Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've observed those who love cars generally also love the art and old-school craftsmanship of mechanical watches (manual or automatic).

Show us what you've got, I expect to blown away by some amazing pieces.

Here's my fairly basic collection for now. A Speedmaster is in my very near future. But, let's start with what I have...

Omega Seamaster Diver 300M with a ceramic bezel. If it's good enough for James Bond.... :)

The case back is the classic Seamaster logo.

My next purchase was a dress watch. After searching high and low for exactly what I was looking for, I came across the Nomos brand (German movement) and fell in love with their unique pieces.

This is the Nomos Ludwig Automatic. I love the blend of classic with a minor modern touch. While the conservative dial has roman numerals (not all the way around, thank goodness) and a railroad track border, the hands are blue. Cool touch.

This piece does have an exhibition case back which shows off the gorgeous in house movement.

In order to have a more complete set of mechanical watches, I picked up this Seiko for a whopping $100!

It's such a bargain for a daily beater automatic watch. I am so impressed with it, especially for the money. The movement, while fairly bullet proof, is very basic. It's an early 1990s movement from the Japanese company with no manual wind or hacking feature. It's just a straight up machine made no frills automatic.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I've observed those who love cars generally also love the art and old-school craftsmanship of mechanical watches

I think so, @R Doug

I also have a couple beater Seiko automatics, plus a bunch of German and Swiss names.

Guess I was into watches for a while there. Cheaper than cars but more expensive than anything else....

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've been into mechanical watches for well over 30 years. In the 90s and early 2000s I was an avid collector. At one time my eclectic collection had about 100 watches. And I owned hundreds. I've had just about every brand back then. Some were vintage. Some were current at the time. It was an obsession.

My all-time favorite watch is the Omega Speedmaster Professional. Wish I had one today.

I have only one watch now. It's just a Rolex Sub. I don't even care much for it and doesn't get much wrist time. Only when wearing a watch is appropriate. It was my father's so I won't sell it.

Maybe someday I'll have the Speedy again. But, it's not a priority. Getting a Cayman and R1200RT are first on the list long before buying watches again.

I do miss listening to a slow-beat manual wind though.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I knew this thread would not disappoint.

@timlaw, nice pieces! I love the Tudor Black Bays and the Rolex GMT Master (Pepsi).

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have been collecting watches since I was 16 and actually build my own using genuine OEM parts I have picked up over the years from various sources. I usually am buying and selling them weekly. Here are a few long time favorites and a couple recent builds.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,823 Posts
I got nothin'. I rarely wore a watch until my recent Apple Watch acquisition ... Gotta draw the line somewhere on my salary. ;P

Doesn't mean I don't appreciate what's here, though -- especially that titanium Omega, @timlaw . Sharp!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I knew this thread would not disappoint.

@timlaw, nice pieces! I love the Tudor Black Bays and the Rolex GMT Master (Pepsi).
thanks

you have a good eye sir

I am really loving the tudor black bay GMT which was my most recent purchase in June 18 - for a swiss watch from a good brand it was pretty reasonable at a little over £2500 new

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have been collecting watches since I was 16 and actually build my own using genuine OEM parts I have picked up over the years from various sources. I usually am buying and selling them weekly. Here are a few long time favorites and a couple recent builds.
very nice mayzo

I have had a few of those over the years but you cant keep em all and avoid the bankruptcy courts!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I got nothin'. I rarely wore a watch until my recent Apple Watch acquisition ... Gotta draw the line somewhere on my salary. ;P

Doesn't mean I don't appreciate what's here, though -- especially that titanium Omega, @timlaw . Sharp!
thanks

I am a little pedantic by nature so the omega is a speedmaster mark II and is actually stainless steel - confusion no doubt caused by my lousy photography with an iphone

·
Registered
433 Posts
I appreciate fine watches and have a friend that is a collector and I enjoy them vicariously through him. I, however am not a watch or jewelry person. I just was never able to get comfortable wearing them. I'm kinda a minimalist and don't like to carry much in my pockets either. They sure are works of art though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
very nice mayzo

I have had a few of those over the years but you cant keep em all and avoid the bankruptcy courts!
The great thing about watches is that they are easy to store and easy to sell. When bought properly you can even make a few bucks (or lose a few). I just do not get the same smile per mile with watches as I do with cars. Which is why I will continue to spend way too much on them. I have to give credit to the automobile for my work ethic. If not for the need to make more money to buy more cars I would have no reason to work so hard.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got my lust for Porsches and watches at the same time 50 plus years ago! My favorite watch Is Bremont’s Wright Flyer!

I LOVE how Bremont does the rotor on that watch with the 3D airplane prop. It's worth owning if only for that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I LOVE how Bremont does the rotor on that watch with the 3D airplane prop. It's worth owning if only for that.

The thing that sold me was the small piece of fabric from original 1903 Wright Flyer.!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
372 Posts
Here are my favorite movements. I actually prefer the 1861 over the 321. One for aesthetic reasons and the other is I prefer a cam over the column wheel. Most "snobs" will tell you a column wheel is preferred. I say the cam is more durable. What you give up in some smoothness of operation, you gain in longevity with the cam operation.

For those that are unfamiliar, these are the movements of the Omega Speedmaster Professional. One of the most iconic watches of all-time. And my personal favorite.

It (the 1861) may not be the most intricate movement with the most complications. It may not be the best finished movement ever. Yet, it's one of the most durable high-quality manual wound movements ever manufactured.

If you see one in action it is truly mesmerizing to behold.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Patek, JLC, Zenith, Nomos and other established in-house movements. That said, the movements inside the Speedy Pro are, to me, everything that mechanical watches and watchmaking represent.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 116 Posts