Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has real comprison... driven both?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I didn't think the 718 GT4 was out in the wild yet?

But I would say it depends on your use case. For me, as a "daily driver" with some track use, and also being at altitude (Colorado), the forced induction won my vote.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't think the 718 GT4 was out in the wild yet?

But I would say it depends on your use case. For me, as a "daily driver" with some track use, and also being at altitude (Colorado), the forced induction won my vote.
Sorry not the 718 GT4...but the last version.

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have seen the Motortrend GT4 vs 718s , Willow Creek track comparison. Bottom line the Gt4 was faster, BUT Randy said that if the 718 had R compound tires like the GT4, the 718 would have been faster. Porsche has a NA 6 in their new 718GT4 RS because they have very little additional investment by putting this engine in the car. The turbo 2.5 liter could easily be tuned to blow the doors off the NA 6. And one of the reasons that Porsche went to turbo engines so long ago in endurance racing is because they develop torque at lower rpm compared to a NA engine, and can get the same performance during a race using less fuel. The only advantage to a 6 is the sound at excessively high rpms.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I compared the two and cross shopped a while back. For me, I chose the 718 GTS.

I think it could have gone either way depending on one’s personal preferences and usage of the car.

I figured my car would be something like 70% track, 30% twisty roads

My biggest issues with the GT4 were the ground clearance was a nuisance for a car I want to put a lot of street miles on. In addition, I really didn’t want a wing.

Secondarily, I wasn’t a fan of the gearing on the street and I have three MT cars already so was ready for a PDK, particularly for the track use. In addition, I really do like the kick I the pants I get from the turbo.

The only downside for me with the 718 is people saying “ Wow, you have a Cayman? The GT4 is such a great car. Do you think you’ll get one someday?” Not much I can do about that :(

·
Registered
405 Posts
The 718 GTS provides the best of both worlds, track ready with GT4 performance (esp with R compound tires), yet a very comfortable daily and great for carving tight mountain roads.

GT4 is purely track oriented and no doubt a better car for that environment, but not as good as a daily and the long gears make it less suited for street driving and carving tight mountain roads, although PDK will probably fix that problem in the 718 GT4, if it ever comes.

IMO the 781 GTS with forged wheels like BBS FI-R or HRE R101 LW with GT4 size tires, GIRODISC light weight/larger rotor upgrade and sport PASM will perform on par with a 718 GT4. Tune the GTS to stage 1 and with more horse power and torque it will be in front.

I think the only thing letting the GTS down is it does not have the downforce/areo of the GT4 so it is not going to be as quick in the fast sweepers where downforce starts to play a part.

·
Registered
248 Posts
They are different cars with different USPs. Better at what, being a daily driver? A weekend car? A track car? The answer as to which is better will depend on what you want it to be better at.

For example, much as I wanted a Cayman and lusted longingly for (and almost bought) a GT4 I landed up buying a 911 T. Why? It was the better car for my needs. It is our only car so I use it as a daily driver; I can fit my dog in the back when I need to take him somewhere; fit a week's worth of groceries with room to spare; and I can take it for a back road blast or track day if the urge arises. So for me the 911T is a a 'better' car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
FWIW, my buddy has a 981 GT4 and we've been out a bunch. I can tell you that in a straight line, they're pretty similar and on track, while based on tires and suspension he may be SLIGHTLY faster, on the straights he can't keep up because of the low end torque. but man, his gt4 is stunning!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just really like the gt4. Can't afford a gt3. I do miss the sound of a flat 6. I don't track nor do I daily. I like just heading out for a nice twisty road to get a little aggression out. Been watching lots of vids on it. I love my CGTS MT...but was wondering others thoughts. Thank so everyone! Sound like the CGTS that we have takes the cake. If I don't sell. I will be doing a tue when the warranty is up for sure!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just really like the gt4. Can't afford a gt3. I do miss the sound of a flat 6. I don't track nor do I daily. I like just heading out for a nice twisty road to get a little aggression out. Been watching lots of vids on it. I love my CGTS MT...but was wondering others thoughts. Thank so everyone! Sound like the CGTS that we have takes the cake. If I don't sell. I will be doing a tue when the warranty is up for sure!
Smae thoughts on GT4. I really like it. I am waiting for APR's tune. Will likely add it before warranty expires, but I only want a "stage 1" modest power increase (400 HP peak)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts