then Porsche could on their cars as well.

·
Registered
621 Posts
It has been my observation that the hub isn't rusting, it is the rusty water thrown off of the rotor that lands there... my GMC truck has treated rotors that basically eliminates this problem., and extends the life of the rotor If GM can afford to include it on a pickup then Porsche could on their cars as well.
Some above have said the "brake drum" or "brake him" is rusting. That's a rotor hat AFAIK. I suggested if that's occurring, they can paint them. They can use heat resistant paint that matches their wheels. Hmmm? I may do that even though mine aren't experiencing the rust issue. I think this would take an hour or so to do.

I have to check my truck for the coating you mention, but wouldn't any treatment be scrubbed off by the pads?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Some above have said the "brake drum" or "brake him" is rusting. That's a rotor hat AFAIK. I suggested if that's occurring, they can paint them. They can use heat resistant paint that matches their wheels. Hmmm? I may do that even though mine aren't experiencing the rust issue. I think this would take an hour or so to do.

I have to check my truck for the coating you mention, but wouldn't any treatment be scrubbed off by the pads?
I shouldn't have used the word treatment, here is an article about the process and its benefits.

I have zero rust and virtually no brake dust on my truck wheels...

·
Registered
621 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Re-map Normal mode to get rid of lag. It changes up far too early.
Fit Michelin P4S as standard, particularly on the wider Sport wheels to offer some rim protection - the P-Zero has none! The P4S don't crab near as bad as the P-Zero and have better wet weather grip (nothing wrong with P-Zero in warm/dry weather but as we only get about 5 days of such weather, the P4S is better suited to UK driving.
Some paint protection on the rear arches near the vents in front of the rear wheels. My car looks like it's been machine gunned!
Larger rotors on steel braked cars - they look lost behind 20" wheels. I have no complaints about braking performance though.
Improved exhaust note (say no more).
Interior refresh to distance it from previous iterations of the Cayman and Boxster and to bring it up to date ala' 992. Better switchgear - the present stuff feels cheap. While they're at it, re-vamp the GT steering wheel as it looks busy and cheap, particularly if fitted with steering wheel controls.
Improved in-car tech - Porsche are part of the VAG group and Audi do tech a lot better than Porsche - if the Macan get get engines from Audi, why don't Porsche utilise their expertise in tech and interiors?
Fit alluminium strip on the interior doors to non-full leather interiors.
Android Auto in addition to Apple CarPlay (I have recently invested in an iPhone and other than the camera it seems like a backward step and I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't for CarPlay)
Fit some kit that is standard of cheap hum-drum cars and shouldn't be optional on an expensive sports car i.e. cruise, climate control, auto mirrors/wipers.
Bin those Heath Robinson cup holders altogether or fit ones that can actually hold a cup!
Better selection of colour options.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts