Porsche 718 Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
I wouldn't put de-tuned engines in the 718s. The 911 platform and the 718 platform are fundamentally different (just physics). Let buyers select the platform; each has their pros and cons, but don't play games with the engines just to protect one platform. Of course I'd have to increase the price of the 718 to match the 911 with the SAME engine. The 718 shouldn't be an "entry level" car, just a different one. Just my $0.02.
Interesting idea that has merit, but I don't think it will ever happen, the 911 is positioned to be the top dog, they (Porsche) won't change that.

Fortunately for me I have never wanted a 911, give me the mid-engine chassis and all it has to offer, Porsche knows they have one of the best 2 seat sports cars out there and now that the 992 has become more of a touring car the choice is actually clearer, the 718 is what a drivers car should be.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Panorama had an interview with a current designer at Porsche (sorry I don’t remember his name and the magazine isn’t nearby) who waxed eloquently about the aesthetics of the 914. He went on to talk about how bringing a similar aesthetic to today’s cars could be a big seller. In particular he focused on a “stripped-down, not cheap” approach to a pure sports car, eschewing all the electronics and luxury gimmicks. I think Porsche may be trying to find an alternative to the bloated 911 platform. I don’t know why the 718 platform couldn’t serve that purpose, unless they believe it is too established in the marketplace to pivot like this.
Another interesting idea, however again I would be surprised if it were to happen, they have made immense profits from options, most would say thet design their marketing strategy and cars to feed into this, Exclusive Manufaktur is but part of the process.

A stripper for Porsche seem to be the "T" model in a line, but one could hardly call it a stripped down offering. I would go on to say they prefer to be upscale and less affordable then other marques, I have talked to a number of owners who want it that way too.

All of the above conspires to keep Porsche from offering a simple pure sports car. I guess you could say the older models like the early 911, 914 or 356 are more pure, but with their popularity growing they have become quite expensive in their own right.

·
Super Moderator
1,442 Posts
Another interesting idea, however again I would be surprised if it were to happen, they have made immense profits from options, most would say thet design their marketing strategy and cars to feed into this, Exclusive Manufaktur is but part of the process.

A stripper for Porsche seem to be the "T" model in a line, but one could hardly call it a stripped down offering. I would go on to say they prefer to be upscale and less affordable then other marques, I have talked to a number of owners who want it that way too.

All of the above conspires to keep Porsche from offering a simple pure sports car. I guess you could say the older models like the early 911, 914 or 356 are more pure, but with their popularity growing they have become quite expensive in their own right.
Like a street legal GT4 Clubsport, 718 Clubsport or whatever...

I like that!... It's not gonna happen. There are not enough petrolheads left to start a revolution (like 20k Clubsports a year sold...).

·
Registered
397 Posts
It's too bad they didn't just pump the 2.5T up to 400hp and corresponding torque. So easily done. But, they have to protect the 911.
Yep, they could have given us 360hp and 330 ft lbs of torque in the 2.0T and 400hp in the 2.5T, but I guess that's what keeps tuners like APR and Cobb in business :cool:

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'll suggest that our current hp ratings for any iteration are based on a financial risk analysis. There are likely weak links in the components somewhere that the engineers made abundantly clear. To protect themselves from claims over a 4-year period, they played it safe in their application of hp and torque. Well, and just maybe to protect the entry level 911 at little.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'd amp up the price to a ridiculous level so that some of the cars have MSRPs of $90K+.

Oh wait, they did that already. Never mind.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
1st: I'd remove the names Boxster and Cayman. They're not necessary. If it's a 718, then call it 718 roadster and coupe...and you don't need to write "coupe" in the name of the car. We get it.

2nd: I don't hate 4 cylinder engines. I own a Volvo S90 with V60 powerplant (4 cyl; turbo and supercharger...for 316 reliable and torqey HP)...Owned a 2002tii and E30 M3 as well as a Saab 99 and Chevy Vega...all with 4 cylinder engines. I resent the Soundaktor. It's artificial and it makes the car sound cheap and like a modded beater or one with a faulty exhaust. Keep it classy, Porsche! I pulled the fuse on mine after the first drive home from the dealer.

3rd: Although I don't mind 4 cylinder motors per se, the vibes this motor sends through the chassis at some RPMs and loads are not good. The tii was smooth. The E30 was not. The Saab and Vega were smooth. I left out some of the other BMWs I've owned briefly...all 60's cars. All were smooth 4 cylinder cars. I don't expect them to sound like boxer or inlne 6s, but they should not shake the car. I'm not sure if it's drone from the Sport exhaust (set to non-sporty sound in any of the modes). Or if it's these electro-motor mounts that supposedly stiffen up in Sport+. I've noticed very little difference and normally drive in Sport + with exhaust on quiet setting. Anyway, if you're going to give us a 4 cyl, make sure you isolate it properly. That said, the new-found torque is really nice.

4th: What happened to engine braking? Jeez, no matter how many gears I shift down, there's no engine braking on these cars! WTF? I love engine braking to steer the back of the car. It's gone. I thought engine braking was a gas saver too. Not an option anymore...sigh. Is it because of rev-matching? Is it the turbo?

5th: The standard stick shift has too long throws and the stick itself is too tall. I changed it for a sport shifter from Suncoast....It's perfect, but the springs that keep you from accidently going into 5th and 6th are now too strong. I went from 4th into 3rd on the main straight at Putnam last year. Nearly a money shift! Scared the bgezus out of me.

6th: Make auto climate standard equipment...at least on S and GTS. We're paying a lot of money here. The manual system is not good. You can't feel where the setting is (a la slider bars in a cheap hyundai or those big round knobs on E36 and other BMWs. Porsche puts a couple of up/down switches and a bar scale that you must look at..instead of the road. The solution is to have a set it and forget it temp control....but it's optional. Shouldn't be. If you're going to make this optional, then fix your manual controls so they work without looking.

7th: Don't fall into this digital hypnosis where your convince yourself that something is better simply because it can be done. BMW is a great example of a company that is destroying their once very cool cars and turning them into space stations. Drivers are more concerned about the dashboard activities than driving. That's not safe.

8th: If you're going to give us adjustable chassis stiffness and stability and traction controls, exhaust volume, exhaust popping, and engine calibration, just let us pick each thing we want in the custom setting. If I want Sport or Sport+, I have to get throttle blip? Just put the separate functions on the menu and let us pick each.

All that said, I love this car. Comfortable and really quick and way more fun than a 911.

·
Registered
659 Posts
@Yuro I love Putnam Park! I just installed the short shifter in my base Cayman so I can understand where you are coming from. I'm still getting used to it, but so far I've made fewer "confused" shifts than I did with the stock shifter. I'm still a rookie on the track and have to get through Turn 10 faster to get to where I need 5th on the straight. Hoping to have that problem in June at the KYPCA HPDE. As I'm currently downshifting to 3rd in the hairpin Turn 7 and not shifting up to 4th until the Turn 10 exit, the new shifter ought to be perfect! Also, if I can do 103 in 3rd, I should be able to do at least 120 in 4th!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Love the convertible but its just not practical enough. Would be great if the next generation consolidated Boxster and Cayman into a single model with folding hard top. Best of both worlds!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Love the convertible but its just not practical enough. Would be great if the next generation consolidated Boxster and Cayman into a single model with folding hard top. Best of both worlds!
Interesting comment, 'not quite practical enough', just curious what does soft versus hard folding top have to do with practicality?

As for consolidating the cars, perhaps when they electrify but for the ICE models there are significant reasons (performance track scenarios) where the Cayman with a fixed roof is preferable, as it has a much more rigid chassis.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I can see a Cayman Targa, since Porsche owns the term, but not a mechanical hard top. Too much weight and complexity.

A Cayman Targa would be a hoot😎!

61 - 72 of 72 Posts