Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I run 19" stock wheels. Looking to replace my OEM tires (Yokohama) with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.
There are two Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires available with identical specs (except for the tread depth):

Michelin Part No: 05800 - 235/40ZR19/XL (96Y) with 9.5 tread and
Michelin Part No. 37675 - 235/40ZR19/XL (96Y) with 9.0 tread

Looking to find out which one is the right part for my 2018 base 718 Cayman? The online tire selector at Tirerack is not really clear about the part numbers.
For reference, the rear tire has 9.5 tread depth. Appreciate any help.

Best,
Lakshman

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. There's no N rated MPS4S tires available for 18" or 19". Its only available in 20".

·
Registered
2017 Boxster 718S Graphite Blue
139 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Looks like the 9.5 tread is correct.

I see the same thing as you on tirerack, no N spec available in those sizes. Their recommendation is actually a generic 235/40 front and Mercedes spec 265/40 rear.

·
Super Moderator
1,874 Posts
@Lax First off, welcome to the forum!
Now: Michelin's website actually lists the 235/40-19 PS4S with Part No. 05800 as the one with a 9.5/32-inch tread depth. The one with Part No. 37675 has the 9/32-inch tread depth. I'd make sure that, wherever you're obtaining your tires from, that you're getting Part No. 05800.

@dkmajm: Unless Australia has its very own N-spec program, that is false advertising. Both Porsche and Michelin have stated clearly that N-spec PS4S tires that fit the 718's OEM rims are only available in 20-inch diameters, and that there are no plans to change that. There are several other discussions in this subforum about that issue.

Reactions: grasmere

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Viffermike for the clear guidance! I will call Costco tire center and ask them to change to 05800.
Best

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
As I posted over on another site:

"The 37675 is the N0 (Porsche-specific) version of the tire; the 05800 is the general purpose version.

I'd jump on whichever stock you can find; Michelin has been hit hard by COVID-related factory shutdowns, especially for their tires made in France (like the N0 spec), and are not producing volumes of sport tires at the moment. I've got Corvette customers unable to get Cup 2 tires until Spring or Summer of next year."

Contrary to what @Viffermike (and others) have heard, it appears that Michelin is introducing N-spec PS4S tires in 19" sizes. Here's my chat with them:

·
Super Moderator
1,874 Posts
As I posted over on another site:

"The 37675 is the N0 (Porsche-specific) version of the tire; the 05800 is the general purpose version.

I'd jump on whichever stock you can find; Michelin has been hit hard by COVID-related factory shutdowns, especially for their tires made in France (like the N0 spec), and are not producing volumes of sport tires at the moment. I've got Corvette customers unable to get Cup 2 tires until Spring or Summer of next year."

Contrary to what @Viffermike (and others) have heard, it appears that Michelin is introducing N-spec PS4S tires in 19" sizes.
Hmmm. This is interesting for three reasons:
  • The version for Porsche is the version with the shallower tread depth -- which makes me think there could be other differences between 37675 and 05800. This is because a visual inspection of the 20-inch N-spec PS4S versus a 19-inch off-the-shelf PS4S revealed that the tread's rain grooves were twice as wide on the N-spec tire. The difference in diameter and relative width can't account for that large of a difference, so I've got to think the wider grooves are part of the N spec.
  • The Michelin rep doesn't use 'N-spec' in his response. He just says they're 'for Porsche'. There's some gray area there that the rep may not be aware of because of my third reason:
  • Porsche has not announced that 19-inch N-spec PS4Ss have become available that I've seen. Has anyone inquired about their availability at Porsche dealers since June?

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
FWIW, Tire Rack's warehouse software labels the 37675 as "NA0 Porsche", so per Porsche's nomenclature that means it's been developed for the 992.

·
Registered
2017 Boxster 718S Graphite Blue
139 Posts
Australia, as shown above, get 19” Michelin ps4s n-rated!?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for that information, sobiloff. This discussion has become somewhat mute considering that 05800 is not currently available. I went to Costco yesterday to have them change my order from 37675 to 05800 when they called Michelin and found out that 05800 are not available now. So, I just stuck with the 37675. Good to know that they are N0 spec rated (at least in the 20 inch version). Thanks again for the information.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts