Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer has given me accurate and frequent periodic updates to the Porsche build status report as my 2021 Cayman progressed from making the order, to fabrication, to completion, and then transportation to Emden, the voyage across the ocean on Swift Ace, and eventually to Jacksonville. The actual dates have all been ahead of the scheduled and anticipated dates as well as being accurate.

My car was offloaded in Jacksonville the morning of 31 Dec and scheduled to be delivered to Mobile on January 1; an unlikely schedule I thought, but not impossible. However, it did not show up on the first or the second even though the dealer was open for business until 6:00 p.m. both days. They’re closed today, Sunday 3 Jan.

As of now, Porsche still claims a delivery date of 1 January, even that has long since passed. When I asked the local dealer about the delivery process, I inquired about the driver calling ahead and to my surprise they told me the delivery drivers never call and if they arrive when the dealership is closed, they just wait. I find that hard to believe.

Truck drivers, generally speaking, get paid when they’re rolling down the highway and the drivers I’ve met are pretty clever guys interested in maximizing efficiency and minimizing waiting around. Assuming somebody scheduled my car to be loaded on a truck the evening of 31 Dec or early on the morning of 1 Jan so it could meet the published schedule, I find it hard to believe the driver wouldn’t call the dealership to ask if they are open or closed.

Or, if customs, the transportation company, and everyone else was going to knock off Thursday at noon after the ship was unloaded and take time off until next Monday morning, I wouldn’t be surprised except that Porsche should be able to tell me that the delivery schedule has been delayed by four or five days. That would be OK too.

I’ve been kept well advised of the progress of my car up until the moment it reached port, but my dealer claims they have no idea where the car is now, they have no clue about what company will be transporting it, they have no contact information for the Port of Jacksonville, no way to contact the VW group (who I think handle the inbound cars), and no way to get any information other than what Porsche of Germany tells them on their obviously outdated progress report.

This strikes me as Third World service except that I’m not taking delivery of an Iranian built Samand delivered to Zimbabwe. This is a German car being delivered to the United States.

Has anyone else experienced a black-out period when everyone lost track of the car between the inbound port and the dealership? Perhaps this is completely normal.

I have to remind myself that I can do nothing but wait, but I keep wondering if the truck driver took New Year’s Eve off, unloaded my new car, and practiced high speed drunk driving on the hard packed sand of the local beaches. Surely, he’ll sober up soon and get my car back on the truck and headed my way. At least it will be partly broken in, so I’ve got that going for me.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Calm down mate,
your gonna give yourself a coronary it’s only a car!
i should imagine that there are literally hundreds of people in the same predicament at the moment as Porsche don't ship cars singularly on a one to one basis.
you’ve waited this long what’s another week ?
i’m sure if you call Germany they can arrange for the truck driver to be put up against the wall and shot.

Cheers

·
Registered
698 Posts
Has anyone else experienced a black-out period when everyone lost track of the car between the inbound port and the dealership? Perhaps this is completely normal.
I don't have firsthand knowledge, but my bet is "Porsche" updates the end-to-end tracking system your dealer sees with only so much granularity. That is to say, someone knows exactly where your car is to the foot, but it's likely that degree of resolution isn't published in real time to dealers. For example, I'm sure your car is/was one of many to be dropped off along the way, and perhaps out of the way, as the truck makes/made its way across the state of Florida to Mobile. You were already skeptical of delivery on Jan. 1. My bet is you'll get a call by Tuesday. I wouldn't assume anything is wrong.

Let us know, and enjoy your car!

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's the holidays and a long weekend to boot in the US. Chill. My car was 4 days late due to the holiday rush.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Here in the UK, car transporters will only deliver vehicles when the transporter is full and is either dropping everything off in 1 location or multiple locations in close proximity as its more economical. They wouldn't ship 1 car to a dealer then drive 100 miles to drop off another.

It will turn up and taking into account that we are only a few days into 2021, it will probably turn in in the next week.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes. It’s totally normal, even if frustrating.

Bureaucracies come to a halt for any excuse. You’re dealing with at least 3 of them and Christmas/New Year is a good excuse.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Since I am from 3rd world I can comment : emergency goods or Covid supplies can be delivered on holidays such as Xmas or news years eve, in any country of the globe including 3rd world.

A Porsche does not fit this category.

Not even Amazon deliver during those days in US.

Relax you will get your car soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a dealer and the transport company won’t do a 1 off delivery they will want a full or close to full truck load before they head out. It’s not cost effective for them to bring 1 unit to that dealership with no additional stops on the way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts