Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's everyone planning for the 2021 motorsports season with their 718s?

My local PCA chapter has posted their 2021 events and after a year owning the car and not really doing much other than leisure drives I'm finally looking forward to getting out and doing some real driving. I'm a novice so here's my plan:
  1. Autocross School in April (after I get my 2nd vaccine dose)
  2. Autocross events in May, June, and September
  3. Beginners HPDE in October
Is this too much to put the car through? My tires still look new, so I'm hoping they last me the season. Then again, I have the Good Year Eagle F1s that came with the car, so part of what I want to do is wear them out to get PS4s for next season!

·
Registered
158 Posts
What's everyone planning for the 2021 motorsports season with their 718s?

My local PCA chapter has posted their 2021 events and after a year owning the car and not really doing much other than leisure drives I'm finally looking forward to getting out and doing some real driving. I'm a novice so here's my plan:
  1. Autocross School in April (after I get my 2nd vaccine dose)
  2. Autocross events in May, June, and September
  3. Beginners HPDE in October
Is this too much to put the car through? My tires still look new, so I'm hoping they last me the season. Then again, I have the Good Year Eagle F1s that came with the car, so part of what I want to do is wear them out to get PS4s for next season!
Nah, these cars were meant to be tracked, and autocross doesn't put that much strain on them. I plan on tracking my car at least 6 times this year.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You're just warming up. I plan on getting in 25 event days this year at least. At least two sets of tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I track my car every year, hoping to do at least one 3-day track event a month this year. First one is in April at Putnam Park and then in May, Road America! Great start to the season

·
Registered
654 Posts
Currently planning on 8 to 12 HPDE events and 5 autocross events. Then again, I'm extrememly close to pulling the trigger on a membership to Harris Hill Raceway. So the
I track my car every year, hoping to do at least one 3-day track event a month this year. First one is in April at Putnam Park and then in May, Road America! Great start to the season
Fabulous...wish I had the opportunity to do that many events. What tires do you run and how many front and rear sets do you use annually?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I just did a 3-day advanced DE at COTA with PCA. It was awesome.

I highly suggest you get to Hill Country PCA's Schnellfests, if you can, this summer. One of the best deals to drive on COTA, their instructors are great, and they really focus on getting you the best track experience they can. Run VERY WELL.

·
Registered
250 Posts
You'll go through tires and pads. But not too much at all. These cars are built very well and you can drive them very hard and they love it.

Beware, you may wear out the outside shoulders of the tires before the rest of the tire if you're on stock alignment. Bring your car to a shop and have them dial in max camber. You're still gonna wear the shoulders, but it will be less.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts